Buddy 50 won't start after sitting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

oilfield_trash

Buddy 50 won't start after sitting

Post by oilfield_trash »

I'm currently hosting my sister's Buddy 50. It sat with gas in it for a few years.

I've been working through it.

Initially I drained the gas and replaced it. When I kick it with the fuel line loose gas pours out at a healthy rate. So I believe all is well with the vacuume petcock.

I then cleaned the jets and carb bowl. I couldn't get the low speed jet clean, so I replaced it. I replaced the main jet at the same time while I was paying outrageous shipping and waiting for the parts because it was cheap.

At this point it would kick over with a little starter fluid but die out. At this point I tried draining the bowl but nothing came out. Curious to see if the pathway from the fuel line to the bowl in the carb was plugged I removed the float and valve. It kicked almost immediately and ran for about 45sec before it flooded and gas started pouring out the overflow.

The float valve looks like it moves freely, but it clearly isn't allowing gas through. I noticed there's a spring loaded pin in the float needle. I have no idea if this isn't moving as much as possible and that's causing the problem. I'm kinda tired of ordering new parts, but also tired of it not working.

Has anyone run into this situation before? Should I just order a new needle? Thoughts?