2016 Genuine Buddy 170i vs 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Simo4181

2016 Genuine Buddy 170i vs 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i

Post by Simo4181 »

Hi friends! I am hoping to purchase my first scooter and have the option to get the 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i for $200 less than the 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i. Are there any differences between the two? Is there anything I should be concerned about between the models?

Thanks for any help! Chris

PS...if I can provide any more information, just let me know!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I believe they are identical. If you get a full new scooter warranty with the 2016, I'd save yourself two hundred bucks.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dooglas wrote:I believe they are identical. If you get a full new scooter warranty with the 2016, I'd save yourself two hundred bucks.
And spend it on gear.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Re: 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i vs 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i

Post by skipper20 »

Simo4181 wrote:Hi friends! I am hoping to purchase my first scooter and have the option to get the 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i for $200 less than the 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i. Are there any differences between the two? Is there anything I should be concerned about between the models?

Thanks for any help! Chris

PS...if I can provide any more information, just let me know!
I'm sure they're the same so save yourself $200 and go for the 2016. But, if you're not a gear head and you don't do your own maintenance, be concerned about the stability of your Genuine dealership. Greater Seattle, where I'm from, has gone from 6 Genuine dealerships in the past 5 years to 2 and one of them, Burton Motorsports, is a long ferry boat ride away. I winter in Tucson, AZ and southern AZ's only Genuine dealership, Scoot-Over, folded in December. So, be thinking about whether or not you should even be buying a Buddy scooter especially if you're going to be relying on a brick and mortar dealership for parts and service support.

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan (AZ scoot)
Dooglas

Re: 2016 Genuine Buddy 170i vs 2017 Genuine Buddy 170i

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote:I'm sure they're the same so save yourself $200 and go for the 2016. But, if you're not a gear head and you don't do your own maintenance, be concerned about the stability of your Genuine dealership. Greater Seattle, where I'm from, has gone from 6 Genuine dealerships in the past 5 years to 2 and one of them, Burton Motorsports, is a long ferry boat ride away. I winter in Tucson, AZ and southern AZ's only Genuine dealership, Scoot-Over, folded in December. So, be thinking about whether or not you should even be buying a Buddy scooter especially if you're going to be relying on a brick and mortar dealership for parts and service support.
In fairness, this loss of dealerships has been going on for virtually all brands. Portland has gone from 3 Vespa dealers to one. The Salem Vespa dealer closed several years ago and the Eugene Vespa dealer folded recently. Around Portland, we lost a Kymco dealer, one of our BMW dealers, and one of our Yamaha/Suzuki dealers. Seattle's only Vespa franchise just moved from one company to another. I don't believe anyone should avoid Buddys, in particular, due to this problem, though it is a good argument to learn to do more of your own maintenance work. :wink:
Simo4181

Post by Simo4181 »

Thanks everyone. Buying the 2016 170i tomorrow! Thanks for the help!

Chris
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Pictures please! :)