Long case GY6 - has it been done?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BMW_Art

Post by BMW_Art »

Sorry for the delay, I've been getting over the flu my wife so graciously shared with me. :)

The engine is still in its box as I haven't had much time to work on her scooter. Just haven't felt well enough to be honest. Too darn tired, but hopefully that will change this weekend and I'll get back to prepping her scooter.

I probably will not have a chance to get to the engine on my scooter until November or December the way things are going. I've had mine out a time or two though - just commuting to work when my wife needs the car - and its been doing well on the stock engine. It definitely needs a windshield though. Both to cut down the wind chill and bugs. Lots of bugs!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

BMW_Art wrote:Sorry for the delay, I've been getting over the flu my wife so graciously shared with me. :)

The engine is still in its box as I haven't had much time to work on her scooter. Just haven't felt well enough to be honest. Too darn tired, but hopefully that will change this weekend and I'll get back to prepping her scooter.

I probably will not have a chance to get to the engine on my scooter until November or December the way things are going. I've had mine out a time or two though - just commuting to work when my wife needs the car - and its been doing well on the stock engine. It definitely needs a windshield though. Both to cut down the wind chill and bugs. Lots of bugs!
Any updates on the engine install?

If you have it ready to rumble, come out and play! I'm leading a ride next weekend (or the following Sunday - the date is still tentative). And if you miss it, we'll do it again!!

https://www.meetup.com/Los-Angeles-Scoo ... 247446447/
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
BMW_Art

Post by BMW_Art »

I wish. Had an accident with our RV over XMass. Seems someone decided they could pass us on the right as we were merging in front of them (meaning, they didn't want us in front of them) and so they wound up in front of our RV going sideways. No one was hurt, but I've been dealing with the aftermath and insurance.

On the good news side, my wife passed her motorcycle safety foundation (or whatever its called here in CA) class this weekend. So she wants to ride soon. Which means I have to get going on her scooter rebuild.

Only issue there is I found out the front forks and triple tree were not the only cause of her lowered rake on the front wheel. Looks like the frame may be bent too. Not sure I can fix it. <sigh> Here front wheel is too close to the frame at present. And it has a new triple tree and forks.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

BMW_Art wrote:I wish. Had an accident with our RV over XMass. Seems someone decided they could pass us on the right as we were merging in front of them (meaning, they didn't want us in front of them) and so they wound up in front of our RV going sideways. No one was hurt, but I've been dealing with the aftermath and insurance.

On the good news side, my wife passed her motorcycle safety foundation (or whatever its called here in CA) class this weekend. So she wants to ride soon. Which means I have to get going on her scooter rebuild.

Only issue there is I found out the front forks and triple tree were not the only cause of her lowered rake on the front wheel. Looks like the frame may be bent too. Not sure I can fix it. <sigh> Here front wheel is too close to the frame at present. And it has a new triple tree and forks.
Theres a Buddy frame for sale on eBay at the moment. I think it was from a 170i. Can't remember the price though.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

This is the listing on eBay, seems like a big price to me..almost the used cost of a complete Buddy 50.

2013 Genuine Scooter Co. Buddy 170i FRAME $500 Including shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Genuine-S ... 9R&vxp=mtr

Image[/url]
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

vintagegarage wrote:This is the listing on eBay, seems like a big price to me..almost the used cost of a complete Buddy 50.

2013 Genuine Scooter Co. Buddy 170i FRAME $500 Including shipping.
That does seem expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if shipping will cost the seller $50, though.

Anyway, thanks for posting the pic. I probably wouldn't have followed up on this myself, but this is probably the best image of a Buddy frame that I have seen. Worth seeing!
BMW_Art

Post by BMW_Art »

Thanks for the listing and pic. The frame is quite a bit different from a Buddy 150. And I paid less than $1000 per scooter, so a replacement frame is out of the question unless it is really cheap. :)

I need to pull some of the plastic on my buddy so I can measure the angle of the gooseneck properly. Then determine if I can either bend it back to the correct angle or have a local shop do it at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, her Buddy will be sold or parted out. That's the main motivational reason - well that and no motorcycle license - my work on her scooter went on hold.

But our daughter convinced her to take the MSF class. She passed, so she just needs to pass the written test and she's good. So, I need to get back to her scooter now.

Hmm, might be a good time to search and see if I can find any links on fixing the frame on the forum. Never can tell.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

BMW_Art wrote:Thanks for the listing and pic. The frame is quite a bit different from a Buddy 150.
Oh! You know you’re right!
I wonder if it is really even a Buddy 170i frame.
It certainly does not have the upper cross piece that crosses above the engine head. I know at least the 125’s and the 150’s have that crossbar.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

That is a buddy 170 frame. The 170 does not have the cross bar for the seat bucket to bolt to. The 170 has the 2 perches as pictured. This gives room for the fuel injection equipment
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.