New scooter owner having trouble finding wheel bearing size

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoosterQMoney

New scooter owner having trouble finding wheel bearing size

Post by RoosterQMoney »

So I bought a buddy 50 recently. At 30 mph it starts going wha wha wha wha with vibration that kinda oscillates, at 35 the whaaas start stretching out longer. At 40 it is almost a constant gentler whaaaa and vibration. I hope that makes since. I think it might be wheel bearings. I can't figure out where to find replacement bearings or what size I need. I have searched and am starting to think that somehow buddy 50s don't have wheel bearings. Can anyone give me insight on the noise and bearing size?
RoosterQMoney

Post by RoosterQMoney »

Also when I let go of the handle bars the bike pulls left and I have to lean right a good bit to keep the bike going straight
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Here ya' go (part #96520620100):

http://www.scooterdynasty.com/05f-front ... buddy.aspx

They're actually 6201's, and you can get them a heck of a lot cheaper almost anywhere else.

That said, in my experience failed bearings make more of a grinding, crunching noise, and not the sound you are describing. They also don't tend to cause a directional pull. Sounds more like a bent fork or misaligned bars.

Get your front wheel off the ground, spin it by hand, while listening for that sound and also feeling if there's any drag at any point in the rotation. That should be a good indicator as to whether or not your bearings are shot.

Did you buy the scoot new or used? If used, how many miles on it?
RoosterQMoney

Post by RoosterQMoney »

Bought it used with 7500 miles, guy said he recently rebuilt the top end and carb. The noise and vibration are bothering me. Maybe it is tire balance? It is my only vehicle, I went through three car engines in 4 years and I am done with cars for good. Money pits on wheels. I have a friend that is a professional Harley mechanic, I'm gonna have him take it for a ride. See what he thinks, but I'm not much of a vehicle mechanic. I figured since it seems to be speed dependent and not rpm dependent issue is probably after the variator, could it be a clutch issue?
RoosterQMoney

Post by RoosterQMoney »

Both wheels seem fine, the front brake disc does drag just a tiny bit, super slight, could that be the issue?
RoosterQMoney

Post by RoosterQMoney »

Only at one point in the rotation does it drag, that's probably important.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Don't sweat the slight disc drag - it's not uncommon and definitely would not cause pulling to one side.

Frankly, it is very difficult to diagnose noise/vibration problems remotely. It could be any number or combination of things. Since you admit to not being mechanically inclined (at least as far as scooters go) you are probably better off having your friend look at it in person

When you do find the cause, please be sure to post it here as it may be helpful to other board members.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

That sound you describe sounds like a normal Buddy 50 to me. Those engines vibrate quite a bit at high RPMs. If the bearings were bad you'd be able to wiggle the wheel back and forth.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How do your pads look. Does the rotor have any deep scores. It would be a good idea to flush and bleed your brake system if it has never been done.