Genuine G400C

Our very own Thumper!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

k1dude wrote:The only problem I might have with the XMAX is my height. I'm just over 6 feet and it might be cramped. I'll have to sit on one to make sure it's ok. I also don't want white.

These are the scooter specs we were all hoping Genuine would bring to market.
Agreed on every point. When I looked at the pic, my first thought was that the ergonomics look cramped, even for the small person they put on the XMAX for the pic. The other specs are pretty much what we hand in mind for the Unicorn. Oh well...
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Murphy's law... buy a new bike, a new one comes out.

SYM Citicom 300i is in the same engine range as the XMAX, but priced less. However, I find the styling to be a little bland.

Like others have said, this necessitates a seat test.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Triumph unveiled the completely redesigned (and rethought) 2018 Speedmaster today. You know the line in that old song that goes, "Hello Mary Lou, Goodbye Heart." That's what I felt when I first saw it. Fortunately, I have a spouse to remind me that $12K motorcycles are not in my future. But, wow, what a beautiful bike....
Attachments
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
2018 Triumph Speedmaster
Speedmaster_small.jpg (155.08 KiB) Viewed 171969 times
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

RoaringTodd wrote:Murphy's law... buy a new bike, a new one comes out.
daaaammmmm That is one beautiful bike.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

RoaringTodd wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Murphy's law... buy a new bike, a new one comes out.
daaaammmmm That is one beautiful bike.
100% agreed.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Syd

Post by Syd »

How about this one? Original vintage look.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/ ... 01360.html
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:How about this one? Original vintage look.

Nice, but I'm more a fan of this one:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0115-201011/1969-harley-davidson-sprint-350/
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jrsjr wrote:Nice, but I'm more a fan of this one.
Ahh, an Italian Harley Davidson. :wink:
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:
Syd wrote:How about this one? Original vintage look.

Nice, but I'm more a fan of this one:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0115-201011/1969-harley-davidson-sprint-350/
Yup, that's my holy grail. The only things holding me back are money, availability, time, a place to work on it, and a history of ill-fated resto projects. I really can't face the prospect of another "told you so" harangue from Her Majesty.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:Yup, that's my holy grail. The only things holding me back are money, availability, time, a place to work on it, and a history of ill-fated resto projects.
Restoration projects require copious quantities of all the resources you list plus I would add skill and knowledge to the list. This is why I once attempted to buy a running Sprint that I could at least putt around on while I was waiting to win the lottery, but, alas, the fellow who owned it wanted far more for it than it was worth. That brings us to the final problem with restoring a "classic." At the end, you have to ride it, show it, or sell it. This guy wanted to sell it, but he had so much invested in the (obviously non-collector-quality) restoration, that the whole bike wasn't worth what he had spent just on the (mediocre) restoration.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

jrsjr wrote:
charlie55 wrote:Yup, that's my holy grail. The only things holding me back are money, availability, time, a place to work on it, and a history of ill-fated resto projects.
Restoration projects require copious quantities of all the resources you list plus I would add skill and knowledge to the list. This is why I once attempted to buy a running Sprint that I could at least putt around on while I was waiting to win the lottery, but, alas, the fellow who owned it wanted far more for it than it was worth. That brings us to the final problem with restoring a "classic." At the end, you have to ride it, show it, or sell it. This guy wanted to sell it, but he had so much invested in the (obviously non-collector-quality) restoration, that the whole bike wasn't worth what he had spent just on the (mediocre) restoration.
And that's exactly why my winter projects this year are a rototiller, weedwhacker, and mower. All together there's about 220 cc's of raw B&S power, so I'd be willing to trade for a mint P200. I think that's a fair deal, no?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2017 Triumph Scrambler. Went to the dealer and sat on one (perfect fit!), talked to the sales guy for awhile, listened to it idling and revving (awesome sound!). Went home and thought about it a bit then jumped onto the dealers' website and filled out the financing worksheet then sat back to await the results. Got a text from the sales guy the next day asking when I'd like to come pick up the bike. Unfortunately, I remembered that I'm right in the middle of a bathroom remodel and spending 12K+ right now is probably not very good financial wisdom. Rats.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

It doesn't appear to be small displacement, but the neo cafe look is interesting.

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:While we were waiting, a different 400cc motorcycle also caught my eye.

Meet the Royal Enfield Himalayan (also not currently available in the USA).
Word yesterday is that the Himalayan is confirmed for the USA at a price of $4499. I am aware of construction quality concerns that have been aired online, but that's a very attractive price and right in line with the (expected) price of the G400C.

Folks, we said that such motorcycles would sell and now we are going to find out if we were right. Hope so!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Since the Triumph Scrambler is out of my price range, the RE Himalayan might be the best I can do for now. Hard to believe it costs about the same as a Blur 220i and very close to a Hooligan. Most of the other adventure bikes on the market are too tall for me so this may be a good match. After reading about and watching YouTube videos about some of the quality problems with this bike, I was understandably a little concerned. But after reading what someone posted on Motorcycle.com, I'm a little more confident of looking into getting a Himalayan when it arrives. Here is what changed my mind:

"SRMark, I've been researching the crap out of the Himalayan and Royal Enfield and here's some of what I found from various sources, Royal Enfield, Zigwheels NDTV, etc.etc.

The bike shares nothing with any previous Enfield. It's a clean sheet form follows function purpose driven that was never anything else or morphed from anything.
It's been an Adventure Bike from inception.

The design ,R&D, prototyping, development and track testing was all done By Harris Performance in the UK. ( Google them )
They are made in a new state of the art automated factory on European CNC machine centers, roboticly welded and painted. Brakes are Brembo subsidiary, EFI is Keihin, starter and most of the electrical is Denso.

There were three production runs The first, BS3/Euro 3 and US emissions compliant, was carbureted all were sold in India and and none were exported, That first run is where the complaints come from. The second run also BS3/Euro 3 and US carbureted, received at least 37 changes ( and counting ) which addressed the teething problems of the first run. Australia, Philippines and South America got second run Himalayans and the reports coming in are good.

The third run is EFI and meets BS4/Euro 4 US emission standards. The reports on those are good so far.

There's several Indian tour companies using them as rental mules flogging them up down the Himalayan mountains and they're holding up.

Expect them to arrive here in the US April 2018
Good bad or indifferent I'll let you know how it works out for me.
"

I'd probably get one in white to make it easier to paint it in whatever color I like...probably forest green.
I'm also excited to see what accessories will be available for this thing. I can see putting a top case on the rear rack. I can get plastic milk crates from work for free (they just throw them away) so that might be an option. It might be fun to pull the head off to see if any improvements can be made.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I'm curious why the 411cc in the Himalayan is only putting out 24 horses. Something doesn't seem right about that.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

There are a handful of 250cc street bikes that make more than 24 HP. Even the Chinese made CSC RX3 250 makes more HP.
-However, these 250s need to rev to 8000 rpm to make that HP.
-The Enfield thumpers make that HP at a considerably lower RPM, and produces a lot more torque.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

k1dude wrote:I'm curious why the 411cc in the Himalayan is only putting out 24 horses. Something doesn't seem right about that.
Air-cooled V-twin... seems about like what one should expect.

There's a nice comparison chart in the article linked to in the original post:
http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine ... -for-2016/
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Christophers wrote:
k1dude wrote:I'm curious why the 411cc in the Himalayan is only putting out 24 horses. Something doesn't seem right about that.
Air-cooled V-twin... seems about like what one should expect.

There's a nice comparison chart in the article linked to in the original post:
http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine ... -for-2016/
Erm, the Himalayan is a single...

I believe the engine was designed for a broad torque range and long life. So it develops its maximum torque at 4500 RPM, whereas the BMW while making more HP, doesn't reach maximum torque until much higher in its RPM range. Anyway, many of the motorcycles of old also made very modest power for their respective displacements, and since RE is basically still in the '50s...:)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

babblefish wrote:
Erm, the Himalayan is a single...
Whatever. :)

(Apparently I didn't look that closely at the description of the bike - and I guess I forgot that the entire thread is about single cylinder bikes :P) but that does put it even closer in line with what one would expect from this bike given the output of the Enfield Classic 500 (as indicated in the chart that I referenced).
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Royal Enfield has produced the Musket v-twin in the past. It looks like they won't produce it again, anytime soon.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:Royal Enfield has produced the Musket v-twin in the past. It looks like they won't produce it again, anytime soon.
My understanding is that the Musket V-twin is an after market engine rebuild, and you could still do one if you chose.

http://www.musketvtwin.com/order.html
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I didn't realize that the Musket v-twin is an aftermarket only item.
Six grand is pretty expensive for that kit.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

wheelbender6 wrote:I didn't realize that the Musket v-twin is an aftermarket only item.
Six grand is pretty expensive for that kit.
The guy who did that project, Anaket Vardhan, hand carved the molds from wood. I kid you not. Take a look at TheKneeSlider.com for lots of pics and updates on his work.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:Triumph unveiled the completely redesigned (and rethought) 2018 Speedmaster today. You know the line in that old song that goes, "Hello Mary Lou, Goodbye Heart." That's what I felt when I first saw it. Fortunately, I have a spouse to remind me that $12K motorcycles are not in my future. But, wow, what a beautiful bike....
Little Follow-Up: The 2018 Triumph Speedmaster was listed today in the California Air Resources Board - Highway Motorcycle Executive Orders - 2018 via this executive order.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Could this be it? Finally?

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/ce ... 0d8_hn.pdf
Nice sleuthing there, Syd! "SRM" is Shineray Motorcycles. I'm pretty sure this is the same 2-valve bike I got fooled by before earlier in this same thread. They are doing the 2017 ARB thing again with that bike. My question is - Why would they bother with ARB certification on a 2017 model year bike when 2017 is literally one week from being over? I think you'll agree that is prima facie weird. No doubt there's some good reason for it. I'm guessing there was a glitch and it took until now to get the certification done. Maybe they have stock of the 2017 that they plan to sell in 2018? Or maybe it's easier to get re-certified (in 2018) on a bike which has already been certified in the past? Or some other reason? If it turns out that they have piles of stock of the 2017 model, maybe they will put a really good price on them. I think they would sell like hotcakes at $3995, but that's just a fantasy of mine. It could be that there's nothing to this at all.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Forgive me, but I can't help picturing all you folks hanging 8 foot stockings on the mantle, leaving out a tray of Jack Daniels and buffalo wings, and anxiously waiting for the crack of dawn. :D

Well, I hope you all get a Christmas miracle and Santa tosses in a Unicorn Cruiser for being a part of the best, most courteous, helpful, and friendly scooter forum yet.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and may we all enjoy a new year of safe and enjoyable riding.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

charlie55 wrote:Forgive me, but I can't help picturing all you folks hanging 8 foot stockings on the mantle, leaving out a tray of Jack Daniels and buffalo wings, and anxiously waiting for the crack of dawn.
I like it! Great image.

And now it is nearly another year, and another chance for Genuine to make the G400C appear. And the latest rumor is that Genuine has been negotiating with one of the knockoff Lambretta look alike builders to import it to the US.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Dooglas wrote:And the latest rumor is that Genuine has been negotiating with one of the knockoff Lambretta look alike builders to import it to the US.
Are you talking about this rumor? :)
http://www.scooterfile.com/sf-feature/scomadi-usa-2018/

SCOMADI IS COMING TO THE UNITED STATES
News from Scomadi UK that an unnamed US importer is working on DOT/EPA certification for the Scomadi TL200. Timetable uncertain, but this is some news, and just in time for the holidays.
Last edited by Christophers on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

charlie55 wrote:Forgive me, but I can't help picturing all you folks hanging 8 foot stockings on the mantle, leaving out a tray of Jack Daniels and buffalo wings, and anxiously waiting for the crack of dawn. :D

Well, I hope you all get a Christmas miracle and Santa tosses in a Unicorn Cruiser for being a part of the best, most courteous, helpful, and friendly scooter forum yet.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and may we all enjoy a new year of safe and enjoyable riding.
Amen!!!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

A 180cc water cooled engine sounds good to me.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Christophers wrote:
Dooglas wrote:And the latest rumor is that Genuine has been negotiating with one of the knockoff Lambretta look alike builders to import it to the US.
Are you talking about this rumor? :)
http://www.scooterfile.com/sf-feature/scomadi-usa-2018/
Well, I have seen a couple. The one you posted, which says that Scomadi is in discussions with an un-named US importer, and another which says that Genuine is in discussion with an un-named manufacturer. Whether you can put the two rumors together - I do not know. At the moment, there are at least 3 Asian manufacturers of Lambretta knockoffs.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

wheelbender6 wrote:A 180cc water cooled engine sounds good to me.
I think if they bring the 400 to the US I would be all over it!

http://www.scooterlab.uk/lowdown-scomadi-400-news/

Depends on the final specifications, though. If the 400 gets too big and heavy then the Scomadi TL200 might be the right size after all.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

gave up on waiting for this apparition...bought a low mileage 2014 Yamaha V Star 250
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

kmrcstintn wrote:gave up on waiting for this apparition...bought a low mileage 2014 Yamaha V Star 250
That's a nice little bike! I'm a fan of almost anything with a small V-Twin in it and that's a good one that you should have no trouble getting your money back out of should you ever decide to move on to a larger bike.

Happy riding, kmrcstintn!

P.S. Feel free to post pics of your new ride.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Bringing this one back from the grave, but...
https://www.facebook.com/PhiladelphiaSc ... 1708905264

(which, if it does not load, Philadelphia Scooters took a deposit on, and rode some, g400c's)
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

For folks who can't (or don't want to) access Facebook, here is the most important part:
Kevin Jiannotti - Wow they are finally shipping them!

Philadelphia Scooters - Not yet!
I'm thrilled to see that Genuine haven't abandoned this project, but I just this moment checked and that bike is not in the EPA database or the 2018 CARB Executive Orders database or even the 2019 CARB Executive Orders database. The instant those bikes hit the database, I will be on here to report (and cheerfully eat crow). Until then, my favorite vaporware is a tossup between the G400C and the RE 650 Interceptor, both equally cool, both equally unavailable in the USA.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

PhillyKick wrote:Bringing this one back from the grave, but...

(which, if it does not load, Philadelphia Scooters took a deposit on, and rode some, g400c's)
This post is from three days ago - or last year? - or two years ago??
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Christophers wrote:

If you mouse over the dates above the photos, the page is programmed to deliver the full date, which is a couple days ago. Obviously, these folks have some information the rest of us don't have, but even they say that the bikes haven't been shipped yet, so...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Mahindra, the Indian company that owns rights to the Jawa name are doing their dead level best to jack everybody up for the launch of the Jawa line. It'll be interesting to see how this all works out, especially to see if any of these bikes ever reaches the USA.
Attachments
Jawa 350 Special
Jawa 350 Special
Jawa-350-Special.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 171505 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That is one beautiful bike!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Fast and bulbous.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Side note since we all like smaller displacement bikes: did you hear the news about KTM? It seems that KTM has signed a deal with CFMoto of China for engine and possibly motorcycle manufacturing. I dont know how to post links, but it seems common knowledge now. I HATE CFMoto products! Now all we will see is a bunch of KTM bikes breaking down for seal failure and electrical issues. Shame as I was really interested in the 390 Duke. I know, its currently made in India, but I seemed to trust the Indian made version. Again, CFMoto builds junk!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Speaking of KTM, both the Husqvarna Vitpilen and Svartpilen have been road tested by the media. (See link)
Yes, I know the Huskys cost 1.5 times the Genuine 400 MSRP. But, it shows how quickly a new bike (though adapted from the existing 390 Duke) can taken from a prototype to production model. http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... eview.html
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:
Christophers wrote:

If you mouse over the dates above the photos, the page is programmed to deliver the full date, which is a couple days ago. Obviously, these folks have some information the rest of us don't have, but even they say that the bikes haven't been shipped yet, so...
Not to stir anything up, but I should point out that the Facebook post that started this thread bubbling again has been deleted. Reading down the Philadelphia Scooters FB page I see a little info in the thread associated with the photo of three G400Cs which is currently the Philadelphia Scooters FB cover photo. Here is the exchange:
Manuela Tripepi: they up for sale?

Philadelphia Scooters: July/August. We are taking deposits.
That is the only tidbit of information I have, but it's something.

Be advised that these bikes still haven't appeared on anybody's database. Just to be 100% certain, I ran the EPA database and both 2018 and 2019 CARB databases just now 3AM Monday May 7, 2018 and it's not on any of them. If they are going to sell that bike in the USA, somebody needs to get going on some paperwork. Especially when you consider that this thread announcing the imminent arrival of these motorcycles was started 912 days ago. In that many days, I could have fully funded the purchase of one of these bikes with a swear jar...
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon May 07, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

They are still taking deposits on the Elio too, lol.
I heard that Elio may change their game plan to offer an electric powered trike.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Went to my local scooter shop (SF Scooter Center) today to get a tire mounted and picked up some interesting information.

1) The G400 should be available for purchase everywhere in the US except for California in about three to four weeks. Because of California's more complex emissions laws, we won't see them until near the end of the year.

2) SF Scooter Center will be carrying the G400 in their store.

3) There will be three variants of the G400: Classic, Cafe Racer, and Sports.

4) The release delay was due to the VW emissions controversy. The EPA rescinded all new applications and required everyone to resubmit their applications.

5) SF Scooter Center will also be carrying a new line of scooters from a company called Royal Alloy. Some of you will know their scooter under the name of Scomati.

https://www.royalalloy.com/index
https://youtu.be/tG64xCL6lFo

6) SF Scooter Center owner Barry has a KTM scooter in the store that makes around 50HP and will hit almost 120MPH. He's afraid to ride it because going 100+ on 12" tires is kinda scary. I will post pictures in a separate thread.

That is all.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Very interested in those Royal Alloys. I've been following them for some time and I'd love to see the 400 metal bodies over here.