Buddy 170i won't start in cold

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Atony

Buddy 170i won't start in cold

Post by Atony »

Hey everyone. I have a new Buddy 170 (around 600 miles so far), but this is its first winter and I am finding it won't start in the morning when the temperature is down in the 20s.

Is there anything I can do about this? The bike doesn't even have a kickstarter. It starts fine once it gets warmer.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

If the battery is strong and it hasn't been sitting for a very long time (>4 months), it should fire up.
Is the started spinning the engine well?
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Atony

Post by Atony »

It hasn't been sitting, I'm still currently driving it. I just have to wait til it warms up to be able to turn it on.

Not sure if the battery is strong, you think I might need a new one?

And the engine can turn, but it won't start. I am assuming it is the cold, since both mornings this week it was quite cold when it wouldn't. And then later that afternoon it would start.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

How often do you use a trickle charger?

The Buddy doesn't have a very robust charging system. So periodically using a trickle charger helps keep the battery in good shape.
Atony

Post by Atony »

I brought it into the dealer and yes they think it is a battery issue and that I need to make use of a battery tender so I don't have this issue.

If you don't make sure to do long trips battery suffers, and you need a strong battery in cold weather is their take.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Due to the anti-theft feature in the 170's ignition, if the voltage drops below 12v when cranking, the computer will think it's trying to be hotwired and not let the engine start. It'll crank over fine but not start.

Keep your tender plugged in and it should be fine. If the cold continues to be a problem, have your shop trim the battery cover and install the slightly larger 9-BS battery.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

12v? That doesn't seem right. A fully charged battery is 12.7 volts and it will dip to maybe 11 or 10 normally if it's warm. If the battery has been sitting out in the cold it may drop lower. I have a brand new battery and it drops to 8 in freezing temperatures. I started bringing my battery in the house during the winter so it's warm when I plug it in. These fuel-injectors apparently take a lot of juice to fire up.

Definitely load test that battery if you have a multimeter. I've gotten stranded twice. Thankfully I was at my parents' house both times. The last time I was changing the oil over there and started the engine multiple times for a couple of seconds. By the time the cold set in, the battery voltage was dropping to 5v and the engine light was coming on. I finally had to jump start the scooter just so I could get home and went out and got a new battery the next day.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I have been having the same issue with my 2012 170i. My battery is a 1 year and 8 months old name brand up-sized 9-BS. With no load it reads 12.5 volts. It always sounds like its cranking over fine but fuel pressure seems to be lacking, through trial and error I find that if the voltage while cranking drops much below 9.5V it won't start. Consistantly it will start with 9.5V but at 8.5V it consistantly won't. My testing has been done between 20F and 40 degrees F.

My dealer recommended either replacing the battery or using a battery charger/tender before riding in the cold. I have been using the second option and while a bit inconvenient if has been working.

Interestingly, this is the first time in my 5 years of ownership I have had trouble. At first I thought it was related to the miles getting higher on the scooter (26,000+) but I guess not. If there is enough battery power my 170 will start right up with temps in the teens. I have a little trouble working up enthusiasm to ride at that point, but the Buddy will go.
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I have been having the same issue with my 2012 170i. My battery is a 1 year and 8 months old name brand up-sized 9-BS. With no load it reads 12.5 volts. It always sounds like its cranking over fine but fuel pressure seems to be lacking, through trial and error I find that if the voltage while cranking drops much below 9.5V it won't start. Consistantly it will start with 9.5V but at 8.5V it consistantly won't. My testing has been done between 20F and 40 degrees F.

My dealer recommended either replacing the battery or using a battery charger/tender before riding in the cold. I have been using the second option and while a bit inconvenient if has been working.

Interestingly, this is the first time in my 5 years of ownership I have had trouble. At first I thought it was related to the miles getting higher on the scooter (26,000+) but I guess not. If there is enough battery power my 170 will start right up with temps in the teens. I have a little trouble working up enthusiasm to ride at that point, but the Buddy will go.
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

12.5 volts isn't that great. Basically, when fully charged, your battery is only holding 70%.

According to this chart (https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/mainten ... yChart.gif), your battery is finished if it gets to 12.45v. I would replace it now and save yourself more trouble.

My new battery is like 12.78v which is 95-100%.

I take my battery out of my scooter if it falls below freezing. Maybe just me, but I believe that shortens the life. My last battery only lasted a little under 2 years. I heard the 170 fuel-injections system is notoriously brutal on such small batteries.