Another "won't start" thread; carb / fuel issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

remhed

Another "won't start" thread; carb / fuel issue

Post by remhed »

Hey all,

I have an 08 Buddy 125. Earlier this summer I tried to start it after not running for well over a year and apparently the float stuck and fuel leaked everywhere. A friend of mine suggested rebuilding the carb which we did. Buddy then did start and run fine. I started it a few times, then it sat for a month or so and now will not start. Starter turns over but pretty sure no fuel is getting to the carb. Yes there is fuel in the tank. I checked the line going to the fuel filter and it had just a few drops of fuel coming out. Is this a vacuum issue with the fuel tap? All the vacuum lines appear to be hooked up right. I'm a near mechanical ignoramus but I can read a Haynes manual!

Thanks for any advice.
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
skipper20

Re: Another "won't start" thread; carb / fuel issu

Post by skipper20 »

remhed wrote:Hey all,

I have an 08 Buddy 125. Earlier this summer I tried to start it after not running for well over a year and apparently the float stuck and fuel leaked everywhere. A friend of mine suggested rebuilding the carb which we did. Buddy then did start and run fine. I started it a few times, then it sat for a month or so and now will not start. Starter turns over but pretty sure no fuel is getting to the carb. Yes there is fuel in the tank. I checked the line going to the fuel filter and it had just a few drops of fuel coming out. Is this a vacuum issue with the fuel tap? All the vacuum lines appear to be hooked up right. I'm a near mechanical ignoramus but I can read a Haynes manual!

Thanks for any advice.
Hmmm.............another carb/fuel issue. I repeat my question: "Why carburetors?" But you have a carburetor and you're asking for advice. Yes, you may well have a problem with your vacuum hose. Check to see if it's worn or not attached properly. Also, check to see if your fuel cap is vented. Removing the cap and then starting the engine is a good way to check. Good luck!

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Does the Haynes manual explain a method for checking that the whole vacuum tap thing is working?

Basically, you disconnect the hose from the tap to the carb at the carb end. Then direct that hose into something like a small tin can. No frigging styrofoam cups or anything that dissolves in gas! Ask me how I learned not to make this stupid mistake.

Once you're set with the fuel hoses and a catch for fuel, then you disconnect the other end of the vacuum hose (the opposite end from the tap) and suck on it very gently to see if that causes the fuel tap to operate. Gas should start dribbling into your tin can setup. Don't draw on it hard, okay? Nice and easy and see if that switches the fuel tap on so that you get fuel flow. If you don't, don't try drawing hard to force it. That will only break it and make a mess.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck!
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

The biggest problem I've had with my 2008 Buddy is the petcock. Try what the others have suggested: check the vacuum hose to make sure it has no obvious holes, tears, etc. (unlikely) and is attached securely at both ends. Also, look at your fuel filter and see if it has any obvious crud in it that may block fuel flow.
Do the experiment that Jrsjr suggested to see if the petcock (tap) is operating correctly. Sometimes the little diaphragm in it gets stuck. One scooter mechanic told me to tap on it gently with a wrench in hopes of unsticking it. That did not work for me.
If no fuel flows out the fuel line when you gently suck on the end of the vacuum hose, then the petcock is not opening up to allow fuel flow. A new petcock is not expensive and is fairly easy to replace.
You have to open the pet carrier to get to the carb. to do all of this. Take time to understand how the system works, where the two hoses go, and wear gloves because it is easy to get gas on yourself.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Did you drain everything out and refill with fresh gas, or has all of this taken place with fuel that's 1+ years old?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Whenever mine sits for more than a month without a start, it's really hard to get it started again.

I usually just continue to crank it multiple times, let it rest while recharging the battery, and then crank it some more. It eventually fires up. I suspect a little bit of gumming in the lines makes it sluggish to move the fuel. Not gummy enough to stop fuel flow, but enough viscosity to slow it down some.

That's why I try to start it up and do a short ride every 3 weeks. But it sucks when I have to head overseas for more than a month.

I also use Seafoam and Sta-Bil judiciously when I know it's going to sit. Nevertheless, it's still hard as hell to start when it sits for over a month.
remhed

Post by remhed »

k1dude wrote:Whenever mine sits for more than a month without a start, it's really hard to get it started again.

I usually just continue to crank it multiple times, let it rest while recharging the battery, and then crank it some more. It eventually fires up. I suspect a little bit of gumming in the lines makes it sluggish to move the fuel. Not gummy enough to stop fuel flow, but enough viscosity to slow it down some.

That's why I try to start it up and do a short ride every 3 weeks. But it sucks when I have to head overseas for more than a month.

I also use Seafoam and Sta-Bil judiciously when I know it's going to sit. Nevertheless, it's still hard as hell to start when it sits for over a month.
Yeah I put some Seafoam in and let it sit a couple days still same result. It will probably be this weekend before I can spend some time on it. I'll check the vacuum lines and fuel tap as others have suggested see where that gets me.
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Do what I suggested in another recent post. Take off the air filter cover and spray some carb cleaner fluid onto the air filter. Attempt to start the scooter. If you have spark, the bike should fire up and run. If it chugs to a stop after about 5 seconds, you probably have a fuel flow issue. Otherwise, if the bike continues to run, take it for a long ride, first around your neighborhood (so if the bike dies it is a short walk back) and then on a nice long ride of 10+ miles.
remhed

Post by remhed »

cummingsjc wrote:Do what I suggested in another recent post. Take off the air filter cover and spray some carb cleaner fluid onto the air filter. Attempt to start the scooter. If you have spark, the bike should fire up and run. If it chugs to a stop after about 5 seconds, you probably have a fuel flow issue. Otherwise, if the bike continues to run, take it for a long ride, first around your neighborhood (so if the bike dies it is a short walk back) and then on a nice long ride of 10+ miles.
OK thanks I'll try that.
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In
remhed

Post by remhed »

Here's what I have tried so far:

-put in some Seafoam, let it sit a couple days.
-tapped on the carb itself
-took the fuel filter off and blew it out
-confirmed the petcock is working by applying some suction to the vacuum hose and fuel came out of the fuel line
-sprayed some carb cleaner in the air filter and it will start and run for a few seconds then dies; did this several times trying to get the fuel flowing...

Any other ideas / suggestions?
Steve Johnson
Carmel, In