DANGER! Warning. Potentially dangerous situation (Buddy)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rickko

DANGER! Warning. Potentially dangerous situation (Buddy)

Post by rickko »

I have never seen this addressed in this forum in the past year so I may be the 1st to experience it but, watch out! It might happen to your Buddy as well.

Today I started my Buddy then propped it up on the center stand. The engine was cold so it went into the normal auto-choke high idle. What I noticed at that point was a terrible vibration that I'd never heard before coming from the rear. I grabbed onto different things to see if I could muffle it and discover what was causing it. I grabbed the exhaust, its shield, the shock, the air cleaner cover. Nothing. Then I grabbed the rear wheel and the sound immediately stopped.

I shut the engine off and grabbed the rear tire. I pushed/pulled on it side-to-side and found it had side play.

I found a 24mm spanner, placed it over the axle nut and noticed it was really easy to tighten! And, the yellow paint dab (see pic below) on the nut wasn't lined up with the dab on the axle. I've never had the wheel off so it seemed obvious that it had loosened on its own.

I restarted the scooter. The vibration was gone.

So my warning is for you rotate your rear tire so you can see the yellow dab of paint. Notice if the part on the nut lines up with the part on the axle. If not, grab the rear of your tire and wiggle it from side to side to see if you see or feel a slight wobble. If it does, get that nut tight before you do any further riding.

Hopefully this is not going to become a common occurrence. My scooter has 1900+ Buddy miles on it.

What surprises me is, the axle doesn't have a means to put a cotter pin there to secure that nut. I'd hate to have it spin off or become extremely loose while riding down the road!

..rickko..

Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

EEK. :shock: Yeah, that would suck. Glad you caught that. I'll add that to my list of "nuts and bolts to check at random intervals". Thanks for the PSA. :) (public SAFETY announcement?)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Good Tip...thanks!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Thanks for the tip.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Went to the garage and checked mine. Thanks!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Double checked mine - lucky - all OK
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

It's a good idea to take a quick peak at all the witness marks (the paint on bolts that indicated it's tightened position) at fairly regular intervals. This is the first I've heard of the rear wheel being loose though. Good catch and good warning!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
mattgordon

Re: DANGER! Warning. Potentially dangerous situation (Buddy)

Post by mattgordon »

rickko wrote:I have never seen this addressed in this forum in the past year so I may be the 1st to experience it but, watch out! It might happen to your Buddy as well.

Today I started my Buddy then propped it up on the center stand. The engine was cold so it went into the normal auto-choke high idle. What I noticed at that point was a terrible vibration that I'd never heard before coming from the rear. I grabbed onto different things to see if I could muffle it and discover what was causing it. I grabbed the exhaust, its shield, the shock, the air cleaner cover. Nothing. Then I grabbed the rear wheel and the sound immediately stopped.

I shut the engine off and grabbed the rear tire. I pushed/pulled on it side-to-side and found it had side play.

I found a 24mm spanner, placed it over the axle nut and noticed it was really easy to tighten! And, the yellow paint dab (see pic below) on the nut wasn't lined up with the dab on the axle. I've never had the wheel off so it seemed obvious that it had loosened on its own.

I restarted the scooter. The vibration was gone.

So my warning is for you rotate your rear tire so you can see the yellow dab of paint. Notice if the part on the nut lines up with the part on the axle. If not, grab the rear of your tire and wiggle it from side to side to see if you see or feel a slight wobble. If it does, get that nut tight before you do any further riding.

Hopefully this is not going to become a common occurrence. My scooter has 1900+ Buddy miles on it.

What surprises me is, the axle doesn't have a means to put a cotter pin there to secure that nut. I'd hate to have it spin off or become extremely loose while riding down the road!

..rickko..

Good find on a potentially dangerous situation. It's wise to routinely check all major fasteners on all scooters occasionally...perhaps during an oil change, or at day's end with a cold one.

Importantly, does anyone know the correct torque requirement for that axle nut? I believe if torqued correctly a worry of it becoming loosened are unfounded....just like the wheel nuts on your car.

I doubt that nut worked itself loose especially if properly torqued...something else came into play. My .02.
Prairiedale

Post by Prairiedale »

Vehicles have become so reliable and are nearly maintenance free so very few people do pre-ride inspections anymore. But since I started riding when this wasn't the case, performing an inspection before hopping in the saddle was part of the biker's ritual. While I don't believe today it is necessary to do a thorough inspection before each ride, I do one prior to a trip of any length or if I haven't taken a long ride in a while, at the beginning of the month. It takes a few minutes, but in nearly 40 years of riding, I have yet to be stranded. When I was a young pup I learned the acronym T-CLOCS.

T - Tires and Wheels
C - Controls
L - Lights and Electrics
O - Oil & Fluids
C - Chassis and Chain
S - Stands (ie Side/Center)

Part of the T is to put the bike on the center stand and check the wheel bearings for play and inspect the tightness of the wheel nuts.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Prairiedale wrote:...
T - Tires and Wheels
C - Controls
L - Lights and Electrics
O - Oil & Fluids
C - Chassis and Chain
S - Stands (ie Side/Center)

Part of the T is to put the bike on the center stand and check the wheel bearings for play and inspect the tightness of the wheel nuts.
Good reminder. They teach this day 1 of the MSF course. I definitely could stand to improve my pre-ride routine.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
lotusmark

Post by lotusmark »

From the pic, it looks like a Nyloc?
Prima Pipe
Dr Pulley Variator 12g
Unifilter
NCY front and rear shocks
115 Main Jet
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

:shock: :shock: Glad you caught it
rickko

Post by rickko »

lotusmark wrote:From the pic, it looks like a Nyloc?
Yeah it does doesn't it. Well that could be its saving grace vice the cotter pin.

Bet it would be costly and such a nuisance to check it to late only to find your wheel wobbling enough to damage the bearings.

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
mrjoeygee1

Wobble

Post by mrjoeygee1 »

Thanks for the post, will add that to monthly maintenance. I DO have a intermittnet wobble...seems to "show up" when I hit a flurn in the road. I replaced front pads, thinking it was grabbing. Check tire for imperfections, check air pressure (fine), no real "side to side" motion when I try to move it, rim looks ok, bolt's tight. Any ideas where I might look next?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Be Advised: This is an 8 year old necropost. It's never a bad idea to be safe, but we didn't hear many cases of this that I know of, so please don't panic.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I watched the axle nut fall off a bike at rally in texas a few years back. I followed the nut till it stopped and gave it back to him. The tire stayed on because it bumped into the exhaust.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

24mm? Sacre Bleu!
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
EricV

Post by EricV »

Thanks for the tip. Made me go check mine! Checked the front too, but it's easy to see.