Buddy 170 Oil Filter Change - Drop the oil cooler?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

alexpa

Buddy 170 Oil Filter Change - Drop the oil cooler?

Post by alexpa »

When you change your oil filter, do you drop the oil cooler and holder plate before unscrewing the filter? Last (and only) time I changed the oil I dropped the oil cooler and the whole process was a pain in the butt..

Does I make a mess if I don't drop the cooler and holder plate or is it easily wiped up and not considered a problem? Not trying to be too lazy but would rather save the hassle.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I never had to. The protector plate has enough flex to be pulled out of the way of the filter.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not sure if the oil cooler/filter setup is the same on a 150 as a 170i, but I've never had to remove or flex anything to get the oil filter off. Although, oil does spill onto the oil cooler skid plate, but I just spray some engine degreaser and hose it off.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
alexpa

Post by alexpa »

OK thanks. I'll try the lazy way tomorrow.

The 170i has slightly different undercarriage layout than the smaller Buddies. I believe the 150s and below have the filter right above the center stand with little in the way.. The 170's is all the way forward, basically just behind the front wheel
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I removed the plate and have had no issues with bottoming and damage because I'm careful, just as I was when the plate was on.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

You do not have to remove the cooler or plate to change the oil. One paper towel cleans the whole thing up.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Rochester oil must be better behaved than San Francisco oil. Before I removed the metal plate, oil draining from the oil filter fitting used to cover the upper side of the plate and made a mess. Maybe it's my hamfisted mechanical skills...
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
alexpa

Post by alexpa »

I ended up dropping the plate/cooler/filter. I couldn't imagine how big of a mess it would've made without doing so. It took an extra 3 minutes but saved me at least 10 mins trying clean the dribbly mess