Rust removal

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bbuddyb

Rust removal

Post by bbuddyb »

I just got my first scooter! And it came complete with just a bit of rust. I was able to remove it with lemon juice, a tiny bit of foil, and water. Is there anything I can do to prevent more rust from forming? I keep it covered in a garage and my area isn't terribly humid. Thanks!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Keep any bare metal bits painted. Wash the bike regularly - a clean bike is a happy bike (side note: my bike is not a happy bike right now >_>).

The third thing you can do is come riding with me some time, I just moved to the East Bay ;D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Painted areas with chips should be kept waxed. A coat of WD40 on bare metal will help keep it from rusting. Reapply after washing.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
bbuddyb

Rust removal

Post by bbuddyb »

Thanks, everyone! And welcome to the east bay, Yalzin. :)
EricV

Post by EricV »

ACF-50 is an anti corrosion spray that the riders in the UK swear by. Clean everything, spray the bike down with ACF-50, ride. Next time you clean, repeat the process. Great stuff for keeping corrosion from starting.

Walmart, Amazon, etc carry it, though it may be hard to find just walking in to a shop. It's WD-40 on steroids that doesn't evaporate, but rather leaves a more lasting film.

LINKY to Walmart listing
Ootscoot

Rust removal

Post by Ootscoot »

I find that the only areas with rust on my Buddy are the mirrors. I use fine steel wool to remove and apply wax to protect.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
ronfer

Post by ronfer »

I like using Boeshield T9. This stuff is made to prevent corrosion on airplanes.
bbuddyb

Rust removal

Post by bbuddyb »

Thanks, everyone!