Warming up Buddy 125 before riding

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Warming up Buddy 125 before riding

Post by ucandoit »

Maybe I got the info. from the owner's manual, or maybe from Car Talk, but I always let my Buddy 125 warm up until the idle drops down before riding off. I'm wondering if others do that. Am thinking that a fuel injected engine doesn't require a warm up, but I may be wrong. The Buddy 125 has a carb. When my adult kids ride my scooter they just hop on and off they go, which bugs me. Am I being too rigid? How important is it to warm up a carb. engine? Any explanation is appreciated. thank you.
skipper20

Re: Warming up Buddy 125 before riding

Post by skipper20 »

ucandoit wrote:Maybe I got the info. from the owner's manual, or maybe from Car Talk, but I always let my Buddy 125 warm up until the idle drops down before riding off. I'm wondering if others do that. Am thinking that a fuel injected engine doesn't require a warm up, but I may be wrong. The Buddy 125 has a carb. When my adult kids ride my scooter they just hop on and off they go, which bugs me. Am I being too rigid? How important is it to warm up a carb. engine? Any explanation is appreciated. thank you.
On any scooter I've ever owned, carbed or fuel injected, my warm-up ritual is starting the engine and then putting on my riding jacket, gloves and helmet. The minute or so time to get that riding gear on is more than enough time to warm up the engine.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

The carb needs no warming up. The oil however, does. I like to have a minute or three to make sure oil is flowing and pressure is up. I drive as conservative as I can for a mile or two then it’s WOT. I race cars and we ALWAYS warm up the fluids before we really push the car. We don’t have the luxury of short shifting since we have CVT’s so our RPM’s are high from the get go.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

On a few occasions I needed to get going before the Buddy was completely warm. On those occasions I always proceeded at about 15 to 20 MPH trying to keep the RPM's low for a minute or two.

But yes, as a standard practice, I let it warm up while I gear up.

I would say something to your kids.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

k1dude wrote:On a few occasions I needed to get going before the Buddy was completely warm. On those occasions I always proceeded at about 15 to 20 MPH trying to keep the RPM's low for a minute or two.
Unlikely a scooter will become completely warmed up idling in your driveway for any reasonable amount of time. Oil pressure is established in seconds. As soon as you are ready, my suggestion is to ride off at modest speed. The engine will warm up much more quickly under those circumstances than idling. Just avoid WOT riding for a few moments and the bike will be a full operating temperature.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I don't warm my Buddy 125 up before I ride. I start up and go. Generally I have to ride a mile or two before I get to a 55 mph speed zone.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Everything I ride or drive I give a few minutes of idle time before moving. 2 experiences I had with starting dry motors left an impression on me. My truck sat for a year while I was overseas. After jump starting, it made the loudest racket for about 3 minutes. Popping, crunching, grinding noises that made me cringe. Metal on metal until the oil came. Same thing happened with a car I had. Sat for 3 months waiting on an insurance claim after a drunk guy hit it. After jump starting it made the same racket for about 3 minutes. The motor isn't dry if we're riding every week or two, maybe three or more but just to be sure the film isn't too thin I give it time to circulate. Also I ride half throttle or less first 20 minutes which is just long enough to get out of the neighborhoods & onto country roads. Popular Mechanics did a test many years ago on how long it took oil to get from the crankcase to the valve train & I believe they got around 2 minutes or so, depends on the engine.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

New2Scoots wrote:Popular Mechanics did a test many years ago on how long it took oil to get from the crankcase to the valve train & I believe they got around 2 minutes or so, depends on the engine.
I think it is safe to say that it takes somewhat longer to circulate oil thru a 350 ci V-8 than thru a 125 cc single cylinder Buddy.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I warm-up all of my vehicles before riding/driving off. First, to get the oil warmed up and second, to allow the engines moving parts a chance to warm-up and expand a little thereby reducing their operating clearances. I've had three cars give me over 200K miles without major issues related to the engines, one, my 1986 Jeep Cherokee, had 250K miles before it lost compression in one cylinder. Not too bad considering I boiled all of the water out of it in 100+ degree weather one time when the radiator failed. Drove it for several miles with absolutely no water because I was in the middle of nowhere, so had no choice. I cringe every time I see someone start up a vehicle from cold then immediately ride/drive off.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I sometimes ride in temps where if I don't let it warm up a bit, it simply won't move quickly.

even my FI motorcycle gets cranky when it's below freezing.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

New2Scoots wrote: Popular Mechanics did a test many years ago on how long it took oil to get from the crankcase to the valve train & I believe they got around 2 minutes or so, depends on the engine.
Oil is pumped to all points in the engine within about ten seconds, MAX, and is up to operating temp within two minutes. Don't believe me? Try starting the engine with no oil cap on, tell me how long it takes for oil to gush out of the top, the furthest part of the engine from the pump.

Then, replace the cap and oil, let it cool overnight, let it idle for two minutes, and drain the oil. You will not want to stick your hand in that oil, I guarantee it.

The metal parts, however, may still be expanding, so your ring longevity likes it when you let the engine warm up fully.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.