Sexy new Honda Goldwing is now an automatic transmission!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

k1dude

Sexy new Honda Goldwing is now an automatic transmission!

Post by k1dude »

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

It's about time! Beautiful bike, but I'd look like a hamster sitting on an elephant if I tried riding that beast! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I had a Indian Roadmaster for a couple of hours while my Spyder was getting some work done. As much as I LOVED riding it I cannot get myself into the thought of throwing my leg over it. Im just a step thru guy at heart. Now that new Goldwing looks fun to and if I get the chance to ride one Im gonna take it! To lazy to look, but it uses that dual clutch system? Pretty sure its not CVT driven.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Honda's other DCT bikes must be selling well for them to offer it on the Wing. I WOULD think that adding DCT to a shaft drive bike would be more complicated than a chain drive bike.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

The VF1200X Crosstourer is DCT as well.

For clarification - it is not "automatic" or a CVT transmission. The motorcycle shifts up and down as if a person was operating a clutch. The computer makes the shifts on your behalf. It really is a nifty ride once you get used to the concept. I wish more manufacturers offered this option.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

RoaringTodd wrote:For clarification - it is not "automatic" or a CVT transmission. The motorcycle shifts up and down as if a person was operating a clutch. The computer makes the shifts on your behalf. It really is a nifty ride once you get used to the concept. I wish more manufacturers offered this option.
Actually 2 clutches. That is partially why the shifts are accomplished so quickly and so smoothly.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

sc00ter wrote:... As much as I LOVED riding it I cannot get myself into the thought of throwing my leg over it. Im just a step thru guy at heart.
What the world needs now...

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Is the left one a custom build, or is it the prodigy from the mating between a Goldwing and Vespa?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have it on the ctx700. It's sort of a 'meh' when it comes to motorcycles, but I've put 20k on already. The DCT does sort of piss you off in the twisties, but it doesn't matter. For commuting it's heaven.

It would be ideal on a 'Wang, but I'm guessing it will be 30k then.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

skully93 wrote:I have it on the ctx700. It's sort of a 'meh' when it comes to motorcycles, but I've put 20k on already. The DCT does sort of piss you off in the twisties, but it doesn't matter. For commuting it's heaven.

It would be ideal on a 'Wang, but I'm guessing it will be 30k then.
I thought with DCT, you could put it in "Sport" mode or basically paddle shift manually with your thumb.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like one of Craig Vetter's contraptions.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

skully93 wrote:The DCT does sort of piss you off in the twisties,
? Explain please...

I would think the DCT would work great in the twisties... just pick your line, adjust your speed, and then just shoot through the curve and lay on the throttle. No worrying about wrong gearing, blipping the throttle, or messing something up.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

RoaringTodd wrote:
skully93 wrote:The DCT does sort of piss you off in the twisties,
? Explain please...

I would think the DCT would work great in the twisties... just pick your line, adjust your speed, and then just shoot through the curve and lay on the throttle. No worrying about wrong gearing, blipping the throttle, or messing something up.
To ride fast in the twisties, the engine/transmission has to be able to respond quickly and also be in the right gear ratio for fast response. The problem with most automatics is that they're usually tuned for minimum engine RPM and smoothness, not exactly conducive for fast twisty work.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Isn't that what the sport setting is for?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

RoaringTodd wrote:Isn't that what the sport setting is for?
If there is one then yes. Personally, I still prefer the response and the option to shift on my own with a manual transmission. Feel the same way with two seater sport cars too. Just comes from riding/driving manual transmissions my entire life, well, by the time I got my license anyway. Lol.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:
If there is one then yes.
All the Honda DCT transmissions have a Drive mode and a Sport mode. The Sport mode programs shifts so they occur at higher RPMs. The Honda DCT transmissions also have paddle shifters so you can manually shift - especially downshift.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dooglas wrote:
babblefish wrote:
If there is one then yes.
All the Honda DCT transmissions have a Drive mode and a Sport mode. The Sport mode programs shifts so they occur at higher RPMs. The Honda DCT transmissions also have paddle shifters so you can manually shift - especially downshift.
I'd still prefer a manual trans for anything bigger than a scooter. Guess I'm just old school. Besides, as far as cars are concerned, a manual trans is one of the best anti-thief devices around these days. Lol.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Something I've wondered for awhile; How would a Honda Fit engine work in a Goldwing? 1.5 liter 4 cylinder. Just to satisfy a mechanical curiosity. About the same power & gas mileage but the Fit weighs around 2,568 & the Goldwing around 904. Nearly 3 times more. So, if the Fit gets 33-40 mpg at it's weight, what might the gas mileage be in a much lighter Goldwing? Maybe double? And I'd guess that 4 cylinder engine is cheaper to make. But, that boxer 6 is so iconic now they would never change that. Just as the v-twin is to Harley.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

New2Scoots wrote:...that boxer 6 is so iconic now they would never change that. Just as the v-twin is to Harley.
The older GoldWings had a 4 cylinder boxer so Honda has more or less been down that road already (without the extra weight of an in-line iron block).