Me again! - After twist of throttle, won't return to idle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootbwh

Me again! - After twist of throttle, won't return to idle

Post by scootbwh »

Well, it doesn't return immediately as it should. It takes up to a minute or so. The idle is set correctly (around 1900 rpms).

Not sure what the issue could be. All of the hoses look fine/new. Carb newbie here :)
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

Usually this would indicate an issue with the vacuum lines. Suggest re-check all vacuum tubing and connections, including the smog stuff at front of engine. We have used propane gas (unlit) to find vacuum leaks...(not safe, but it has worked).
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Remove whatever you need to in order to observe the throttle cable/carb interaction. What you want to see is the carb return to its closed (idle) position once you release the throttle. If it doesn't do this, then you have some kind of interference or stickiness in the twist grip, cable, and or carb linkage. Rule this out first since it's the easiest thing to remedy. Greasy gunk on the carb crank/spring can cause sticking until everything warms up and loosens.

Also, the engine will idle at higher RPMs when it's cold and running on the extra rich mixture provided by the bystarter (enricher - the black cylinder with wires coming out of it on the carb). Once the bystarter warms up, the mixture will lean out and the RPMs will drop. With a cold engine, put the scoot up on the center stand and start it. Don't mess with the throttle. Just let it run for a couple of minutes and see of you notice an eventual drop in the idle speed.
Dooglas

Re: Me again! - After twist of throttle, won't return to idl

Post by Dooglas »

scootbwh wrote:Carb newbie here
It would be helpful if you tell us what scooter you have. My answer would have been much like Charlie's except it isn't certain your scooter has a carb.

(my guess from your previous post is a 2T 50cc Buddy?)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Does the throttle grip snap back immediately after you let go of it? If not, then the throttle grip may have been jammed into the handlebar from a drop. Maybe the throttle/switch assembly is a little loose allowing the grip to slide into the handlebar.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
scootbwh

Post by scootbwh »

Yes, the throttle snaps back as it should. Keep in mind this is nearly new (I know, take it in for warranty service...they're far away).

It's a 2T 50cc, yes.

Charlie55 - This is after the scoot has warmed up and is at its warm idle (no enrichment). Twist throttle, it snaps back, but hangs with high revs for a good time. Same holds true when I was riding it for the 8x miles that it has on it. You'd cruise around then come to a stop and it would just be way too loud/high rpm and never really settle unless you waited a good while.