bags

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Pork Butt Rub

bags

Post by Pork Butt Rub »

New guy here. No Buddy yet. Possibly purchasing two this Christmas, one for my wife & one for myself. I'd like some info on saddle bags. I've seen a few on-line, although not many. Most are incredibly expensive and I'm not sure about the fit. I like the look and durability of canvas. Much easier to care for than leather. I've done a bit of research on DIY bags. Not much there either. The old ways of doing things such as sewing your own stuff has largely gone by the wayside. Anyone have thoughts on where to purchase, or have plans on making very heavy weight canvas saddle bags. THANKS.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Welcome to the forum, and soon we can (hopefully) say welcome to the scooter family! I've got nothing on sidebags, hopefully someone else can chime in on that subject.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Here's two to look at.
ScooterR logic ones I've seen before, my dealer even has them in his shop, just be sure you secure the straps well, a friend lost her set on the second use. The others just plain look cool...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00386NP ... ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z123 ... ref=plSrch
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
skipper20

Re: bags

Post by skipper20 »

Pork Butt Rub wrote:New guy here. No Buddy yet. Possibly purchasing two this Christmas, one for my wife & one for myself. I'd like some info on saddle bags. I've seen a few on-line, although not many. Most are incredibly expensive and I'm not sure about the fit. I like the look and durability of canvas. Much easier to care for than leather. I've done a bit of research on DIY bags. Not much there either. The old ways of doing things such as sewing your own stuff has largely gone by the wayside. Anyone have thoughts on where to purchase, or have plans on making very heavy weight canvas saddle bags. THANKS.
Instead of saddlebags, where the cross-wise securing straps can make access to your under-seat storage difficult, think about a canvas roll-top bag. Goes on the scooter's rear rack where a rigid top case would go. Prima makes 2 sizes, large and small in either brown or black. If you get a Buddy, the small one can go on the front of your scooter attached to the optional folding front rack designed for the Buddy. I have both of them on my Buddy 170i and between the 2 of them, I can pack a LOT of groceries.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

In my opinion, a top case is the most practical way to provide for additional storage on the road. It is waterproof and fairly secure from theft. Also readily available and quite sturdy. We have one on every one of our scooters.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Welcome to MB.
Saddlebags are not very secure if you intend to leave valuables in them and walk away. They're too easy for someone to just remove and walk away with them and/or open them up and take whatever is in them. I think a top case would be much more secure.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
aremyers

Post by aremyers »

I'd second investing in a top case rather than saddlebags... A little more of a theft deterrent, and waterproof to boot. A VERY good thing, as you'll soon discover.