2003 My BuBu What to do with it????

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

metty

2003 My BuBu What to do with it????

Post by metty »

My wifes My BuBu is done. It has bad crankshaft bearings. Trying to figure out what to do with it. Taking up precious garage space. LOL Any interest in parts here on forum?
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

why not fix it?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Are you wanting to sell it? Scooterworld could probably fix it for Around $600-700.
metty

Post by metty »

Scooterworld could even diagnose the problem with it and charged me 200 to adj valves and look over it for the issue I described to them. So I will not be going back there. I told them it did not sound right.. Yes I would sell it complete. I purchased another scoot for wife from an individual.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

bury it
Riding is riding
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I must admit, I've never considered a set of bad crankshaft bearings to be something to write off a bike over. Does everything else work OK?

I also didn't realize that the Bubu was sold in the US prior to the Genuine Buddy. It's kind of a cool thing to have a pre-Buddy, especially once the design achieves "modern classic" status.

I'd offer to tear down the motor and rebuild it if I wasn't so dang far away.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Syd

Post by Syd »

2003? Does it have the My BuBu logo on it? How many miles on it?

Oh, without pictures I don't believe it. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Yes! Pictures. It will be neat for the rest of us to see one...and may generate some more interest for it as well. :wink:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
metty

Post by metty »

[Image/img]

[/img]

It has around 11k km
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Dang! Awesome color scheme and seat! You need to fix that thing.
I think someone will buy it if you don't, though.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for the Pics metty. How did it make its way to the States, I wonder?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Well you can look at it a couple of ways.

One you could sell it as non running...not going to get much for that
Two..you could have it repaired... as Az said...crank bearings aren't a killer.
Three...since you consider it toasted take the oportunity to fix it yourself...good learing experience and for some sick people :P ...fun!
Four...transplant a motor from a wrecked Buddy into it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
metty

Post by metty »

Back around 03 a scooter store in my metro area sold the PGO line for a couple years. I also purchased a Big Max from him as well as the BUBU. I remember seeing a lot of Big Maxes running around town here back then. He also carried the T Max or T Rex I think it was called that was a 150cc. A guy in my neighborhood had one. The dealer that sold these bikes to me says he was part of the reason that the Genuine Scooter Company owner choose this brand to import and partner with.. He had told the owner about the Pgo lineup that he was carrying and they were great quailty machines. You all are making me think I should rebuild this as it was the bike that caused the whole craze of the Buddy era. Anyone near me that could share or help with some knowledge on how to do this fix? Thanks, Metty
Or make me an offer I can't refuse. HEHE
Bike was in great shape before this took place. I have always done routine maint. A few scratches but thats it. I think the crazy heat last summer killed it as we did some high speed running around.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

metty wrote:You all are making me think I should rebuild this as it was the bike that caused the whole craze of the Buddy era. Anyone near me that could share or help with some knowledge on how to do this fix?
az_slynch wrote:I'd offer to tear down the motor and rebuild it if I wasn't so dang far away.
Hmm... is there any chance you guys could get together on this? Ship the motor only, perhaps? Or ship the whole scooter cheap via iShip?
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

That looks great! A real collector's item!! Get it fixed or give it to me!!!
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Well, I'm in Overland Park.......what do you want for it???????? I'll come and get it and load it in my truck...as long as you still have the title and all...
send me a PM if you don't want to discuss it here....
Regards Sonny
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

JHScoot wrote:bury it
my mistake that thing is awesome :shock:
Riding is riding
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I've notified metty that after consideration i can't buy it. too many projects going on at this time, so you guys are free to take a shot. Sounds like a GREAT deal...on a Great looking Scooter.... I guess I better not make any more offers without consulting the "Boss".... LOL.... I thought I was the "king of Projects"... I guess I'm not after all, LOL
2006 Buddy 125 in ORANGE!..Sold
2007 Harley FLHX in Black Cherry!
1999 Saturn SC1...."Marvin"...Still runnin' strong
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Its only been 10 yrs. since you bought the BuBu? In another 10 it will be considered a Classic and 5 after that an Antique. Fix it up or face the 2nd guessing's that will haunt your memories for the rest of your life.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

I realize this is an old post, but what was the final outcome of this story? I have a nearly identical 2003 MyBubu 125. Mine has less than 3000 miles, and looks and runs like new.

Does anyone know what the color is called? It is sort of a copper metallic red, and I was hoping to find a top box of the same color, but think now that that is impossible. The silver color along the lower part of the scooter is probably easier to match.. I keep hoping to find a silver Soft Italia Vega top box..no luck though.. anybody have any leads on one?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Well I can tell you the rest of the story. I purchased the My bubu from metty. It was nearly mint condition. Like he said it had a pronounced knock but drove otherwise perfect. I drove to milwaukee from kansas city a few months later and picked up a wrecked 2007 italia 125 with 124 miles on it. I swapped the engine over and proceeded to have endless problems with a lean misfire. The bike was 100% stock. I upjetted the carb to a 115 from a stock 92 and still had issues with surging and misfiring. I got disgusted and let it sit over the winter in the spring I tried again and was having more problems. I then discovered the airbox cover was warped and not sealing the bottom edge. I replaced the cover and installed the stock jet and it ran perfect. I kept it for a few months and sold it to a local scooter commuter.

The back story of the engine. Curious to know the demise of the engine I pulled the stator side cover and discovered that the starter clutch had failed. The crankshaft and bearings were fine. It need a starter clutch to be 100% again. The engine was perfect inside. I still have the belt cover off that bike. It says PGO instead of genuine.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

lovemysan wrote:Well I can tell you the rest of the story. I purchased the My bubu from metty. It was nearly mint condition. Like he said it had a pronounced knock but drove otherwise perfect. I drove to milwaukee from kansas city a few months later and picked up a wrecked 2007 italia 125 with 124 miles on it. I swapped the engine over and proceeded to have endless problems with a lean misfire. The bike was 100% stock. I upjetted the carb to a 115 from a stock 92 and still had issues with surging and misfiring. I got disgusted and let it sit over the winter in the spring I tried again and was having more problems. I then discovered the airbox cover was warped and not sealing the bottom edge. I replaced the cover and installed the stock jet and it ran perfect. I kept it for a few months and sold it to a local scooter commuter.

The back story of the engine. Curious to know the demise of the engine I pulled the stator side cover and discovered that the starter clutch had failed. The crankshaft and bearings were fine. It need a starter clutch to be 100% again. The engine was perfect inside. I still have the belt cover off that bike. It says PGO instead of genuine.
These forums need a "like" button.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

lovemysan wrote: I then discovered the airbox cover was warped and not sealing the bottom edge. I replaced the cover and installed the stock jet and it ran perfect.
I ended up taking a ride on a towtruck for the same reason. After servicing, the airbox cover wasn't cinched down well and as it came loose as I rode up and away from Portland toward the coast. It died and left me stranded and the whole thing was just that bloody airbox cover. Lesson learned lo those many years ago...
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

lovemysan,
Great to get the update.. much appreciated. I agree that this needs a "like".

Here is a photo of my 2003 MyBuBu. Same color and very cherry. Not a scratch on it and it runs perfectly. The screw tab on the access cover at the bottom of the underseat storage area is broken off, so I am trying to find a new or used one, and the BuBu will be like new.

I have searched the web and still can't find the name of the color or the color code on the Bubu. I have a top box to match the one on "Pinky" (my 2006 Buddy), but I'd like to paint it to match the copper red color of the Bubu. The yellow patches in the photo are sunlight reflection. The color is actually uniform all over.

Last edited by vintagegarage on Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

vintagegarage wrote:Here is a photo of my 2003 MyBuBu.
"Like"

:)
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.