Buddy 50 Front Fork Issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

compgeek 1979

Buddy 50 Front Fork Issue

Post by compgeek 1979 »

Hello all
Now that at has cooled down, I have been riding more and I noticed that when I hit the brakes, the front tire rubs on the front fender, right in the middle. I see black tire dust on the top of the front fender in the middle....

Also I notice the that front fork is very soft, essentially causing the tire to rub on the fender.

At almost 10k miles, I am guessing the the front fork needs service. Is there an easy way to rebuild the front fork, or am I forced to buy a new one? Also is there a way I can make the front fork stiffer?

Thanks
2015 Buddy 50 8700 miles all original
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That sounds very strange. I know there are folks here who have much more mileage than you and have not experienced the kind of issue you described. I would check to see if the forks have not slipped in their yolk allowing the front end to drop down. While you're at it, make sure one of the fork caps have not come loose allowing the spring to pop up out of the fork tube. Very low or no oil at all in the forks could reduce the front end dampening enough to allow the tire to contact the fender when the front brake is used, so check that too.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Maybe it's a shock absorber issue. I know there is a shock on the back, but I don't know about the front.
compgeek 1979

Post by compgeek 1979 »

Everything seems to be in order, however I am unsure how to check theoil level. Would this require pulling the forks of and tearing it apart?
2015 Buddy 50 8700 miles all original