Sudden shut off of 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

Sudden shut off of 170i

Post by GregsBuddy »

Team,
I was riding my well maintained 2015 scoot with 6,800 miles on a 70 mile ride in the hills north of Napa yesterday. Much of my riding was at 55-60 MPH indicated with some long grades both up and down. Ambient was about 80F.
The engine shut down for about 2-3 seconds while riding on a flat at about 45 MPH. I wound the throttle down and back on again and away we went. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? During the ride I felt what I thought was misfires. At ~55 in wind and bumpy roads it's not easy to tell the difference between misfires and wind/bumps. Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to engine and drive train stuff.
Love this scoot and have had exactly no problems with it.
Last edited by GregsBuddy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

Oh, no!

Strangely, this sounds similar to what I'm experiencing on my Buddy 125. For a second, it just feels like the bike is dying out from under me - then back to life.
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30795.html

Please keep us posted!
Chuck
skipper20

Re: Sudden shut off of 170i

Post by skipper20 »

GregsBuddy wrote:Team,
I was riding my well maintained 2015 scoot with 6,800 miles on a 70 mile ride in the hills north of Napa yesterday. Much of my riding was at 55-60 MPH indicated with some long grades both up an down. Ambient was about 80F.
The engine shut down for about 2-3 seconds while riding on a flat at about 45 MPH. I wound the throttle down and back on again and away we went. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? During the ride I felt what I thought was misfires. At ~55 in wind and bumpy roads it's not easy to tell the difference between misfires and wind/bumps. Yes, I'm pretty sensitive to engine and drive train stuff.
Love this scoot and have had exactly no problems with it.
Had the same problem on a long flat near WOT ride in AZ last winter. Engine on my AZ '15 Hooligan 170i shut down at a stop light on return leg. Had to push it to the shoulder where it stared right back up. Ran fine afterwards. Mentioned this to Tucson's Genuine dealer, Scoot Over, on an unrelated visit several days later. Ron, their service manager, told me that this will happen if you go long distances at high speeds without varying the throttle. Paid attention to his advice, varied the throttle on subsequent long trips, and no repeat problems.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green (Seattle scoot)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Hate to say it, but that sounds like the first signs I had when my stator went bad.

It starts out intermittent, but worsens over time.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

A stator failure caused the engine to intermittently shut off while riding? Interesting.
I'll "play" the throttle more on my next longish high speed ride and see if that helps.
I wonder if there's an engine alarm/shut-off for temperature/fuel pressure or some other detail that causes this. If I recall correctly, there's a thermistor in the engine control system. If there's a semiconductor in the ECU there should be a thermistor to shut off the system in the event of overtemperature. Hmmm.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

GregsBuddy,
I just ordered an NCY stator for my Buddy 125... I'm having similar issues.

I'll keep ya posted - probably in a week.
Chuck
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Does the engine completely shut off while moving?

I posted a while ago because on rare occasion my 170i will shut off when pulling the throttle quickly from a dead stop. All I do is hit the ignition and it starts right up again but it can be scary and annoying. I've never had the engine turn itself off while moving. Sounds very dangerous.