First time Genuine Scooter owner

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tac1

First time Genuine Scooter owner

Post by Tac1 »

This isn't by far my first bike or scooter, I picked up a 2009 buddy 50 Italia series with only 60miles on the odometer, that's right 60! So needless to say I got a screaming deal for a new scooter for only $340, kid was moving outta state and had a fire sale on stuff he owned. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, gain some knowledge about the brand, make a few mods and some fun times riding this lil guy.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First time Genuine Scooter owner

Post by jrsjr »

Tac1 wrote:This isn't by far my first bike or scooter, I picked up a 2009 buddy 50 Italia series with only 60miles on the odometer, that's right 60! So needless to say I got a screaming deal for a new scooter for only $340, kid was moving outta state and had a fire sale on stuff he owned. Just wanted to say hello to everyone, gain some knowledge about the brand, make a few mods and some fun times riding this lil guy.
You got a B50 Italia for $340?!? With 60 miles on the odometer?

Welcome to Modern Buddy.

You got a B50 Italia for $340?!? With 60 miles on the odometer?

That's a cool little machine I hope you will enjoy. Aside from the stylish bodywork, that scooter has a two-stroke Minarelli-based motor which can be hopped up easily with a cylinder kit and a larger main jet in the carb.

Since it's hardly ever been ridden, the carb in that scoot will need to be cleaned carefully. Since you've indicated that you would like to make a few mods, I suggest you start with a 70cc cylinder kit and the appropriate main jet to go with it at the time of the carb cleaning.

And, while you are at it, you'll want to make sure the scoot is de-restricted. There's a spacer that goes in the CVT and a flow restrictor which goes in the exhaust (which is just a metal washer). Usually, this will have been done by the dealer upon delivery, but you want to make sure it's done or it will slow your scooter down a bunch. You have to pull the exhaust to do the cylinder upgrade, so check the exhaust then.

Check the two-stroke oil. You don't want to run it without 2-stroke oil.

You probably need new tires. A real mechanic would say you definitely need new tires. And a new battery.

And then you should be able to run with traffic at surface road speeds.

You got a B50 Italia for $340?!? With 60 miles on the odo? Damn!

Welcome again to Modern Buddy!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Great deal, Tac1. And welcome to Modern Buddy!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Tac1

Post by Tac1 »

Yeah only paid $340, still can't believe it haha. Yeah it def needs a good carb cleaning, gotta pull the washer out behind the variator and the exhaust restrictor. Gonna hold off on the 70cc bike kit for a bit. Gonna swap out clutch weights and rollers first. Simply stuff first, see how the lil guy responds. Gotta make the pics smaller so I can post them up here.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Tac1 wrote:Yeah only paid $340, still can't believe it haha. Yeah it def needs a good carb cleaning, gotta pull the washer out behind the variator and the exhaust restrictor. Gonna hold off on the 70cc bike kit for a bit. Gonna swap out clutch weights and rollers first. Simply stuff first, see how the lil guy responds. Gotta make the pics smaller so I can post them up here.
My stock 50 recipe: 82 main jet, 6 gram sliders, 1500 rpm clutch springs.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Heck of a deal! Welcome to Modern Buddy! Ride safe, have fun!

...it wasn't hot, was it? :lol:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Wertles

Post by Wertles »

You can get screaming deals on these up here at this time of year. I picked up my 170 a year ago that was in showroom condition, a bunch of extras and 2,000 miles for $1100.
2012 125 Seafoam Buddy
2014 170i Matte Black Buddy
Tac1

Post by Tac1 »

Yup, up in western N.Y. it's bike buying season if you wanna get a hell of a deal from people who wanna dump them before winter services and they're forces to store it till spring. So far this past fall I've picked up a 2016 KTM Duke with 860 miles with $2K worth of extras and a 2015 Yamaha FZ-09 with 1,600 miles with a few goodies. I also have a 2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide that I bought new and she's got a permanent home with me lol. Prob gonna sell the KTM come spring time, 4 bikes is too many lol.