Yamaha Vino Classic 50cc

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pajer

Yamaha Vino Classic 50cc

Post by pajer »

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts regarding my Yamaha Vino Classic 50cc.
I bought it a couple of months ago used. 2007 with 4600 miles. Starts and runs great. When parked in the garage, there is a definite odor of gas, but no major leak (I've noticed a periodic drip under the bike but no more than that). My fuel mileage is also less than expected - between 50-60 mpg. Any thoughts on what the issue might be? Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA
Dooglas

Re: Yamaha Vino Classic 50cc

Post by Dooglas »

pajer wrote:When parked in the garage, there is a definite odor of gas, but no major leak (I've noticed a periodic drip under the bike but no more than that).
So, find the leak. Possibly a cracked plastic fuel line, or a leak at a clamp where a line attaches.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I would think there's either a leak or not. It could be overflowing at the evap hose perhaps? if you overfill, it might drip a bit. Also check the lines at major junctions. Maybe it has a tiny crack where it expands.

Also, check the belt for wear, make sure there is air in the tires, etc. Not enough air will reduce power and MPG.

Fuel line is cheap. If you're not familiar, a shop should be able to do it at a pretty reasonable rate and give you a quick tuneup.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Where are you seeing the drip?

Pull your air filter and see if it is soaked in fuel. You have a vacuum activated petcock that is supposed to stop the fuel flow when the bike stop running. If the petcock is bad, you the fuel will keep flowing because the tank is higher than the carb. Pull your spark plug and see if it is black and sooty. Are you up on the regular maintenance? Plug should be cleaned and gapped every 2k, replaced every 4k. Air filter and engine oil at 2k. Gear oil every 4k.
pajer

Post by pajer »

Thanks for the responses. The drip appears just in front of the kick stand when it's parked.
I did change the air filter when I got it and the previous one was well worn and did smell of gas. The new one is still in good shape and has no odor.
Regular oil changes had been done and was just done prior to me buying.

Just doing some research online, I have an idea that it is possibly leaking into the carb which is why the odor is so strong. Possibly a stuck float? I did notice the vent hose also had a small amount of gasoline on the end. I'll check that out and see if that's the issue.