Buddy 150 Variator Rollers/Roller Plate @ 29k Miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EricV

Buddy 150 Variator Rollers/Roller Plate @ 29k Miles

Post by EricV »

I bought my Buddy 150 with a touch over 26k miles. The scooter mechanic that sold it to me was not very detail oriented. He just did the minimum to get it going and put it up for sale.

So, initial work was just putting it back to stock and doing fluids and repairs, replacing missing fasteners, etc.

Now 3k later, I started picking up a cyclic vibration. My first suspect was the belt, having no idea when it was last changed. I ordered a belt and some Mr. Pulley 11g sliders, figuring those were also due.

Getting the nuts loose was a real chore involving heat and impact wrench, but eventually achieving success.

Here is what I found, (I suspect the rollers had never been replaced):
Roller Plate:
Variator Plate showing the scoring at the roller area.
Really only two badly scored, but I figured polishing them out wouldn't do much with the roller plate so badly worn. The entire assembly with some 13g rollers was $16 and change with free shipping. No "race" upgrades for me, thank you.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Did you giant 20 mph on the top end with the new parts?
EricV

Post by EricV »

DeeDee wrote:Did you get 20 mph on the top end with the new parts?
I hope!! :D. Still waiting for the parts. Just ordered them yesterday.

I did notice the top speed dropped a few mph in the last week. It had been 58 actual. It would be nice to see 65 after the repairs, but I don't know if that is realistic.

I pulled the rear clutch too, but it looks good. One bearing is noisy. I'll see about replacing it, or if greasing helps.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That looks pretty bad. I would highly recommend replacing the entire variator because all those gouges in the plates will destroy your new rollers.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
EricV

Post by EricV »

babblefish wrote:That looks pretty bad. I would highly recommend replacing the entire variator because all those gouges in the plates will destroy your new rollers.
Agreed, that's why I ordered the entire assembly of variator, roller plate, bushing, rollers, etc. I'll probably use the Mr. Pulley sliders instead of the rollers coming with the kit. for the cost, it's not worth taking the chance or just wearing out roller/sliders more often by trying to save a couple of bucks.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

EricV wrote:Agreed, that's why I ordered the entire assembly of variator, roller plate, bushing, rollers, etc. I'll probably use the Mr. Pulley sliders instead of the rollers coming with the kit.
EricV wrote: I ordered a belt and some Mr. Pulley 11g sliders, figuring those were also due. The entire assembly with some 13g rollers was $16 and change with free shipping.
That's a great price on the variator and roller plate assembly!
Is that the normal price everywhere or did you find it someplace special?
EricV wrote:No "race" upgrades for me, thank you.
The stock Buddy variator components are quality parts. If anything I've heard varying reports on the advantages of switching to aftermarket variators.

I have sliders rather than rollers in my variator, but I am using the stock Buddy assembly itself.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
EricV

Post by EricV »

Christophers wrote:
EricV wrote: I ordered a belt and some Mr. Pulley 11g sliders, figuring those were also due. The entire assembly with some 13g rollers was $16 and change with free shipping.
That's a great price on the variator and roller plate assembly!
Is that the normal price everywhere or did you find it someplace special?
I've been very happy when ordering specific Buddy parts from Powersports Outlet in Prescott, AZ They stock a lot and ship promptly at reasonable prices, usually. :) You know how it goes, the more you order the better the shipping. They have a lot more than they show on their web site.
http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/parts/buddy.html

But for generic GY6 parts I've just gone to ebay for lower prices. I found the Variator kit, actually $15.12 from a CA vendor here:
http://www.epfguzzi.com/scooterpunks/parts/buddy.html

I haven't tried The Scooter Lounge in Provo, UT as yet. Also fairly close to me. Zero scooter shops local to me in St George, UT area. Have to go to Vegas. Even then, not always what I needed on hand, so ended up internet ordering things.
EricV

Post by EricV »

Just an update, got the new parts and installed them with the Mr. Pulley sliders w/o issues. Removed the clutch unit to check things out there, again with difficulty and heat required on the outer nut.

Found the bearings on the inner clutch pulley. Took a bit of Youtube watching to learn how to take it apart and when I did I noted some minor damage to the belt faces as well as the bad bearings. The rest of it looked fine w/o damage or warping. Ordered a new ceramic 6902 sealed bearing, ($15), and a new HK202918RS Needle bearing, ($8) and just in case a spare entire clutch unit assembly, ($30).

I was able to drift out the old bearings w/o buying any new tools. (Yeah!) And clean things up today. Now waiting for parts again. Finding time to work on the scooter with all the rest of what's going on lately has been difficult. I'm sooo missing the scooter rides though. Hopefully I can get things back together by the 22nd and be back on the road.
BigShark

Post by BigShark »

I have an '16 Hooligan with 4K miles. I am noticing a slight squeal
when I take off from low speeds. I think it may be the belt or something, but I don't know anything about his the CVT works, or how to upgrade it. I did notice that Scooterworks provides a transmission upgrade. Does anyone have recommendations on this kit or another I should consider?

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Super- ... P1325.aspx
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 4k you are unlikely to need a new belt or Variator parts. Do you ever use your throttle as a brake on an incline. Give it gas to keep the scooter in one place. You might have glazed clutch pads. Easy to clean. Use brake cleaner on the bell and 100 grit sandpaper on the pads.
EricV

Final Update

Post by EricV »

I ended up putting the full replacement unit in since it arrived before the new needle bearing. The old parts went back together w/o issues and I have them as a spare. The eBay cheap clutch parts work great w/o any noticeable issues. I suspect I have a 1500 rpm spring in the original piece, (upgraded by a previous owner), and the replacement has a 2k spring, but no significant difference.

Nice to be back on the road again. :D