Newbie Stella 4t questions: shifting cables, evap, horn

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NCJ8

Newbie Stella 4t questions: shifting cables, evap, horn

Post by NCJ8 »

I recently picked up a new-to-me 2012 Stella 4t, which I am loving so far. It has only 900 miles and has a few issues I was hoping the experts could weigh in on.

First, shifting. I realize that the cables are stretching as the machine gets broken in, I'm simply having trouble getting the cable adjustments right: too loose and it misses 2nd gear sometimes; too tight and it goes into second or third but occasionally disengages. I've mainly been adjusting the cable closest to the outside, which I believe is the "up-shift" cable, but should I be adjusting both equally, even though I'm not having issues downshifting? Any advice is appreciated. Also, while I'm at it, how often do folks have to adjust their gear cables once the bike is broken in? Is this a perennial issue, or mainly one for newer scoots? In other words, will I be able to shift with confidence once it's broken in, or do riders always have that uneasy feeling that it might not stay in gear?

Second, I noticed some gas streaks on the paint of the beloved creme colorway (my personal favorite). At first I thought the previous owner may have been careless at the pump. But new streaks have appeared. Have others had leakage from the evap system, and should I disconnect it if that's the problem? Also, any tips on getting gas streaks out of the paint?

Third, the horn doesn't work, but I'm guessing that's just a wiring problem and I'll tackle that this weekend.

Ok, last thing I promise: windshield recommendations? I'm thinking of getting the Prima medium for the colder (but not coldest) months in NJ

Thanks, all, and I'm glad to find such a thriving Stella forum.
Attachments
IMG_1500_.jpg
IMG_1500_.jpg (72.62 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

Fixed problems two and three: the evap had been clumsily disconnected by the previous owner and was leaking a little. The evap diagram in the glove compartment cleared that up. And one of the connections on the horn was simply disconnected.

Any advice on shifting and windshield sizes (by Cuppini, I mistakenly wrote Prima) is most welcome.
srbbnd

Post by srbbnd »

There is a nut that you have to slightly adjust. Just turn it a few clicks. It is on the underside of the scoot. Once you get the hang it of it you should be fine for a few thousand miles until it snaps.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

When I bought my windshield for the cross-country drive, I ended up getting the Prima Medium Size Windshield (https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Wind ... 12630.aspx)

Keeps the wind off the body (and hands) without being too much. One negative if you ride with a 3/4 helmet is all the wind basically rushes into the helmet. Good thing I wear earplugs!
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

[quote="Yalzin"]One negative if you ride with a 3/4 helmet is all the wind basically rushes into the helmet. [/quote]

Thanks Yalzin. And a X-C trek is certainly enough for giving an informed review! Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? I'm 5'11" and wonder if the medium windshield will be tall enough for some winter riding.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

5'7" (on a good day) ;)