Changing the Time on a Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tankgurl46

Changing the Time on a Buddy Kick

Post by Tankgurl46 »

Does anyone know how to change the time on the display on the Buddy Kick?

The instructions are confusing and I can't figure out how to do it. It says to disconnect the power and press the button and a set up menu should show up. I have tried it with both the key in the ignition and not turned on and with it out of the ignition and no set up screen appears for me.

Any ideas?
paracer

Post by paracer »

Not sure may of us have Kick experience.

Does it reset to 12:00 whenever you connect the battery? You could reconnect at noon... or midnight.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Your dealer should be able to help you with that.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

My dealer set the time for me when I bought it, I think the key has to be in "run", kill switch on run, and display on time AND overall mileage, not trip mileage. Hold the button down, and once the time starts blinking, short presses change the digit that's blinking and long presses advance to the next digit. They really should've sprung for a second button, I accidentally put mine back into kilometers the other day while trying to reset the trip counter, haha. (1.06 gallons or the first 66 miles! $2.82 because I sprung for 93 octane instead of 91!!)

Great to see another Kick on the forums, I think I have one of only four in the Philly area, seems like Genuine isn't pushing them too hard for being a new product.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Welcome to MB, PhillyKick. Always nice to meet more Philly riders. Check out Hostile City Scooter Club on FB.

Back to the regular programming....
Tankgurl46

Thank You

Post by Tankgurl46 »

Thank you for your reply! I will try that trick when I get home. I figured out how to change from KM's to miles thing, but changing the time has frustrated me.

I am loving my Buddy Kick! Very happy with my purchase. What color did you get PhillyKick?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Clocks are handy. I used to tell my wife I'll ride for an hour but come back 2-3 hours later to a freaked out wife who thought I must have crashed. Time flies when you're having fun. Got a stick-on clock & use it every ride. I miss the days when I could hop on my motorcycle & do a 200-400 mile ride without answering to anyone but that's a chapter for another day. : )
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

PhillyKick

Re: Thank You

Post by PhillyKick »

Tankgurl46 wrote:Thank you for your reply! I will try that trick when I get home. I figured out how to change from KM's to miles thing, but changing the time has frustrated me.

I am loving my Buddy Kick! Very happy with my purchase. What color did you get PhillyKick?
Bright, obnoxious, steal me orange. Can't get a picture to load right now, unfortunately.

roaringtodd wrote:Check out Hostile City Scooter Club on FB.
Joined there before joining here, actually. Sad I missed the ride to New Hope, looked fun!
Whirlgrrl

Post by Whirlgrrl »

I've been trying to figure out this clock for a while. I'll be trying these tips when I get home. Thanks!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Welcome to Modern Buddy, Whirlgrrl! I'm really excited to hear from another new Buddy Kick owner. I'm very interested to hear/see what you have to say.

Again, Welcome! :D
Whirlgrrl

Post by Whirlgrrl »

Well I still can’t figure out the damn clock - makes me crazy
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Just ride over to Philly Scooters... I'm sure they will show you easy peasy, and they're usually open tilll 7pm anyways.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

RoaringTodd wrote:Just ride over to Philly Scooters... I'm sure they will show you easy peasy, and they're usually open tilll 7pm anyways.
And when you figure it out, please feel free to make an instructional thread with pictures and post it up here. If one person had difficulty with it, for sure somebody else will, too.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

jrsjr wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:Just ride over to Philly Scooters... I'm sure they will show you easy peasy, and they're usually open tilll 7pm anyways.
And when you figure it out, please feel free to make an instructional thread with pictures and post it up here. If one person had difficulty with it, for sure somebody else will, too.
Agreed, I scoured the manual but it's either not there or I missed it. Mine is now off by like 25 minutes and it's maddening. I think they disconnected the battery when I took it in for service last time.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Ootscoot

Setting the Kick clock

Post by Ootscoot »

To set the clock on the Kick, try holding the button down while turning off the key and then back on - should get you in clock mode
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
CaseyGuy

Post by CaseyGuy »

I encountered the same difficulties with the inadequate instructions in the owner's manual. So I drafted my own instructions:

Special Set-Up mode
As far as I have been able to discover so far, the Set-Up allows you to change two things: 1) the 24-hour time indicated on the display panel in Time mode; and 2) the contrast of the display panel itself. It is a rather finicky process, so take your time and follow these directions carefully:
Changing the time, and setting the display’s contrast
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Hold down the speedometer's black Function button.
3. While still holding down the black Function button, turn the ignition key to the On position. (You don’t need to fire up the engine.) The Genuine Scooter logo will appear in the display, exactly as it does when you turn on the ignition to start up the scooter. The screen will eventually will go to the “S1� screen, used for setting the time. The word “TIME� will appear on the upper right of the display panel, and the currently set time will appear in the center, in in the display’s 24-hour format. You can now release the Function button.
4. The digit(s) for the hour will be flashing. To advance the hour, make single presses of the Function button. If you go too far, just cycle through the 24 hours and try again. (There’s no way to go backward; just forward.)
5. Once the hour is correct, press and hold down the Function button until the first digit of minutes starts flashing. (Note: This is just the first digit of the minutes, from 0 to 5.) Make single presses on the Function button to advance the digits until you get to the correct one. As before, if you go too far or if you want a number lower than the one displayed, just cycle through the 6 digits until you get to the correct one.
6. Once the first digit of minutes is correct, press and hold down the Function button until the second digit of minutes starts flashing. To advance the minute digits, make single presses on the Function button. As before, if you go too far or if you want a number lower than the one displayed, just cycle through the 10 digits (0 to 9) until you get to the correct one.
7. When the time is correct, press and hold down the Function button until the display changes to the "S2" screen for setting the display's contrast. The word “DISPLAY� will appear at the upper right of the display, and a bar graph will appear in the center of the display.
8. If you’re happy with the contrast the way it is, press and hold the black Function button until the screen returns to the normal Current Time mode.
9. But if you want to adjust the contrast, here’s how you do it:
o To increase contrast, make single presses of the Function button.
o To decrease contrast, make single presses of the Function button until the bar goes all the way to the right and then cycles back to the left side of the bar.
When the contrast is set the way you want it, press and hold down the Function button until the display changes to Time mode.