Buddy 50 Electric Start Doesn't Work, Will Kickstart

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jgreenb1

Buddy 50 Electric Start Doesn't Work, Will Kickstart

Post by jgreenb1 »

I've been riding around on my Buddy 50cc for a couple of years, but suddenly one day the electric starter stopped working. I would turn the key to ignition and press the starter button (no noise, no lights, nothing). I've checked that I have gas, the kill switch is off, and I checked the fuse (looks fine). Also, when i kick start it - it works just fine.

I've been checking different components over the last couple of days and now when I get a buzzing sound coming from under the seat when I press the starter button. I also will sometimes get a buzzing sound from the front of the bike when I turn the key to ignition.

What is going on? What should I check so my electric starter works again?

Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sounds like time for a new battery. How old is yours? Do you ride regularly? If not, do you keep your battery topped off with a battery tender?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Check to see if your brake lights work when the bike is on. If your brake light switches went out, I don't believe the electrical system will acknowledge that you are pulling on the brake handle (most folks use the rear brake handle when engaging the electric start) and therefore it won't start.

I would start with the battery as a first step then it might possibly be the actual electric switch mechanism or the brake switch.