Buddy 170i Battery Issues & Hookup Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cheyenne52883

Buddy 170i Battery Issues & Hookup Question

Post by cheyenne52883 »

Hi everyone!

I own a 2014 Genuine Buddy 170i scooter that probably 2-3 months ago I put a new battery in. It worked fine for a month or so and it got parked due to weather. I don't have access to a plug near my parking spot so I can't chaarge it and didn't intend to go that long without riding.

Tried to start it yesterday, it needed it a jump. Drove to work the long way (20 min) and parked. Left work and it wouldn't attempt to start even with a jump. After some trial and error, found the fuse in the positive battery cable blown.

Charged the battery, replaced the fuse and it cranked but wouldn't quite start. Jumped it and it started fine.

1) Any suggestions on the issue? Bad battery? Need to bring battery in and charge it on a regular basis?

2) When taking the battery out to charge it, I noticed an additional smaller gauge black/negative wire tucked away. Does this need to be hooked up? I can't find any wiring diagrams that include this wire so I don't know what to do with it...

Thanks for your help! I am not a gear head but I am just mechanically inclined enough to probably be dangerous. Lol
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It likely needs a new battery even if the one that's in there is nearly new.
Google battery test voltage levels and test the system with a volt meter.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Just Gotta Scoot tested a 170i and had some wire not attached correctly, as noted in the review. Look up the review and see if its supposed to be hooked up or not. It was a wire for re-charging the battery when riding.