Buddy 170i vs Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

troympierce

Buddy 170i vs Buddy Kick

Post by troympierce »

Apologies if I'm repeating a thread (couldn't find one in the search engine) however I was surprised I couldn't find a kick vs 170i discussion given they are close in price point.

I'm looking at either option. The main benefit I see to the Kick is the addition of a rear disc brake and dual rear shocks, while the benefit of the 170i is the additional zoom from more cc's.

Anyone have an opinion/impression either way?

Thanks!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Don't forget 12" aluminum wheels as well.
I'd get the 170i for, as you say, additional cc's and all the great things that come with that. The quality of the Buddy is beyond question as well.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
harmony101017

Post by harmony101017 »

I'm a newbie so I don't know, but I went with the 170i because of the fuel injection and additional cc's. I do like the look of the kick though.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Agreed about the looks. However, looks and deception are closely linked, especially with Chinese goods.
troympierce

Post by troympierce »

GregsBuddy wrote:Don't forget 12" aluminum wheels as well.
I'd get the 170i for, as you say, additional cc's and all the great things that come with that. The quality of the Buddy is beyond question as well.
I thought they both have 10" wheels?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I stand corrected: Both have 10" wheels.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

And both are fuel injected. The 170 Buddy doesn't really run away from the other Buddys, so I doubt it runs away from a Kick. Surely one of the Kick owners here has some input on that.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

I've certainly never, you know, raced a 170, but the fuel injection on the kick is a second generation, so more power than you'd think despite the lower cc's. I honestly think the 170i and the kick are only about a half hp apart, Kick is ten pounds lighter on paper. It also has a long flat seat, not contoured like the 50/125/150/170. Plus, the Kick looks cooler (in my opinion).

I will say that the under-foot fuel storage is kind of a bummer if you're super tall, it raises the floor two inches or so.

So, neeeearly just as powerful, lighter, dual rear shocks, rear disc brake, and 100$ cheaper MSRP, but slightly higher floorboards.

I'm happy with mine :D
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
gregbuddy

Kick vs 170i

Post by gregbuddy »

Any others to consider outside of kick and 170i?
gregbuddy

kick vs 170i

Post by gregbuddy »

Seems Buddy Kick's are very hard to find where 170i a bit more easier. I can find 2016/2017 new Kicks at dealers, but not used.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Ahh, true. Didn't realize you were looking at used. The Kick is pretty new, most people who bought one probably still have theirs.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
skipper20

Re: Kick vs 170i

Post by skipper20 »

gregbuddy wrote:Any others to consider outside of kick and 170i?
For sure. The Genuine Hooligan 170i. It's a grown-up Genuine Buddy 170i.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
gregbuddy

Post by gregbuddy »

What’s the big diff between hooligan and 170i ?
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

From what I have seen and read, the Hooligan and the Buddy 170 share the same engine but the lighter weight of the Buddy makes it marginally quicker and a bit higher top end speed. The Hooligan is very stable and a more comfortable ride due to the longer wheelbase and 12" wheels. The Hooligan would probably be a better set up for someone riding pillion than the Buddy (slightly longer seat pan) and the more macho looks are a plus for the Hooligan in my opinion (YMMV). The used Hooligan I had was great and I would still be riding it today if I hadn't needed the money more than the scooter six months ago. When my financial circumstances change, my wife and I may go get a pair of Hooligans.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

We test rode the barcalounger, I mean Hooligan when it first came out. Seemed to be a little soft off the line and more of a relaxed version of the Buddy 150's we owned at the time or the 170's of today. We know this will appeal to some riders, just not us.

Not saying that is bad, it just did not impress us so we stayed with what we were riding. We were looking for more speed, not a casual ride. From what we have seen, they hold up as well as any other Genuine product.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

MYSCTR wrote:We test rode the barcalounger, I mean Hooligan when it first came out. Seemed to be a little soft off the line and more of a relaxed version of the Buddy 150's we owned at the time or the 170's of today. We know this will appeal to some riders, just not us.

Not saying that is bad, it just did not impress us so we stayed with what we were riding. We were looking for more speed, not a casual ride. From what we have seen, they hold up as well as any other Genuine product.
I would like the Hooligan even better if it was bumped up to maybe the Blur 220 engine or somewhere in the 250 range. That would be perfect.
gregbuddy

Hooligan

Post by gregbuddy »

Good feedback- thanks. Any idea on max weight one can carry with two people on Hooligan/125/170i buddy? Info is not listed on Genuine's website. I know the more weight the more struggle up hills for sure. Thanks.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

170i = ~235 #'s.
I'd love to own a Blur 220 but not to replace the 170i.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I can't believe no one has mentioned that the kick is a 4 valve. The local dealer says kick and 170 are very comparable in power. The kick engine is very different from a regular buddy engine. The cooling fan is larger. The engine is bottom mounted. The cylinder and head are not interchangeable with a regular buddy.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
gregbuddy

kick vs 170i

Post by gregbuddy »

I guess the kick would get a bit better MPG if that matters. Depends on fuel tank size for each on total miles per tank as well. Seems both are good choices.