Buddy 170i Blown Engine. 4100 Miles, One Year Old

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ryanast

Buddy 170i Blown Engine. 4100 Miles, One Year Old

Post by ryanast »

Hello Buddy Community! Yesterday while riding my 170, she had a sudden loss of power, then I heard a sound like marbles rattling in a tin can followed by engine shutdown. Looked behind me and there was a trail of fluid (I believe it was gas).

She's only one year old and has 4100 miles. I've been taking her for service at the recommended intervals to the dealership where I bought her.

The major bummer is that the dealership is closed until after the new year and they are the only Genuine Authorized repair shop in all of Los Angeles (or at leas in free towing range).

I brought her to my local scooter / motorcycle repair shop for diagnosis and they said :"the connecting rod broke thru the engine case causing engine damage. Engine ruined"

Wondering if anyone else has had issue? Also has anyone had luck in getting Genuine to authorize a 3rd party repair shop do perform work? I'd rather not have to wait until who knows when the dealership is open again...

Thanks!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I can't imagine that Genuine would approve a warranty repair by an independent shop if there is a Genuine authorized dealer and repair facility in your area.
Christophers

Re: Buddy 170i Blown Engine. 4100 Miles, One Year Old

Post by Christophers »

ryanast wrote:The major bummer is that the dealership is closed until after the new year and they are the only Genuine Authorized repair shop in all of Los Angeles (or at leas in free towing range).
The 'free towing range' sounds like that's the issue. There are at least three authorized Genuine dealers in the L.A. area, four if you include Orange County.

Definitely sounds like a warranty issue, though. Yours is the first I've ever heard of where the connecting rod busted through the engine case.
Last edited by Christophers on Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Something is very fishy here. Buddy engines are very robust and rods don't simply fail. Every one that's shown up here on the forum has failed due to issues not related to quality. Out of oil?
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Wow, that sucks. I've never heard of this happening on a Buddy, but have heard of this happening on a Blur 150. Back in 2009 or so forum member "bluelightning" reported blowing the engine in his 2006 Blur 150 in the exact same manner. You can see pictures here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... blur+motor and here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166719.

Hope Genuine honors their warranty and fixes the engine for you.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

With in free towing distance? If the engine died then FIND a way to get it to a shop! Friend with a pick-up truck? Minivan? Know a lawn care guy with a trailer? Crank failing is a new one to me, so you have to get it to Genuine dealer so we know what is really going on and if its covered.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ryanast wrote:Looked behind me and there was a trail of fluid (I believe it was gas).
As our resident Safety Maven, I can tell you that was definitely not gas trailing behind your scooter, it was oil, so you are extremely lucky you didn't also take a spill. I've been on a motorcycle (KZ400 - brittle top end) which threw a rod and it's no picnic under the best of circumstances.

That being said, I also can't recall a Buddy motor throwing a rod. Stuff happens, but I'm with the others in wanting to know if that was a fluke or what. I hope Genuine takes care of you but the others are correct in saying that you really need to bring it to a Genuine Dealer if at all possible. You might want to give Genuine a call and talk to them (politely, please) and get them engaged early in the process of helping them to help you.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ryanast wrote:Hello Buddy Community! Yesterday while riding my 170, she had a sudden loss of power, then I heard a sound like marbles rattling in a tin can followed by engine shutdown. Looked behind me and there was a trail of fluid (I believe it was gas).

She's only one year old and has 4100 miles. I've been taking her for service at the recommended intervals to the dealership where I bought her.

The major bummer is that the dealership is closed until after the new year and they are the only Genuine Authorized repair shop in all of Los Angeles (or at leas in free towing range).

I brought her to my local scooter / motorcycle repair shop for diagnosis and they said :"the connecting rod broke thru the engine case causing engine damage. Engine ruined"

Wondering if anyone else has had issue? Also has anyone had luck in getting Genuine to authorize a 3rd party repair shop do perform work? I'd rather not have to wait until who knows when the dealership is open again...

Thanks!
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. The only way you're going to get this properly resolved is to get the scooter back to your Genuine dealership, preferably where you bought the scooter, and have them trouble-shoot the problem. They'll have your service records and they've done the servicing so they'll know without a doubt that you've maintained it properly. You were able to get the scoot into an independent repair shop so you should be able to get it back into your Genuine dealer's shop. To get a proper resolution you need to be patient and work with Genuine. I know, it sucks to be without a ride but it's a 3 day weekend coming up so use some patience and wait for Tuesday when things open up and business is back to normal. Good luck!

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Thanks for all the replies! I'm currently trying to get her towed to the dealership in downtown LA.

@GregsBuddy - Yeah everyone I've told about it has been very surprised. There is oil in the engine. We pulled the dip stick and it appears to be full. I had just had it changed at the dealership a week prior to the incident.

@jrsjr: Thankfully I was not going very fast when it happened (maybe 25MPH). She never got squirrelly and I was able to pull off to the side of the road immediately. I couldn't find a contact number for Genuine on their website. Do you have a # or an email address of someone I can contact there?

I'll update when I get her to the dealership. Appreciate all the conversation!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ryanast wrote: I couldn't find a contact number for Genuine on their website. Do you have a # or an email address of someone I can contact there?
email - info@genuinescooters.com
phone - (415)-558-9854 [correction - try (773)-271-8514]
Last edited by Dooglas on Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Dooglas wrote:
ryanast wrote: I couldn't find a contact number for Genuine on their website. Do you have a # or an email address of someone I can contact there?
phone - (415)-558-9854
Thank you!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Dooglas wrote:
phone - (415)-558-9854
A phone number for San Francisco Scooter Center??
Why not just suggest calling one of the local Genuine dealers rather than one in San Francisco?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Christophers wrote:A phone number for San Francisco Scooter Center??
Why not just suggest calling one of the local Genuine dealers rather than one in San Francisco?
That one came up in a google search linked to the Genuine Scooters Chicago address. Here is the number that Bloomberg offers (at least it is a Chicago area code :wink: ). If you have a better one, offer it up.

telephone - 773-271-8514

(and BTW, I did dial this one and it seems to be a valid Genuine number) I do have to add that my own experience is that warranty claims are best worked thru a helpful local dealer rather than thru a company's main headquarters. That is likely as true of General Motors as it is the Genuine Scooter Company.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Thanks for the help and research in to contact information.

She's at the dealership right now getting looked at. They promised an update this afternoon. I'll follow up here.

FWIW, I reached out to genuine via twitter and sent them an email. They have not responded yet.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

The shop will contact Genuine direct if its considered a warranty claim. I had a motor go boom 2 days before the 2 year warranty expired (covered in a OLD thread) and Genuine was more than great at making it right. Everyone is curious as to what failed, and how it gets handles. I think all will be fine.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

The shop just confirmed that the crank shaft failed.

They have submitted a request for warranty replacement with Genuine.

They said it could take up to 3 days for Genuine to give them approval (I hope not...)

I would like to get her back as soon as possible - my wallet can't take Uber-ing everywhere for much longer.

Stay tuned...
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Crankshaft failure. That makes more sense than rod failure. All it takes is an undersize chamfer on the power output or rod shaft to create a huge stress riser and short life.
I now have 9,500 miles on my '15, 170i. My scoot' is ridden at 45-60 MPH (indicated) most of the time and I don't have any problems with WOT when climbing hills in 100F weather and the occasional highway blast for a few miles at WOT and 65-70 MPH (indicated). The thing is so solid...
I'm very curious to hear the outcome of this misadventure and hope all works out well for you.
Last edited by GregsBuddy on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Wow, those are way harsher conditions then I put her through.

I got WOT often, but not for extended periods of time (15-20 seconds to get away from traffic).

Most of my riding is in the sub 45 MPH range in Los Angeles (we did have a hot summer).

Never been on the freeway with her. Never been above 60 MPH.

Strange.

I understand flukes happen, but she may be a candidate for craigslist after the repairs. Bummed out.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Negotiate a replacement scoot' or at least a complete drive system. The failure could have damaged the crankcase which in this case IS the drive system. Case damage would be enough to demand replacement of the entire drive system. Don't be bummed about Buddy scooters but I can't blame you for not wanting to keep a scoot' that has been heavily worked on by local scoot' mechanics unless they replace the drive system entirely which would not cause great concern for me, at least. I wouldn't want to depend upon a repaired engine with replacement parts and potential for mismatching and mechanic errors. I'd do the repairs myself before trusting someone else, and I'm not a red-hot mechanic.
Others on this forum may suggest a different approach...
EricV

Post by EricV »

Don't give up on your Buddy. It will likely be an even better motor after the repairs. Because the shop spent special time and attention when repairing it, rather than the assembly line guys that built it, and who knows how many others that same day in China.

My wife's BMW motorcycle burned up an engine. The local dealer had to order cases from Germany and build a new motor from scratch because BMW didn't have a crate motor available. The new motor the shop built was ten times better than the original factory motor and that bike never had another problem with it, despite having a dozen major issues with the original engine.

Best of luck getting your Buddy back soon and it being trouble free when you do.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ryanast wrote:I understand flukes happen, but she may be a candidate for craigslist after the repairs. Bummed out.
Why? Our assumption is that Genuine will replace the engine, meaning you will have essentially a new scoot. Keep it and enjoy it.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Being dramatic, I suppose. It's a lonely feeling when you're stuck on the side of the road.

Hoping for a positive repair experience.

Thanks again everyone for the conversation.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

EricV wrote:My wife's BMW motorcycle burned up an engine.
I'm sure it happens more than most people realize, but I thought it was a coincidence when I read this and one of our local scooter group members experienced something similar with his brand new BMW C 650 GT!

Regarding the OP's issue - Genuine should fix it! It's very rare that a Buddy fails this dramatically (so rare that I have never heard of it happening before). And you will basically have a new scooter once the repairs are done.

Maybe you could enquire about a loaner scooter while the repairs are being made???
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Genuine wanted to see the damaged warranty motor for themselves in Taiwan BEFORE sending a replacement. The shop owner pulled a super low miles motor out of the shop Buddy 125 and put it in my Buddy until the new motor arrived. I ended up just keeping the low miles motor since it was already broken in and ran perfect, and they got the new crate motor. No cost at all to me, all covered by Genuine and the shop. Also, most shops that will offer a loaner will have a 50cc.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I would much rather have a factory assembled engine than a shop assembled engine. The factory floor is clean and people are focused and trained. All new parts assembled in a proper worksite.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

They don't have a loaner available.
Said the whole process could take up to two weeks.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ryanast wrote:They don't have a loaner available.
Ouch! I know you're not happy to hear that, but in the scooter world, that is actually fairly prompt service. I just wish they had a loaner for you. That would really help, but I also understand that there isn't a lot of profit in scooters like there is in, say, Mercedes Benz automobiles, where a loaner would be an expectation.

Sorry for all your troubles. I hope this all gets straightened out ASAP.
EricV

Post by EricV »

I feel your pain. BTDT for a month, long ago. Bus Pass is your friend. Yeah, it takes more time, but it gets the job done for a heck of a lot less than Uber or Lyft!!

Log on to the transit system and see what it will take for routes to go where you need to go. I hope you can get away with minimal or no transfers. After that, you just have to suck it up and deal until the scooter is fixed. Who knows, you might make some new friends. :D
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Appreciate the advise, thanks!

Fortunately, I live only 8 miles from work, so I've been biking / getting rides from the wife / borrowing cars / etc :-)

EricV wrote:
I feel your pain. BTDT for a month, long ago. Bus Pass is your friend. Yeah, it takes more time, but it gets the job done for a heck of a lot less than Uber or Lyft!!

Log on to the transit system and see what it will take for routes to go where you need to go. I hope you can get away with minimal or no transfers. After that, you just have to suck it up and deal until the scooter is fixed. Who knows, you might make some new friends. :D
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Good news update: The new engine is on the way to the DTLA dealership. Hoping to have her back by next Wednesday.

100% covered under the warranty.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Great warranty coverage news!
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

What was the final diagnosis?
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Got her back! Feels good - taking her through the 500 mile break in period.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and general concern.

Glad to be back on the road!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Good news! Might they let you know the reason the first one failed (other than the engine blew up)?
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

They told me the connecting rod broke lose from the crankshaft and that caused the rod to puncture the engine casing.

I don't know if that makes sense, it's what they told me. I'm not a gear head, sorry :-)

The crazy restrictions on image posting here is making it difficult to show you guys the picture I took of the blown engine.

I'll keep trying and post here when I succeed.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ryanast wrote:They told me the connecting rod broke lose from the crankshaft and that caused the rod to puncture the engine casing.

I don't know if that makes sense, it's what they told me. I'm not a gear head, sorry :-)

The crazy restrictions on image posting here is making it difficult to show you guys the picture I took of the blown engine.

I'll keep trying and post here when I succeed.
The big end bearing of the connecting rod in my 2006 Blur seized up on the crank and locked the engine up but luckily it didn't break so I was able to reuse the crankcase for my rebuild.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ryanast wrote:The crazy restrictions on image posting here is making it difficult to show you guys the picture I took of the blown engine.
I don't know about crazy, but it is true that you can't post really large photo files. Use one of the common image resizers and then posting will work.
ryanast

Post by ryanast »

Dooglas wrote:
ryanast wrote:The crazy restrictions on image posting here is making it difficult to show you guys the picture I took of the blown engine.
I don't know about crazy, but it is true that you can't post really large photo files. Use one of the common image resizers and then posting will work.
800 x 800 max 200kb is crazy in 2018.

However, I was able to resize the photo (thanks to Dooglas's tip). Here it is:
Attachments
Buddy 170i Engine.jpg
Buddy 170i Engine.jpg (179.84 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Eh, a little JB Weld here and there and it should be good as new. Haha, JK!
Wow, the CR really did a number on your crankcase.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Do you have any pictures of the crank, rod, etc.?
Syd

Post by Syd »

That'll buff out. :D