Buddy 150 Won't Start - Issue Found

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EricV

Buddy 150 Won't Start - Issue Found

Post by EricV »

Just a heads up to anyone running one of the "performance" coils found all over eBay. My new to me Buddy 150 was running fine, then got difficult to start yesterday and would not start this morning.

I bought this 11 days ago and have about 300 miles after doing some basic service and replacing a host of missing fasteners, broken items and general tidying up.

Pulled things apart, tested the kill switch, power to coil, CDI and all seemed ok. It cranked fine, clearly had gas, plug was ok, filter was ok, but when I checked spark at the plug wire, nothing.

As I was investigating the coil some more, the plug cap just fell off the coil HT lead... There wasn't even a fastener or crimp on the wire, it was just wrapped around what looked like a brass sheet metal screw in the center of the plastic body of the plug cap.

After a little creative work to secure the wire to the plug cap, (used a screw to capture it to the plastic cap and on the existing screw tip), the bike fired right up!

So just be aware that some of the aftermarket coils might have a poorly secured wire at the plug cap. If you suddenly get a failure to start, check there first before you get stressed out about needing a new CDI or coil.