4t clutch cable question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NCJ8

4t clutch cable question

Post by NCJ8 »

Just snapped my clutch cable connector today - the connection at the clutch lever snapped when I was letting out the clutch at a light, but I was able to get to where I needed to go because I was stuck starting out in second (long story, but you can obviously shift without a clutch if you have to, and if you keep moving). Perhaps it was a "cold snap" that caused the cable problem (39 F).

Anyways, wondering what the diameter of the clutch cable is so I can get the right pinchbolt at a local shop (I need to get back on the road soon). Is it 2mm? Thanks!
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

Or is it the case that I'll need a new inner clutch cable, since the connection that broke is at the barrel on the lever end of the cable? My bike is on campus (took a bus back), so unfortunately I'm not able to examine it for myself right now.

Also, if I do need to replace the cable, is it wise to replace the gearshift cables while I'm at it, or are those generally durable, even when stock? Thanks all.
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

It would be best if you replaced it with a clutch cable with the barrel nut already attached.

As for the gear cables, those are generally fine for a long while and you shouldn't have to replace them when a clutch cable goes.

Make sure you grease up the new clutch cable.
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

Thanks Stilts. I ordered a new cable from the Scooter Lounge. Would you or others recommend also getting new pinch bolts while I'm at it?

Since that will take about two weeks to arrive :cry: , are there any possible ways to rig it up to work in the meantime? It's been my daily driver, and I'm really not looking forward to a fortnight on the bus!

Thanks all
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

NCJ8 wrote:Thanks Stilts. I ordered a new cable from the Scooter Lounge. Would you or others recommend also getting new pinch bolts while I'm at it?

Since that will take about two weeks to arrive :cry: , are there any possible ways to rig it up to work in the meantime? It's been my daily driver, and I'm really not looking forward to a fortnight on the bus!

Thanks all
Some M/C repair shops have them barrels (knarfs) in various sizes that they can crimp on for you.
Call around
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics