Mirror suggestions - layout for narrower driving width

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Mirror suggestions - layout for narrower driving width

Post by jasong222 »

Hey all,

I've a Buddy 50 with the OEM mirrors, and I notice that those are the widest part of the bike. And once or twice when I tried to snake in between something, I knocked a mirror loose.

Any suggestions for either:

Placement of these mirrors so that I can still see but they're angled back 'behind' the plane of the handlebars? Or-

Third party mirrors that work well but are more narrow.

And actually- third bonus question. I notice the mirrors rotate on the ball joint attachment of the stem. Does anyone know what the 'starting position' is for the mirrors? The ball joins the mirror not quite in the center, it's off a little bit. What's the stock 'intention' for the position of the mirror, vis the placement of that ball joint?

Thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Note: right side (throttle) is reverse thread. Just throwing that out there. Any stock Yamaha Zuma 50cc mirrors will work (03-08 years). Narrower than the Buddy, basic black, right side is reverse thread also, durable. Yamaha C3 mirrors also work if the Zuma mirrors are too narrow. There is a thread all about mirrors on here to.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Oh yeah? (On the thread....) I searched... or thought I searched... I'll check again. Different focus maybe... or I missed it. You know, one or the other, lol...

Thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jasong222 wrote:Oh yeah? (On the thread....) I searched... or thought I searched... I'll check again. Different focus maybe... or I missed it. You know, one or the other, lol...

Thanks!
Good point on the right side threads.

The right mirror on many scooters and MCs are reverse thread. This is done in the event that the mirror hits something while riding.

If right handed thread the hung up mirror would snap off or drag the bike down, with left handed it will simply rotate or "unscrew" towards the rider.

There are tons of replacement mirrors available. If you want to keep "stock" look find a pair of 06 Buddy mirrors. The stalk is a bit shorter but I never had a problem with them. I may have a left 06 hanging around but my right broke a few years ago and I replaced with the wider and do like them better.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

[/quote]

Good point on the right side threads.

The right mirror on many scooters and MCs are reverse thread. This is done in the event that the mirror hits something while riding.

If right handed thread the hung up mirror would snap off or drag the bike down, with left handed it will simply rotate or "unscrew" towards the rider.

There are tons of replacement mirrors available. If you want to keep "stock" look find a pair of 06 Buddy mirrors. The stalk is a bit shorter but I never had a problem with them. I may have a left 06 hanging around but my right broke a few years ago and I replaced with the wider and do like them better.[/quote]

Never thanked you for this message- I'll check out the '06 model mirrors.

Thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Many serious lane splitters seem to prefer bar end mirrors as a way to enhance clearance.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Dooglas wrote:Many serious lane splitters seem to prefer bar end mirrors as a way to enhance clearance.
Wut? That makes it worse.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

These BEMs are tucked in pretty tight...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-8-Motor ... 7L&vxp=mtr
Attachments
bem.jpg
bem.jpg (61.26 KiB) Viewed 2321 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
dckick

Post by dckick »

Tagging
Syd

Post by Syd »

dckick wrote:Tagging
:?:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
dckick

Post by dckick »

Syd wrote:
I meant tagging as in following - I'm interested in this post.
Syd

Post by Syd »

dckick wrote:
Syd wrote:
I meant tagging as in following - I'm interested in this post.
Just below the last post, look for this link: "Watch this topic for replies". I think that should send you and email when a new reply appears.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I used a length of Ace Hardware provided, 1/4" x 1" aluminum material to offset the mirror in about 3" on each side. I see my shoulders very well now and with a little movement, a clear view behind me.
This enhances assurance when a share lanes with other vehicles.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Dooglas wrote:Many serious lane splitters seem to prefer bar end mirrors as a way to enhance clearance.
Yeah, I have to agree with others- The idea is to decrease my total width. Putting mirrors out of the ends of the handlebars seems to increase that width.

Although I did look at the link and the actual mirror assembly looks like it does not stick out past the length of the (now slightly longer) handlebar. That might help, because it's easier to judge distance from a point right where my hands are, as opposed to a mirrors that's kinda floating out there in space.

Also, having them on the extreme ends of the bars... they'd 'flail around' more as I'm jiggling/adjusting through a narrow space compared to mirrors that are more centered. But not much, and when navigating a narrow space I'm looking at the handlebars for clearance, not behind me....

And then I'd have to open screw holes where the mirrors are supposed to go. I could cap them with something probably... But ideally I'd find mirrors that go in the designed hole for them... and also not stick out beyond the max-width part of the bike, which is for the buddy the handlebars.

Hm... something to consider... thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

GregsBuddy wrote:I used a length of Ace Hardware provided, 1/4" x 1" aluminum material to offset the mirror in about 3" on each side. I see my shoulders very well now and with a little movement, a clear view behind me.
This enhances assurance when a share lanes with other vehicles.
Can you describe what you mean? I can't picture your solution.....
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

babblefish wrote:These BEMs are tucked in pretty tight...

So I checked my buddy and it doesn't have screw holes on the ends of the handles. Meaning either find handles that are open on the end and change (assuming the inside mechanics will accommodate something screwed in to the ends, something I think is likely they will...) or just cut the ends of the existing handles (assuming the inside mechanics.....) Something to consider maybe...

On the plus side, it does look like these mirrors, if the photo is accurate, would jut out a couple inches less than the current stock mirrors. I'd say 1-3 inches by eyeing it.
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Use the aluminum bar to locate the mirrors closer to the center of the scooter. Use the existing mounting holes and the existing mirrors with a new bolts in the mounting holes and nuts on the mirrors.
I hope this is descriptive enough.
This works very well as my mirrors are now just outside of the windscreen and are no wider than the handle bars. Very narrow.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jasong222 wrote:

So I checked my buddy and it doesn't have screw holes on the ends of the handles. Meaning either find handles that are open on the end and change (assuming the inside mechanics will accommodate something screwed in to the ends, something I think is likely they will...) or just cut the ends of the existing handles (assuming the inside mechanics.....) Something to consider maybe...

On the plus side, it does look like these mirrors, if the photo is accurate, would jut out a couple inches less than the current stock mirrors. I'd say 1-3 inches by eyeing it.
Most BEM have a wedge type contraption that slides into the hollow end of the handlebar and lock in place when a screw on the end is tightened. I replaced the grips on my Buddy with some aftermarket grips that already had openings on their ends. The stock plastic throttle tube is closed on it's end so has to be cut open in order to allow the BEM to slide in.

I plugged the original mirror holes in mine with plastic automotive panel fasteners that I bought at a local auto parts store. They look like metal screws, but are actually plastic and they don't screw in, rather they wedge themselves in place.

Yeah, my mirrors stick out a bit, but so far, I haven't had any problems squeezing between cars. I've seen some BEMs' that are narrower and may give them a try in the future.
Attachments
What I used to plug holes
What I used to plug holes
IMG_6185.JPG (94.24 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Original mirror holes plugged up
Original mirror holes plugged up
IMG_6186.JPG (91.05 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
BEM installed
BEM installed
IMG_6193.JPG (103.72 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
BEM slides into the hole at the end of the handlebar.
BEM slides into the hole at the end of the handlebar.
IMG_6191.JPG (114.23 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Left to right: new grips, stock plastic throttle tube, stock grip with throttle tube still in place.
Left to right: new grips, stock plastic throttle tube, stock grip with throttle tube still in place.
IMG_6188.JPG (101.43 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

babblefish wrote:
jasong222 wrote:
BEM?
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Bar End Mirrors
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Dage'sVew wrote:Bar End Mirrors
ah yes... quite right, thanks-

-J
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
keltick

Post by keltick »

k1dude wrote:
Wut? That makes it worse.
It makes it so if you get too close the mirror takes the brunt instead of your hand. I run foldable bar-ends for that very purpose. Worse case they fold away and I only lose an inch or so of clearance... and I shouldn't be getting into that tight of a squeeze.