I'm not whining any more about my Buddy 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mikestib1

I'm not whining any more about my Buddy 170i

Post by Mikestib1 »

Had a local one man repair shop replace the roller weights with 11g Dr.Pulley sliders and a NYC exhaust and its plenty peppy and a bit loud even with the dB killer insert. Finally it's the storming little city scooter I've been looking for. Light and nimble, fuel injected, starts immediately,never stalls. As much as I was leaning toward a Honda PCX and a Yamaha Smax, I don't need to ride interstates and if I do I have have a motorcycle. The PCX weighs 286 pounds and the Yamaha 329. I think the Buddy weighs about 230, perfect for downtown and plenty fast enough not to hold up traffic up steep hills and quick enough to surprise Escalades and Yukons when the light changes. Loving it and with a newly installed windshield I'm ready for December here in the Blue Ridge
I'll upload a pic if I can figure out how to resize it on my iPad
A lot of people on the forum have been super helpful
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I'm not whining any more about my Buddy 170i

Post by jrsjr »

Mikestib1 wrote:I'll upload a pic if I can figure out how to resize it on my iPad
A lot of people on the forum have been super helpful
Glad to hear that minor tweaks made such an improvement!

As for shrinking photos - try this site. It isn't fancy, but I've been using it for years and it works.
Mikestib1

Worth it to me

Post by Mikestib1 »

Seat of the pants dyno
Taking the same steep hill and one block acceleration it's peppier, holds rpm better up hills, used to do 40 now 44 on same hill. Accelerates to 40 mph in a short city block. I'd guess I picked about 10% improvement. When you only have 11.7 horsepower to begin with every little bit helps. Well worth the worth the $210 parts and labor for the sliders and the full exhaust.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Pretty much the same setup on my 150.

I did the NCY variator and all that, but the sliders and exhaust made the most difference I think.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I think you chose your performance mods very well, especially for an engine with EFI. Changing too many things at once can require a lot of tuning and tweaking time. A lot of guys enjoy that tuning and tweaking but its not for me.
The Buddy 170 is no speed merchant, but its awesome for squirting through and around the urban jungle.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Certainly changing out the rollers can shift the performance band of the bike and it sounds like this did what you wanted. I seriously doubt that any of the performance shift was due to the exhaust however. If that gave you a look and sound you wanted - great.
psymple

awesome

Post by psymple »

I have a 125 and a 170; the 125 has about 10k miles and handles the hills I live on nearly as well as the 170. With 10k, i know i should do the trans but fear losing the pep. I assume you all think the 11g will work well on the 125 also. I saw the 1500k springs mentioned; that as well? I would hate to make the performance worse but I don't know if what's in there is stock; had 900 miles when i bought it and a Prima pipe. Just seems too peppy to be stock except the pipe... Love this (these) things!!!

The 170 got a couple months ago, >300 miles on it...still wotking out some kinks...valve adjustment is next since surely never had the first service (1k miles now). Have a prima pipe to put on that also.
Attachments
WP_20170926_18_36_49_Pro-1.jpg
WP_20170926_18_36_49_Pro-1.jpg (190.42 KiB) Viewed 698 times