New to Scootering - Dealer Fees?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootingsquirrel

New to Scootering - Dealer Fees?

Post by scootingsquirrel »

So I've decided to trade my BMW Z4 Convertible Roadster for a Cream 07 Buddy 125. I'm super excited!

My local dealer in Orange County doesn't have any Buddys in Cream, so I have to go to a dealer in San Diego. They had it advertised for $2200, but then I was told that with fees it would cost me about $2800.

I was wondering, in California, what are typical fees I can expect, and what's reasonable? An extra 25+% over the advertised price was more than I anticipated. :(
Wiggins

Post by Wiggins »

Was $2800 the out the door price on the bike, or just the Buddy and set-up? Set-up fees are common. At the dealer I bought my Buddy at the freight and set-up fees were $300 (I got them to knock $75 off of that).

$600 sounds pretty steep if it is just for set-up, but if that price is the out the door price (meaning the cost of the bike, set-up, licensing, and tax) then it sounds about right.

Kyle
scootingsquirrel

Post by scootingsquirrel »

That was the out-the-door price, including sales tax and all. Thanks for the clarification!
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

This is a 125cc right? Each state has different fees when it comes to title etc. I paid in the 2800's out the door with setup tax and title.
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Thats about what I paid too. sounds about right for a 125. It should include all the setup fees and dmv paperwork.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

My Italia was about 3100 bucks OTD, Pensacola has like the highest sales tax ever (7.5%). I got a sweet lock too, if you want a friggin hardcore lock that is so thick you can only chain through the front forks or (barely) the rear grab bar check out the OnGuard Rottweiler. It's basically 100% un-cuttable & un-pickable. I got it from Solano Cycle for $30, which is a great deal... they will sell it to anyone for that price, not just if you buy other stuff from them cuz they carry them in stock and get them direct from the manufacturer. It squeezes right into the under-seat storage.

http://media.rei.com/media/232433.jpg

I comes with 5 keys (one of them has a little LED in it), and it has a key code so if you loose all 5, you can call them with your code & they will send you replacements! SCORE!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Tax, title, prep.

2800 is a reasonable price out the door, but my father owns a creme 07 buddy and he got his for like 2700 out the door.

Your dealer may charge a bit for prep, a bike sitting for months untouched needs to be cleaned internally and checked here and there. My dealer didnt charge a penny since he said "it only takes a few hours to do, not much to charge if I would"

But for a 2007 buddy, out the door, I'd jump to it. All dealers are different, and the price is nice.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Most dealers will also throw in a helmet. If they didn't already offer, I'm sure you could wheel and deal one into the purchase.
For comparison, I paid $2200 out the door for a 50cc Ratttler. $600 more for a 125cc Bud sounds about right.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Yup, sounds about right. I think I paid $3200 for my Italia after it was all said and done.
shark

Post by shark »

jmazza wrote:Yup, sounds about right. I think I paid $3200 for my Italia after it was all said and done.
Ditto
tiltyourhead

Wheel and Deal

Post by tiltyourhead »

That price doesn't sound horrible, however I'm sure you could get a better deal. If you're okay with that price see if the dealer will include a helmet and lock. Also, see if the first service is included.

I just bought a new 2006 Buddy 125. The price was $2000 and I paid $2340 out the door. This price included my helmet and also my first seceduled service is included in this price.

Hope this helps!
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

Seems like the Genuine dealers generally throw in a helmet or something with the sale, which is very cool. If you get something extra from a Vespa dealer you're lucky, it's the exception, not the rule. I know this is a broad generalization but it's just been my observation over the last couple of years.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GaryEPSP wrote:Seems like the Genuine dealers generally throw in a helmet or something with the sale, which is very cool. If you get something extra from a Vespa dealer you're lucky, it's the exception, not the rule. I know this is a broad generalization but it's just been my observation over the last couple of years.
A VERY broad generalization. :)

It's all up to the dealer, but buyers shouldn't be expecting a freebie or a deal.

I recently went to a Mini Cooper dealer here in L.A. and was told that, basically, they don't make deals or markdown their cars. Ever. At all. Because they have a line of people waiting to buy them and they fly out of the dealership at well over MSRP (due to all the ridiculous fees and charges they tack on).

Unlike car dealers, scooter dealers don't have a huge markup (please let's not argue this again); any extras tossed in is at their expense and is just icing on the cake.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

ericalm wrote:
GaryEPSP wrote:Seems like the Genuine dealers generally throw in a helmet or something with the sale, which is very cool. If you get something extra from a Vespa dealer you're lucky, it's the exception, not the rule. I know this is a broad generalization but it's just been my observation over the last couple of years.

It's all up to the dealer, but buyers shouldn't be expecting a freebie or a deal.

I recently went to a Mini Cooper dealer here in L.A. and was told that, basically, they don't make deals or markdown their cars. Ever. At all. Because they have a line of people waiting to buy them and they fly out of the dealership at well over MSRP (due to all the ridiculous fees and charges they tack on).

Unlike car dealers, scooter dealers don't have a huge markup (please let's not argue this again); any extras tossed in is at their expense and is just icing on the cake.
I didn't expect anything when I bought my scooters, two Hondas and two Vespas in one year, I spent over 15K and paid with $100 bills. I got a free t-shirt. I'm fine with that. I hear the same story from other people. Just saying, I almost never hear of a Genuine dealer that doesn't throw something in. Usually a safety item. :D
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I didn't get anything free when I bought my Buddy! Well... my dealer does the first service free, so that is definitely something (I've seen some of the first service prices and they can be high!).

However, the other scoot I was looking at was an Aprilia Mojito at a Vespa dealer, and I would have gotten $200 in accessories of my choice had I bought it. The deal was only on that scoot, I think because they have been discontinued again, but the price wasn't discounted at all and so the $200 was not really a deal.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

Good deal on the first service! I suppose it's like anything else, just depends on the dealer and what kind of profit margin they can live with.
golfinguy

Post by golfinguy »

ericalm wrote:

And when you wait for the new convertible S to come out the line up will just be that much shorter ;o) We need to go car shopping together!
From our wonderful Buddy 50 service manual:
ass’ part loose
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

golfinguy wrote:
ericalm wrote:

And when you wait for the new convertible S to come out the line up will just be that much shorter ;o) We need to go car shopping together!
Ha... Maybe. They add a $3,000 "location fee" for Minis sold in CA because they're so popular here. They literally can't keep them on the lot. Imagine if there were some kind of arbitrary geographic premium on scooters. A Buddy in L.A. would be $3500. At least!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Your dealer probably over charges for prep or some other setup fees, 2600 out the door would sound nicer, but 2800 is reasonable and still in the 'Good deal' range.