Stalling at stoplights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootingteacher

Stalling at stoplights

Post by scootingteacher »

After a long stoplight, when I turned the throttle to accelerate, it just cut off! Of course, this would happen at dusk on a major road that I normally avoid due to the heavy traffic. I've read that this problem is relatively common after long periods without driving, but I've at least driven my scooter to and from work (granted, only a mile each way) every day this week without an issue. I added oil, but it still turned off when I tried to accelerate after idling in my parking space for several minutes. Is there an obvious and simple fix, or should I just call my dealer?

If it's not completely obvious, I'm relatively new to the scooter life and definitely not a mechanic.

Thanks for your help!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Try adjusting the carb for a higher idle speed after the engine is fully warmed up. Small adjustments only - 1/8 turn at a time. Clockwise to increase idle speed.
Attachments
Idle adjustment screw circled in GREEN.
Idle adjustment screw circled in GREEN.
Idle adjustment.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Last edited by babblefish on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My 98 Zuma stalls at idle, I've just been to lazy to look up what screw does what. You should be ok to just crank the idle in like babblefish said, while its warmed up. Did you have your Buddy 50 de-restricted? They are quick scoots for stock 50's. Oh, and welcome to scooter ownership from Norfolk VA!
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

If it idles ok, but stalls on acceleration, more likely a slightly clogged idle jet.
If it dies at idle, may need a valve adjustment.
I would not add oil unless it was low - excess oil can clog the air filter, causing these same symptoms.
Adjusting idle speed may be all that is needed.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I messed around with the Zuma carb today and got it pretty spot on. Still a bit low on its idle rpm (think the pilot may be gummed up) but its close enough for me. scootingteacher, did you ever get yours ironed out?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Ootscoot wrote:If it idles ok, but stalls on acceleration, more likely a slightly clogged idle jet.
Agree. Seafoam is sometimes a simple solution short of actually dissembling and cleaning the carb.