Hooligan Windscreen Rubbing On Front Cowling

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

imgoingsomewhere

Hooligan Windscreen Rubbing On Front Cowling

Post by imgoingsomewhere »

Greetings All,
I have a 2015 Hooligan and the dealer installed the Prima Windscreen.

Over the course of the 18 months that I have had it, the windscreen has vibrated and is rubbing against the front cowling. Over time it has rubbed the finish off of the cowling and I am concerned that it will rub through and create a hole.

The dealer told me that the cowling had been redesigned and that it was just going to rub when it vibrated.

The bracket breaking has forced me to re-examine what the dealer told me.

I just got the installation instructions from Scooter works and it looks like it was installed correctly.

I am wondering two things:

1. Has anyone else had this problem: The windscreen rubbing against the cowling?

2. Are there windscreen options other than the Prima Windscreen?

Thanks for all thoughts on this.

Regards!
skipper20

Re: Hooligan Windscreen Rubbing On Front Cowling

Post by skipper20 »

imgoingsomewhere wrote:Greetings All,
I have a 2015 Hooligan and the dealer installed the Prima Windscreen.

Over the course of the 18 months that I have had it, the windscreen has vibrated and is rubbing against the front cowling. Over time it has rubbed the finish off of the cowling and I am concerned that it will rub through and create a hole.

The dealer told me that the cowling had been redesigned and that it was just going to rub when it vibrated.

The bracket breaking has forced me to re-examine what the dealer told me.

I just got the installation instructions from Scooter works and it looks like it was installed correctly.

I am wondering two things:

1. Has anyone else had this problem: The windscreen rubbing against the cowling?

2. Are there windscreen options other than the Prima Windscreen?

Thanks for all thoughts on this.

Regards!
My Hooligan is 56 miles away from me at the moment so I can't go out and look but I'm pretty sure the windscreen is adjustable up and down. There should be allen screws in the 4 mounts that if loosened will allow you to raise the windscreen up so it will clear the cowling. I've had a windscreen on mine since I bought it new 2 years ago and have never had the problem you're describing. Perhaps another Hooligan owner could check their windshield installation and see if my recollection is correct. If it is, it's a very easy fix. AFAIK, the Prima windscreen is the only one available for the Hooli.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
karl utrecht

Hooligan windscreen rubbing

Post by karl utrecht »

I have a Prima windscreen on my Hooligan.

The windscreen can be moved fore or aft by adjusting the nuts on the bracket below the headset. There certainly is enough adjustment on mine to clear the front of the headset.

And, as the writer above described, the windscreen can be moved up or down by loosening the set screws and sliding the screen up or down.

Hope this helps...but it's a pretty sure bet there is enough adjustment between these two that your windscreen will not rub into your headset.
Karlu
Las Cruces, NM
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

My windscreen was also dealer installed, and it has never rubbed against the scooter. I had the windscreen installed, and after about 3000 miles, because of its design for mounting, has broke the mounting points which are really thin sheet metal brackets welded to the handlebars , and is now not on my scooter. Sadly, and in my opinion, ignorantly, Genuine will not cover the windscreen mounting points under their 'iron clad' warranty, their explanation being the windscreen is an aftermarket part. And yes, the windscreen was installed correctly, by the dealer, using the mounting points Genuine has built on the scooter for the installation of the exact windscreen. So, if you notice any vibration, and movement of the windscreen, I would suggest removing your windscreen, and get those mounting points checked out right away. Imagine cruising along at 50 mph and having the whole windscreen fly up into your face , or it breaking free at 50 mph and falling between your front wheel and the rest of your scooter. I know it sounds a bit scary, but it could happen!