Contra spring

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Contra spring

Post by JJScoot »

Once my buddy gets warmed up, my acceleration between 20 to 30 bmph is very, very low. Most noticeable when cruising along then having to slow down, coming out of a turn or starting on an uphill. Would a stiffer contra spring would help with my problem? Would I have to adjust anything else like rollers? Thanks.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My Zuma did the same thing. I re-greased the torque driver and all is good now.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

sc00ter wrote:My Zuma did the same thing. I re-greased the torque driver and all is good now.
The scooter only has 1300 miles. You think it could still use it?
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Any thoughts on this?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Certain Zuma's were known to need a re-grease on the torque driver because it was thin from the factory. When I had my Adly upgraded to a 70cc the shop said the distributor told them the transmission was fine the way it is (AND told them the stock jetting was fine also!?) and it started to get a bog around 30ish mph, but the scooter hasn't been ridden since August so I never bothered to look into it. The Adly was never that smooth of a running scooter to begin with, and if you didnt know it was Taiwan built you'd swear it was a China bike. Lost interest in it since I got the Zuma. You could try a torque spring bearing seat or Malossi yellow spacer with the stock spring and re-grease it since you will have to take it apart anyways, Then, if it still bogs, try a 10% stiffer spring. I take it this Buddy of yours is a 50cc? Also, what location?
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Yes it is a 50, in Florida. It's weird how between 20-30 there is basically a flat spot in acceleration. Like being in too High of a gear basically and from my new understanding of these things, that's pretty much what it is- the belt not returning to a lower"geared" position. Just wondering if that is pretty standard on these things and the only way to fix it is a mod? What is weird to me is that it hasn't always been like this and it is more pronounced after riding a while.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

I'd try cleaning out the belt case and the variator.
On my Burgman, I clean the variator about every 3,000 miles. And once all is clean, shoot a little dry lube on the roller grooves, then reassemble.

Surprised how noisy and rattly the variator is, when it's caked with belt dust.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Just to let you know, what I ended up doing was pulling the rollers out and 3 of them had pretty good sized flat spots. Not sure why at such low miles. Anyway, replaced with stock weight sliders and it was better than new. I ordered a spring but never put it in.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The torque springs are fun to install. I always repack fresh grease and also use the bearing based contra spring seat from NCY.