Auto-Choke and higher than normal Idle during warmup.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NetSurge

Auto-Choke and higher than normal Idle during warmup.

Post by NetSurge »

Hello y'all, first post, newish to scooters. So I've been doing some reading around trying to diagnose why my 2008 buddy 150 has started to idle at a higher speed than normal firs the first 2-3 minutes of use.

The weather started to get a bit colder and with it, it seems to have brought a higher than normal idle. Its not enough to move the scooter, but its close. After about 2 minutes, idle goes down and works fine.

The scooter works just fine, but when I stop at red lights, the idle is almost high enough to engage the clutch. I don't want to leave it in this high-ish idle state for too long, I'm worried about it causing wear on some parts in the CV.

Could this be the autochoke? Simple as a carb adjustment? Starts up ok, takes off ok, and when its warm, there are no problems. Other than some jerkeyness at slow speed / starting off, but I think thats the rollers, so I'm ordering new ones.

Thanks!
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

It's not the rollers. It's something carburetor related. I'd suggest to clean the jets in the carb and see how it goes from there.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
NetSurge

Post by NetSurge »

RoaringTodd wrote:It's not the rollers. It's something carburetor related. I'd suggest to clean the jets in the carb and see how it goes from there.
Thanks, yeah I was saying that the rollers are another issue. I should have just left that sentence out. The question around the higher idle for the first 2 min the scooter is on. But after the scooter warms up the idle returns to normal.

The scooter runs fine during this period, just higher idle at stop lights, then after 2 min idle goes back down and scooter continues to run fine. I didn't have this issue with a rather high idle for 1-2 minutes before.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It's definitely the auto choke enriching the mixture in colder temps. Nothing to worry about.
NetSurge

Post by NetSurge »

charlie55 wrote:It's definitely the auto choke enriching the mixture in colder temps. Nothing to worry about.

Its higher than it was last winter. its almost enough to move the scooter. Is that normal? Thats why I was concerned with causing wear on some part or the belt if it was so close to engaging.