Service Manual Sucks - What are the exhaust torque specs?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootbwh

Service Manual Sucks - What are the exhaust torque specs?

Post by scootbwh »

I need the specs for the exhaust nuts that mount the exhaust to the engine.
I also need the specs for the exhaust mount bolts (2 12mm bolts).

Help!

Thanks,
Matt
EricV

Re: Service Manual Sucks - What are the exhaust torque specs

Post by EricV »

scootbwh wrote:I need the specs for the exhaust nuts that mount the exhaust to the engine.
I also need the specs for the exhaust mount bolts (2 12mm bolts).
Matt
The manual does suck. General torque specs give 13-18 ft/lbs for the two 12 mm nuts that mount the exhaust to the engine.

The flange bolts that mount the exhaust to the frame are 14-22 ft/lbs, again, according to the general table for fastener torque values.

Realistically, you can't really screw it up on the exhaust nuts with a standard length 3/8" drive socket wrench. If you're using a new gasket, expect to go back and tighten it again in a week or so. You're compressing a new gasket, so it takes a bit more effort and you'll feel it snug up, but it will require more tightening to compress the gasket. On a re-used gasket it should snug down nicely and only take a bit more to be fully tight, the 1/8 to 1/4 turn rule works fine.

The flange bolts need to be tight, but not excessively. Snug them down, then go 1/8-1/4 of a turn and you should be fine.

Hope that helps.
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

Thanks for the help!
Where did you get those "general torque specs"?

I ended up taking my torque wrench to the other scooter and kept increasing the torque value until it started to turn the bolt, then reverted to the last size.

I ended up going with 25ft-lb on the 12mm bolts and "pretty snug" for the exhaust flange, but will re-check. I was taking a look at it just to see if it was de-restricted or not.
EricV

Post by EricV »

I got them from my '09 Genuine Buddy 150 manual in the front, Page 5.

It's labeled "Standard Torque Values"

I looked everywhere else too and the only torque values under the removal/replacement of the exhaust were for other bolts like the axle since it calls for removing the rear wheel.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

If I remember correctly you want to put a little anti seize on those two 12 mm bolts when reinstalling.