Replacement Carb: thoughts?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ChuckyD

Replacement Carb: thoughts?

Post by ChuckyD »

I've read threads here about replacement carbs, and how they should have the black cap - not silver. Has anyone had experience with these? Silver cap, but does have the accelerator pump. Free ship. Stamped "Keihin Technology..." does that mean actual Keihin?

Thanks for your thoughts! Chuck
http://shop.martinmopeds.com/Premium-Ke ... -PD24J.htm

Note: I've replaced all filters, electricals, and carefully cleaned carb twice - still getting a hesitation at 28-20mph. Considering replacing the carb. *throws up hands*
Last edited by ChuckyD on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That carb you're showing does have Keihin stamped on it, but I don't know if it's legit or not. I've never tried a carb without an accelerator pump, such as this one, so I can't comment on it. I do know that an accelerator pump makes startup on cold mornings easier. BTW, eBay has at least a dozen of these acceleratorless carbs listed at half the price or less.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

The above DOES have an accelerator pump...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ChuckyD wrote:The above DOES have an accelerator pump...
I don't see it, and the description doesn't mention one...though I have been known to be blind from time to time...
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

I spoke with Dan, the owner, to confirm. He says it does have the accelerator pump.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Just my 2 cents. I bought a used 2008 Buddy 125 that had set. Someone had put in a new Keihin carb. about a year previously. The engine flooded badly--gas pouring out the air filter AND getting into the oil. I removed the carb. three times, cleaned it, and lowered the float twice until it stopped flooding and ran pretty well. The mpg is decent. But, it still hesitates at times at lower speeds. I live with it and accept it. I'm finished messing with the carb.. I'm also finished replacing the petcock as they just seem to keep failing at times for some reason. Good luck.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

For what it's worth, I saw another vendor selling this carb and it was also stamped "Japan", but the seller says it is made in China. And seriously, I don't see an accelerator pump on this thing. Who knows, maybe it works just fine.
But, before you spend that kind of money on it, check this one out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/125-150cc-Gas-S ... or&vxp=mtr
Attachments
Not made in Japan
Not made in Japan
china keihin.jpg (62.75 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

Would that be the accelerator pump, dead center?
Thanks!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 10.03.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 10.03.15 PM.png (197.94 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ChuckyD wrote:Would that be the accelerator pump, dead center?
Thanks!
No, that's part of the cold start enrichment solenoid (the black thing).
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

Ahhh, thanks!
Dan the seller now says the 24mm version does NOT have an accelerator pump - an oversight. He has a NIBBI for me. Think I'm just gonna tear into my current one & clean her out again.

I can't "live with" the hesitation... something's not as it should be.

Thanks! Chuck
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Glad you got that cleared up with the vendor.

FWIW, my Buddy has a slight stumble upon initial acceleration when I first start riding but goes away after the engine is fully warmed up. Hasn't bothered me enough to investigate.

If you decide on going with a NIBBI, keep in mind that it is not a CVK type carb so will require careful tuning to work well with your engine. Also, it uses a manual choke, not automatic so you'll have to have access to it if you need to use it unless you can rig up a remote cable.
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

Thanks, Babblefish!
Yeah, I'm not gonna get a new carb... still haven't decided it's the culprit. (But I've replaced belt, sliders, stator, CDI, regulator, plug, coil, air & fuel filters.) Ack!

I'll give my carb another going-over.