Sudden Loss of Electric Current

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jetblue70

Sudden Loss of Electric Current

Post by jetblue70 »

Today I rode and parked my Roughhouse 50, I came back in an hour and when I turned the key to "on" none of the dash lights came on and there was no ignition response or horn response. So it's pretty clear the electric system is not working. It was raining but I dont know if that has anything to do with it.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

North Korean EMP attack

(that's my insight)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Is your battery dead?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Check a couple of simple things: in the battery compartment, at least on the Buddy 125, there is a single fuse. Take a look at it: is it intact or has it blown?
If it is intact, then:

Remove the negative lead (the black wire) to the battery and polish up both the lead and the neg. pole on the battery with a piece of sandpaper. Then, remove the positive lead and do the same. Reconnect the positive first, then the neg. These two connections sometimes corrode.

And of course make sure that the kill switch is in the on position.

If that does not work, then take the battery to a battery store and ask them to check it out. They have a machine that puts a load on the battery to test it. Good luck. It will all work out.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ucandoit wrote:Check a couple of simple things: in the battery compartment, at least on the Buddy 125, there is a single fuse. Take a look at it: is it intact or has it blown?
If it is intact, then:

Remove the negative lead (the black wire) to the battery and polish up both the lead and the neg. pole on the battery with a piece of sandpaper. Then, remove the positive lead and do the same. Reconnect the positive first, then the neg. These two connections sometimes corrode.

And of course make sure that the kill switch is in the on position.

If that does not work, then take the battery to a battery store and ask them to check it out. They have a machine that puts a load on the battery to test it. Good luck. It will all work out.
And if you have to go to the battery store for a load test on your battery take the main fuse with you, too, so they can check it just to be sure.

Good Luck! Let us know what you find. No rush, but pictures of the fuse location would be helpful for when this happens to the next person.