Battery is a necessity

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

Battery is a necessity

Post by mukaiboston »

...at least on a fuel-injected scooter.

I've seen several threads where people debate whether it's safe to run a scooter without a battery.

A mere half hour ago, I put my battery into my Buddy 170 and started it up. The idle was extremely high and rough. I started riding and RPMs never dropped. It was a lot colder yesterday, but usually the on-board computer is supposed to detect the environment change. Eventually, the scooter started really sputtering.

As I slowed to a stop sign, the engine cut out. Tried to restart it but the ignition was completely lead. Turned the key a few times and everything seemed ok until the gas gauge also stopped working. The engine light would come on and stay on so I assumed that meant it was getting electricity, but I decided to check the battery anyway since that was the last thing I touched.

I discovered I hadn't screwed it in well and a screw vibrated loose on one terminal so it wasn't seated anymore. I screwed it all the way down to the point it was very secure. Then the scooter started right up and the computer regulated the idle speed after about a minute and the RPMs dropped.
--
This reminds me of an experience I had a year ago when it was -10 celsius out and could not get my scooter to start...it just kept trying to turn over. At the time I thought it was fuel line freeze, however that spring I ended up load testing the battery. While the voltage was fine, the amps were not since the numbers dropped drastically once I tried to start the scooter or even when I used the turn signals.

I think that fuel pump runs exclusively off the battery and, if the battery amperage is bad or the battery is not present, there will not be enough power to work it. This is also why I think my scooter must have died at the stop sign. When the scooter is in gear and switches to idle, it must be the fuel pump that needs to kick in to keep the engine on.

So, on a fuel-injected scooter, you have to have a battery or it will not run.
Dooglas

Re: Battery is a necessity

Post by Dooglas »

mukaiboston wrote:So, on a fuel-injected scooter, you have to have a battery or it will not run.
Yes :wink:
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

So upon doing some research, it appears having a battery disconnected can do some serious damage the ECU and alternator. That’s not good. Hope nothing is broken now although it certainly seems ok
skipper20

Re: Battery is a necessity

Post by skipper20 »

mukaiboston wrote:...at least on a fuel-injected scooter.

I've seen several threads where people debate whether it's safe to run a scooter without a battery.

A mere half hour ago, I put my battery into my Buddy 170 and started it up. The idle was extremely high and rough. I started riding and RPMs never dropped. It was a lot colder yesterday, but usually the on-board computer is supposed to detect the environment change. Eventually, the scooter started really sputtering.

As I slowed to a stop sign, the engine cut out. Tried to restart it but the ignition was completely lead. Turned the key a few times and everything seemed ok until the gas gauge also stopped working. The engine light would come on and stay on so I assumed that meant it was getting electricity, but I decided to check the battery anyway since that was the last thing I touched.

I discovered I hadn't screwed it in well and a screw vibrated loose on one terminal so it wasn't seated anymore. I screwed it all the way down to the point it was very secure. Then the scooter started right up and the computer regulated the idle speed after about a minute and the RPMs dropped.
--
This reminds me of an experience I had a year ago when it was -10 celsius out and could not get my scooter to start...it just kept trying to turn over. At the time I thought it was fuel line freeze, however that spring I ended up load testing the battery. While the voltage was fine, the amps were not since the numbers dropped drastically once I tried to start the scooter or even when I used the turn signals.

I think that fuel pump runs exclusively off the battery and, if the battery amperage is bad or the battery is not present, there will not be enough power to work it. This is also why I think my scooter must have died at the stop sign. When the scooter is in gear and switches to idle, it must be the fuel pump that needs to kick in to keep the engine on.

So, on a fuel-injected scooter, you have to have a battery or it will not run.
Which is why fuel-injected scooters don't have kick starts.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Argee

Same thing just happened to me!

Post by Argee »

Thanks for posting this. I just came here to see what kind of advice I could find, my 2013 170i died at a traffic light, then the next morning it would turn over but would not start. Tonight I put the battery on a high-amp charger, and she started right up. I think I'll upgrade, or at least charge it more often. I only ride 1-3 days a week.
Dooglas

Re: Same thing just happened to me!

Post by Dooglas »

Argee wrote: I think I'll upgrade, or at least charge it more often. I only ride 1-3 days a week.
If your battery will not hold a charge while the scooter is being ridden 1-3 times a week - you need a new battery.
k1dude

Re: Same thing just happened to me!

Post by k1dude »

Dooglas wrote:
Argee wrote: I think I'll upgrade, or at least charge it more often. I only ride 1-3 days a week.
If your battery will not hold a charge while the scooter is being ridden 1-3 times a week - you need a new battery.
It depends on the length of the trips. I typically do very short multiple errand trips and the charging system can't keep up with all the short starts and stops. I have no choice but to use a trickle charger every couple weeks.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If I get 3 years out of a battery I'm happy.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL