4t clutch cable question

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

xTomBx

4t clutch cable question

Post by xTomBx »

Long story short, broke cable on last ride last fall. Obtained new cable. Finaly have time to wrench a little.

Crawl under scoot to disconect cable from gearbox, looks like something is missing... Iirc, there should be some sort of barrel nut setup behind that lever behind the frayed cable, right?
What is name of said part, and can I source it at a hardware store, or am I about to call Scooterworks?

Thanks in advance
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

Pic
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.03 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... its/153198
You may be able to find one that works at a motorcycle or bicycle parts store.
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

Yeah, that barrel nut is missing - probably fell off with that last bit of cable. I don't know what the part # is, should be able to get one at a motorcycle shop. Be sure you get a grease towel and clean up since you'll be under there. ;)
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I was getting my cable clamps at my neighborhood mom and pop hardware store.. true value maybe franchise or something.
Look at all the narrow boxes that house nutz and bolts, cotter keys,etc.. you'll find them there. No waiting for parts to come in from mail order.
good luck
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Any motorcycle/scooter shop worth their salt will have these in stock for a buck or two. Buy two, a spare is a good idea.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ArgonV

Post by ArgonV »

A tip: Make sure you get them the same size as your wrenches in your toolkit.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I bought 4 or 5 of these ones that have a cylinder shape and an allen wrench fits inside the end of it. Keep the allen in my tool kit with the clamps. Very sweet
J H
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

jimmbomb wrote:I bought 4 or 5 of these ones that have a cylinder shape and an allen wrench fits inside the end of it. Keep the allen in my tool kit with the clamps. Very sweet
Do you know what size they are ? These sound handy I hate the standard trunions.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Tipper wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:I bought 4 or 5 of these ones that have a cylinder shape and an allen wrench fits inside the end of it. Keep the allen in my tool kit with the clamps. Very sweet
Do you know what size they are ? These sound handy I hate the standard trunions.
Having trouble with the pics on the phone,
But they are 1 inch long and 5/16s in diameter.
With an allen set screw in one end of it.
A hole in direct center crossways for the cable to go thru
J H
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I remember when I first bought my 4T in 2014, and there were a lot of posts about Clutch Cables breaking (mostly from 2Ts I guess?).

My cable finally started shredding 2 days ago. Got 11,500 miles out of that sucker.
NCJ8

Post by NCJ8 »

Just snapped my clutch cable connector today - the connection at the clutch level snapped when I was letting out the clutch at a light, but I was able to get to where I needed to go because I started in second (long story, but you can obviously shift without a clutch if you have to, and if you keep moving). Perhaps it was the cold weather (39 F - my chilliest morning ride yet).

Thankful for this thread - I'll have to pick up a set of new connectors....
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

I also carry a pre greased replacement Cable inner wrapped in a ziplock baggie in the glove compartment. No more having to wait for a replacement, because then you can just change it right on the spot.
J H
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Yalzin wrote:I remember when I first bought my 4T in 2014, and there were a lot of posts about Clutch Cables breaking (mostly from 2Ts I guess?).

My cable finally started shredding 2 days ago. Got 11,500 miles out of that sucker.
Update: Replacement cable lasted 6,000 miles. Now on the third :)