STARTER NOISE "aRUgah!!"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MikeR

STARTER NOISE "aRUgah!!"

Post by MikeR »

Whether with a cold or warm engine, sitting on a level surface, sometimes when I attempt to start my 3-week-old Buddy 50, pressing the starter button, I get an "aRUgah!" sound - just like an old horn. After a couple more tries of starting, the bike will start.

What the heck is that??????????

Many thanks, folks!!
Clydeo

Noise

Post by Clydeo »

It’s normal. At least I hope it is! My Buddy 50 has been making that same sound on occasion for three years! It’s been discussed here before. I forget what causes it, but it’s nothing to be concerned about.
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

Thanks, Clydeo, what you said was reassuring.

I "searched" for it but it didn't pop up, so whatever folks said in the past about it's cause, wasn't searchable.

I'd still like to know what's going on, so hopefully someone who has the answer will show up and explain it, hopefully in non-techy, toddler terms*.

* Well, I figure I must be regressing, since decades ago I had a Honda and Kawasaki motorcycle, now a motor scooter, so a toddler-level explanation might be in order ; )
Clydeo

Starter noise

Post by Clydeo »

I am going to drop some paper work off at Carlisle Cycle and Scooter, and I will ask Bill Viney. He knows everything there is to know about Scooters!

I don’t think you are regressing. I ride everything. I enjoy motorcycles AND scooters. They are being th great. I am starting to plan my annual Spring trip. It’s usually a 3-4 day 500-600 mile trip. I am planning to take my Buddy 50 this year. It will be great!
MikeR

Starter noise "aRUgah!"

Post by MikeR »

I'd really appreciate that, Clydeo, as "inquiring minds want to know" ; )

Hopefully you'll post a video of your trip highlights.

Well, I've about 160 miles to go on my Buddy 50 (hears "Peter, Paul and Mary" singing "A Hundred Miles") before it'll be time to bring in my Buddy for it's first warranty servicing, at which time I'm going to inquire about where's the best place to access the yellow wire to power a couple of LED lights, one on each side of the Kangeroo pouch, as running lights. That'll bring my total of LED lights to seven, 3 of which can be recharged via USB, two of which are button cell batteries. Those are all strobe lights. The two in the front will need to be powered by the scooter, so I need to find the best access to the famous "yellow wire". The hunt is on.

Do I get extra points having digressed from the origin "subject"? Gee, that would be nice ; )

Happy Holiday to you and yours!
Mike
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Any info? I’m having the same problem.
MikeR

aRUgah

Post by MikeR »

JJScoot wrote:Any info? I’m having the same problem.
Nothing yet...hopefully soon...inquiring minds need to know

Keep watching this topic - eventually we'll get a (hopefully reliable and easy to understand for a non-techy) response.

In the meantime, throw some snowballs.
"Outside of a book, a dog is man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read".

Groucho Marx

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song".

Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong
JJScoot

Re: aRUgah

Post by JJScoot »

MikeR wrote:
JJScoot wrote:Any info? I’m having the same problem.
Nothing yet...hopefully soon...inquiring minds need to know

Keep watching this topic - eventually we'll get a (hopefully reliable and easy to understand for a non-techy) response.

In the meantime, throw some snowballs.
Lol- No snowballs in Florida!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Normal
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

dasscooter wrote:Normal
Does anyone know the cause?
Clydeo

Noise

Post by Clydeo »

I am sorry it took so long to get to you! I ended up being out of the state for a while. I spoke to the shop that works on my bike, and they explained that many, if not most, Buddies make the same noise, and that it is due to the starter (obviously). I didn’t understand most of the explanation, but the bottom line was that it was nothing to worry about. I have had my Buddy for three years, and it occasionally makes the same sound, and after thousands of miles it hasn’t caused any issues, so what he told me certainly seems true. My friends who have Buddies say that they make the same noise. I THINK that the explanation has to do with position of the piston in the cylinder when the bike is being started. I realize that my explanation is less than adequate, but evidently it just isn’t an issue.
MikeR

AhRUgah

Post by MikeR »

Thank you!
"Outside of a book, a dog is man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read".

Groucho Marx

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song".

Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong