Used 170i or New 125 with 3 yr warranty (Chicago)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fastbreak02

Used 170i or New 125 with 3 yr warranty (Chicago)

Post by fastbreak02 »

Thank you! This site has been super helpful. I'm finally going to pull the trigger after thinking about a scooter for years. In Chicago with winter approaching, I'm hoping to get a deal. I have two options:

Buddy 125 brand new is $3200 out the door with a 3 year warranty promotion (that's with an end of season cut to freight and service), vs. a used 170i, no warranty, 2k miles, listed for $2600- though the first quote via email was for$3400 out the door.

I like the looks of the 170i better, but I'm worried about the lack of warranty.

I'm interested in opinions on the value of the warranty, and how much haggle room could exist in either option. Any opinions welcome. Thank you
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I bought my '08 Buddy 150 with 65 miles on it in the spring of '09. Being that I am the second owner it had no warentee though it was essentially a new vehicle. That said, I'd never had a situation where a warentee was necessary, almost 30,000 miles and the only mechanical issues I've had were due to something stupid I did.
As for looks, the only differences you're looking at between the models is color, the choice is yours. Great scoots no matter what.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
skipper20

Re: Used 170i or New 125 with 3 yr warranty (Chicago)

Post by skipper20 »

fastbreak02 wrote:Thank you! This site has been super helpful. I'm finally going to pull the trigger after thinking about a scooter for years. In Chicago with winter approaching, I'm hoping to get a deal. I have two options:

Buddy 125 brand new is $3200 out the door with a 3 year warranty promotion (that's with an end of season cut to freight and service), vs. a used 170i, no warranty, 2k miles, listed for $2600- though the first quote via email was for$3400 out the door.

I like the looks of the 170i better, but I'm worried about the lack of warranty.

I'm interested in opinions on the value of the warranty, and how much haggle room could exist in either option. Any opinions welcome. Thank you
As far as reliability and longevity are concerned, you can't go wrong with either one. I personally prefer the reliability of fuel injection so my choice would be the 170i. But they don't have kick starters so that's a trade-off. The prices you're quoting seem a bit high. Used Buddy 125s here in the Seattle area are usually advertised on CL for well under $2,000 and a Hooligan 170i has been languishing on CL at $2,000 asking price for several weeks now. I wouldn't hesitate to buy used as the reliability of these scoots essentially obviates the need for a warranty. If they've been maintained properly and there are records to prove it and they test ride well and look good, go for it!

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

2600 is pretty steep. I got my 170i with the same miles for $1300 and there wasn't a mark on the scooter. Don't worry about the warranty. Pretty much nothing goes wrong with these.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Warranties are for peace of mind. There is no guarantee you will ever use it. I bought a new buddy a few months ago. I would buy a used one with no warranty in a heartbeat if it was the one I wanted. I can't speak to your prices. I'm in Florida.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I own both and I'd get the 170i for the extra power and fuel injection alone.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have owned a 125 for 10 years. It has been a great scooter. Never had anything done to it other than routine maintenance and new tires. I'm puzzled by your observation that you like the looks of the 170i. The 125. 150, and 170i appear identical to me other than different color schemes available at various times.
fastbreak02

Thank you

Post by fastbreak02 »

I think I lucked out:

On Saturday I was ready to negotiate with the dealers but instead found a Blackjack on Craigslist from a guy named Joe who lived down the street from (and used to work at) a Buddy dealership.

Walked over to the shop and the service staff recalled his scooter and was able to tell me it was in great condition. Read some Blackjack reviews on this forum and felt comfortable making the purchase. Got it at a great price compared to any of the used scooters from the dealers! Joe even walked down to the dealer after and bought my girlfriend and I a helmet because the one he agreed to toss in was too big.

We're loving being a part of this community already. Thank you all for the very helpful advice on a question I'm sure you're tired of getting!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Good job! The Black Jack is a great scooter, and hard to find.
FuRociousFuR

Post by FuRociousFuR »

Great deal!