Unicorn Cruiser Spotted at EICMA?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Unicorn Cruiser Spotted at EICMA?

Post by jrsjr »

I have the sense that somebody at BMW got tired of waiting for the Unicorn Cruiser and decided to do it themselves. Here it is. The specs are droolworthy and so is the bike.

Tube-Steel Frame
350cc, Liquid-Cooled
Four-Valve
Single Cylinder
34 Horsepower
25.8 ft.-lbs. of Torque
ABS
455 lbs
Attachments
BMW C400X
BMW C400X
BMW C400X.png (195.74 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

nice! And a price?
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

luckyscroller788 wrote:nice! And a price?
It's their 'entry level' scoot, so probably just a single kidney.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Nice! A bit heavy, but nice!
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:Nice! A bit heavy, but nice!
I was thinking the same thing. But it doesn't look too top heavy the way the BV350 looks and feels.

And although the general form looks right along the lines of the mythical Unicorn Cruiser that everyone has been dreaming about, I'm not sure how much cargo capacity this BMW scooter has. If it is anything like the larger BMW scoots, there is precious little space in the pet carrier.

I have to say - although it's not my aesthetic style - the Burgman 400 is a wonderful long distance cruising scoot. Plenty(!) of under seat storage, nice engine and ergos, not as heavy or as bulky (not at all) as it looks like it might be - and even rather smart in handling.

I like the looks of this BMW 350 better, but I'm dubious of it's cargo capacity as a cruiser*.

* I'm thinking 'day ride up the California coast and back'. i.e. 2-3 day distance rides (not Cannonball distance cross-country rides).
Last edited by Christophers on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Check out the new SYM Maxim and the Yamaha Xmax 300. Those are some nice alternatives.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I still use my 100 mile rule, so Piaggio scooters are out. We lost our local Kymco dealer (dropped the range) and I have my reasons for not going with SYM products. Now, that BMW is tempting.Here's the thing, when the wife and I stopped by our local BMW dealer to look at the scooters they said, in a snobby voice, that they had no urge or reason to carry them. Unless you show up in the parking lot in a $40,000+ car the dealer looks down on you. Still may track down a Honda Silverwing for my next scooter or a Yamaha Majesty if my friend will come off his. But that BMW is almost perfect. Would love to see one in person and take it for a spin. Shame our BMW dealership hates poor people so much!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

You have to pay the dealer to turn the oil service light off even if you do it yourself on the 650.

Fancy

Bikes like this really take the frugality of scooter ownership out of the picture in the US. If you wanted luxury, it would likely be cheaper to own a used Mercedes - at least you could do the oil changes yourself.

So your local scooter shop can't service it and the BMW dealer won't answer the phone when you call. Sounds like a winner to me :lol:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Not a bad looking machine. The specs are aligned with a Majesty 400 or a Burgman 400, but it does that with 50 fewer cc's, slightly bigger wheels and a rugged look that might appeal to riders who would otherwise be put off by maxiscoots.

The fact that they brought back the Flexcase from the C600 suggests that underseat storage is scant when riding.

If I had had my druthers, I'd still go for am XMAX. My wallet promises to stop screaming if I just get over it and be happy with the Majesty.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My '83 Suzuki 750 sportbike (when I had it) made more than twice the power, had three more cylinders, and weighed only about 20 pounds more. Scary. The Suzuki didn't have ABS though, maybe that's whats making the BMW so heavy... :lol:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Syd

Post by Syd »

sc00ter wrote:I still use my 100 mile rule, so Piaggio scooters are out. We lost our local Kymco dealer (dropped the range) and I have my reasons for not going with SYM products. Now, that BMW is tempting.Here's the thing, when the wife and I stopped by our local BMW dealer to look at the scooters they said, in a snobby voice, that they had no urge or reason to carry them. Unless you show up in the parking lot in a $40,000+ car the dealer looks down on you. Still may track down a Honda Silverwing for my next scooter or a Yamaha Majesty if my friend will come off his. But that BMW is almost perfect. Would love to see one in person and take it for a spin. Shame our BMW dealership hates poor people so much!
What's your 100 mile rule?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The front bodywork looks like it does not turn, while just the top with the windshield turns. Interesting.
No Break My Wallets for me. You can purchase a better product than BMW, but you'll have to pay less (LOL).
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

GregsBuddy wrote:The front bodywork looks like it does not turn, while just the top with the windshield turns. Interesting.
What? Like this?
Attachments
11061105_200.jpg
11061105_200.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

GregsBuddy wrote:The front bodywork looks like it does not turn, while just the top with the windshield turns. Interesting.
Who builds a scooter whose leg shields turn with the front fork?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Thinking about the weight, I did a little comparison shopping. Here are the relative weights of the other scooters in this category.

Suzuki Burgman 400 - 489 lbs (wet, I think)
Yamaha Majesty 400 - 443 lbs (dry) 490 lbs (wet)
BMW C400X - 450 lbs (wet)

The BMW's weight is actually lower than similar scooters. I suspect this is at least partly due to the fact that the C400X has less bodywork than the other two, but the C400X is actually kind of mean looking compared to those other two. The C400X is pretty much everything we asked for, except inexpensive. Sigh...
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote:The C400X is pretty much everything we asked for, except inexpensive. Sigh...
... and the space to store it.
Attachments
BJN17892.jpg
BJN17892.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
09-2013-BMW-C600-sport-storage.jpg
09-2013-BMW-C600-sport-storage.jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

100 mile rule. If I have to take the scooter or bike in for a service/recall/etc. and the dealership is more than 100 miles away. I have a truck and I have a small motorcycle trailer, but 100 miles or more is just to far to lug a two wheeler around. Im to old for that now. On top of that, the only Piaggio dealer that just avoids that rule messed my wifes Buddy 125 up. If they cant fix a simple Buddy 125 than Im not gonna let them work on something complicated like a BV350 or a MP3. I have a great Honda dealership within walking distance of my house and a good Suzuki/Yamaha dealership about 4 miles past them that has earned my trust. The BMW dealership is not to far but they only allow the rich and famous in their dealership so I guess I will stick to Honda or Suzuki. Shame we lost our local KYMCO dealership. So review=I do not buy a two wheel vehicle that requires me to haul it 100 miles or more for dedicated service. QLINK helped make that rule with their awesome quality and warranty!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Is this new BMW 400 powered by a KYMCO motor also? I read somewhere that the big BMW has a KYMCO built motor.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:
Thinking about the weight, I did a little comparison shopping. Here are the relative weights of the other scooters in this category.

Suzuki Burgman 400 - 489 lbs (wet, I think)
Yamaha Majesty 400 - 443 lbs (dry) 490 lbs (wet)
BMW C400X - 450 lbs (wet)
Dry weight of the BV 350 is 390 lbs. Wet weight is a little over 400 lbs. The new BMW is rated at 34 hp, the BV at 33.
Christophers wrote:I was thinking the same thing. But it doesn't look too top heavy the way the BV350 looks and feels.
I can't help "looks" but have you ridden a BV 350? I put over 10,000 miles on one and it was the best handling large scooter I've ever ridden.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I've seen a wet weight for my Majesty of 467lbs. Found a few other sites that list that value as well. She's a big girl, but not quite quarter-ton hefty.

She can also out-turn Helixes, especially at low speeds. :P

A littany of complaints follows:

- Stock windscreen is rubbish. Rain runs up the vent duct and sprays on you from inside!
- No audible indicator for the turn signals. Turn, count to three and thumb the button!
- No passing lamp trigger. Toggle-to-pass is annoying.
- Dashboard is unreadable in the midday sun. Guarantees you'll forget your blinker.
- Dual air intake filters for a thumper with one throttle body?
- Air filters are more more fiddly to replace than most other scooters and need more frequent changes.
- No 12VDC power from the factory.
- Tiny battery for the bike's size. Uses an 8A battery stock!
- Valve lifters are shim-under-bucket. Adjustments are a pain.
- Brake lines must be detatched to remove lower headset trim.
- The glove box seals! They do nothing! Even when replaced with OE parts.
- The backrest is non-adjustable and non-removable on 2008-on Majesties.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Good points on the Majesty! Still fun to ride. We wired in a beeper for the signals on my friends Majesty. Air filters sucked the first time. Prior owner used a 3 sided phillips screw driver on the covers! My friend paid $1500 for his and it is in good overall shape. If he sells it for the same price I might jump on it. Have yet to do the valves on his, I will have to have a six pack ready when it comes time to do them. Hate the shim system! Oh, and the battery placement is not the best either. We ran outboard wires to help with dreaded jump starts (prior owner had a stereo installed and the amp remote did not always cut it off, has since been pulled from the scooter).
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

az_slynch wrote:..... She can also out-turn Helixes, especially at low speeds. :P
Hardly something to brag about - so can an Iowa-class battleship.

Cage-rattle acknowledged. :D
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Nothing y'all have said has put a dent in my enthusiasm for the C400X, but my accountant asks that you please keep trying! :P
Attachments
BMW C400X Underseat - Small.jpg
BMW C400X Underseat - Small.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:Nothing y'all have said has put a dent in my enthusiasm for the C400X, but my accountant asks that you please keep trying! :P
OK, maybe you can justify the purchase price, but the cost of BMW-Approved Tire Inflation Air will have you in Chapter 13 within a year.

BTW: Does this model have turn signals, or are they, as appears to the case with their automobiles, optional? :wink:
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Price will help in that jrsjr. It will have to compete with some scooters that already have a following/reputation on price, quality and service cost. If our local dealership didnt hate poor people and I could service it myself (paper service manual) and the ergos worked for the wife and I it would be at the top of our list for the next replacement scooter. I personally love the drop down pet carrier space. Its not because of a lack of space, but uses wasted space when parked. Nice overall specs, now for the rest of the details to emerge.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

jrsjr wrote:Nothing y'all have said has put a dent in my enthusiasm for the C400X, but my accountant asks that you please keep trying! :P
I like the bike too. :)
But for my money the Unicorn Cruiser should at least allow me to cruise.
If that second helmet barely fits in the pet carrier with the flexcase extended, then the C400X has little more space for carrying an over-night bag than my Buddy 125 does. That's my only issue with this bike as the Unicorn Cruiser.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Im sure BMW sells a rear rack for it, then you can mount a big trunk. I rub trunks on all my scooters. SHAD makes nice ones for the price.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

az_slynch wrote:I've seen a wet weight for my Majesty of 467lbs. Found a few other sites that list that value as well. She's a big girl, but not quite quarter-ton hefty.

She can also out-turn Helixes, especially at low speeds. :P

A littany of complaints follows:

- Stock windscreen is rubbish. Rain runs up the vent duct and sprays on you from inside!
- No audible indicator for the turn signals. Turn, count to three and thumb the button!
- No passing lamp trigger. Toggle-to-pass is annoying.
- Dashboard is unreadable in the midday sun. Guarantees you'll forget your blinker.
- Dual air intake filters for a thumper with one throttle body?
- Air filters are more more fiddly to replace than most other scooters and need more frequent changes.
- No 12VDC power from the factory.
- Tiny battery for the bike's size. Uses an 8A battery stock!
- Valve lifters are shim-under-bucket. Adjustments are a pain.
- Brake lines must be detatched to remove lower headset trim.
- The glove box seals! They do nothing! Even when replaced with OE parts.
- The backrest is non-adjustable and non-removable on 2008-on Majesties.
Shim under bucket is a deal breaker for me. My KLR 650 ended up being down all last winter because I took it apart and rolled it to the back of the shop after pulling out the shims. :lol:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I found a reference to an MSRP of $4599. Seeing how the G310R has an MSRP of $4999, I would expect the C400X to come in between $5999 and $6999. If it resonates with the trendy set, I'd expect a dealer surcharge as well.

Took a 150 mile ride with friends today. Weird epiphany was that I'd worked on all five bikes present. At least nothing broke. Only forgot to cancel the blinker on the Majesty once.

k1dude

Post by k1dude »

charlie55 wrote:BTW: Does this model have turn signals, or are they, as appears to the case with their automobiles, optional? :wink:
Are those led's turn signals? The downward facing ones just to the left of the fork on the body panel?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

k1dude wrote:
charlie55 wrote:BTW: Does this model have turn signals, or are they, as appears to the case with their automobiles, optional? :wink:
Are those led's turn signals? The downward facing ones just to the left of the fork on the body panel?

Yep, that's the standard location for them on sport scooters these days.

Five bucks says that they won't pass DOT requirements and we'll get some goofy looking blinker pods. They did it to the TMAX and the XMAX.

az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

sc00ter wrote:Good points on the Majesty! Still fun to ride. We wired in a beeper for the signals on my friends Majesty. Air filters sucked the first time. Prior owner used a 3 sided phillips screw driver on the covers! My friend paid $1500 for his and it is in good overall shape. If he sells it for the same price I might jump on it.
If you do get it, order all the Malossi CVT parts (Multivar, Delta clutch, white contra spring) and be amazed at how much better acceleration can be. Markedly better off the line, party starts around 15 indicated and it starts accelerating like a TMAX around 20. Doesn't fall on it's face when the clutch locks up anymore.