Buddy weak link - grab rail mount

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Buddy weak link - grab rail mount

Post by DeeDee »

I think Genuine Buddy is one of the best made small scooters you can buy. I've seen a half dozen of these rear rack mounts fail in the last 3 years. I've seen almost as many Prima chrome rear racks fail at the bends. Do the newer Buddys have the same crap spot welded caps for the rear rack mount?
Attachments
buddyrack.jpg
buddyrack.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 374 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

They still do. Poor design combined with a flimsy rack create problems. I used expansion anchors from the hardware store to fix that problem. Works great.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

sc00ter any chance you could please post a link of what you used? Thanks!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have to run to the hardware store this week for some bolts for my 98 Zuma. Will see what the anchor things are called and see if I can remember what size I used. I have access to the Buddy 125 if push comes to shove. I wish I wasnt so dumb with technology because I would have posted a how-to with pictures. The anchor things have held up great, and you all know Im mean to my scooters AND pound the miles on! I was going to have a normal sized nut welded in the holes but was to lazy to remove the fuel tank, hold the nut in place with a magnet and hope it holds (I stink at welding). Will try to get back to this thread no later than Saturday.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Was it an anchor bolt you used? If so, they're available in several materials, sizes, and shapes. Just Google "anchor bolt". Most hardware stores carry them including Lowes and Home Depot.
These work by wedging themselves into the correct sized hole when the nut is tightened. Mainly meant to be used in concrete, but should work for other applications, too.
Attachments
anchor bolt.jpg
anchor bolt.jpg (75.35 KiB) Viewed 333 times
anchor bolt 2.jpg
anchor bolt 2.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Yes babblefish, thats what I used. I changed out the ugly bolt head for a loooong hex head. The size anchor I picked worked perfect. Hammered it in till it seated at the same height as the tack welded original. Was nerve racking because shavings were coming off the wedge part and I thought the tube would split, but it worked out great. Has never come loose or backed out, and I pounded on around 7000 miles of abuse! Just need to see if I can remember what size I used. I think I found a piece of scrap pvc pipe that was the same size as the frame tubes, and took that to the hardware store (Taylors Do It Center has a GREAT selection of hardware) for size comparison. And the looong hex head was for: 1) for looks, and 2) make sure it went in far enough. Give me till Saturday to see if it all comes back. Like I said, I still have access to the Buddy if need be.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Duh, I didnt notice the pictures first that you posted. No, mine had a bolt that went inside the wedge, causing it to expand. Changed out the ugly bolt for a hex head top. Those pictures are not the type I used. Mine were a different style.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

sc00ter wrote:Duh, I didnt notice the pictures first that you posted. No, mine had a bolt that went inside the wedge, causing it to expand. Changed out the ugly bolt for a hex head top. Those pictures are not the type I used. Mine were a different style.
But still an anchor bolt. I know of the type you described, just did't post a picture. Like I mentioned, anchor bolts come in a variety of configurations. They all work more or less the same way.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Sorry for being a lazy butt! Have yet to make it to the hardware store. Will try to get there before the upcoming Sunday. I also need to learn how to post pictures, as I still have access to the Buddy 125 that has the modded rack mounts on it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The id of the tube is about 13/16". Only anchors I saw that came near the diameter used a huge nut on the top. Please post a link or picture when you get a chance.