Anyone out riding in this?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mukaiboston

Anyone out riding in this?

Post by mukaiboston »

For those of us who live on the eastern two-thirds of North America, this is a highly unusual period of subarctic air that is stalled over us. It has been consistently below freezing for the past two weeks in DC and the lows at night hover around -14c.

I put some seafoam in my tank and removed my battery. This is probably the longest I have not been able to ride because, in addition to dangerous cold, there is ice which will not melt until the temperatures rebound.
skipper20

Re: Anyone out riding in this?

Post by skipper20 »

mukaiboston wrote:For those of us who live on the eastern two-thirds of North America, this is a highly unusual period of subarctic air that is stalled over us. It has been consistently below freezing for the past two weeks in DC and the lows at night hover around -14c.

I put some seafoam in my tank and removed my battery. This is probably the longest I have not been able to ride because, in addition to dangerous cold, there is ice which will not melt until the temperatures rebound.
While the word "warming" hardly fits the situation you're in, global warming is causing these severe weather patterns. Hurricanes are more severe because of rising ocean temperatures. Wildfires in California will happen more often and be more deadly because of drought-related global warming. The perma frost in the far north is melting and releasing more carbon dioxide the chief cause of global warming. Ocean levels are rising. In Barron Trump's lifetime, Mar-A-Lago will be under water. And so on. It's happening. We can't ignore it. Until we make an orderly transition to a clean, renewable energy economy from a dirty fossil fuel energy economy, it's only going to get worse. Wake up America before it's too late. Please.

Bill in Seattle
charlie55

Re: Anyone out riding in this?

Post by charlie55 »

mukaiboston wrote:For those of us who live on the eastern two-thirds of North America, this is a highly unusual period of subarctic air that is stalled over us. It has been consistently below freezing for the past two weeks in DC and the lows at night hover around -14c.

I was going to venture out, but all my speedos are at the cleaners. :lol:
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

The fires in California aren't due to global warming. They're due to the overwhelming fuel load (which never existed in its natural state) that has been allowed to grow unabated.

Environmentalists have tried to control every aspect of the environment in California with disastrous results. From trying to maintain a constant salinity in the San Francisco Bay (which never existed in its natural state), to not allowing people to cut down trees and clear out the heavy underbrush (which never existed in its natural state).

We've also been so successful at fighting fires, the fuel load gets worse with each passing year. So now when a fire does start, it's almost impossible to control or fight. The firefighters and scientists have been warning the state about this compounding problem for decades, but the environmental lobby refused to let those warnings become policy (until very recently). They still won't let land owners cut down trees to protect themselves, but the government can.

These record fires are still tiny compared to evidence of prehistoric fires which have hit California. However, fires are part of the natural processes in California.

If we would let them burn out on their own and just focus on protecting dwellings or towns in the path, we'd be much better off. Because it would reduce the fuel load and eliminate the ladder fuels to the point if another fire came along, the ladder fuels and heavy load wouldn't be there to cause a massive uncontrollable burn. The fires would simply be short lived fast moving grass fires which burn out quickly with very little impact on civilization or the environment.

The reason for these record fires is misguided human intervention, not climate. Let nature do it's thing. Even the Native Americans realized that and intentionally set fires in heavy fuel load areas to bring them back to their healthy state. Those fires also benefited their agriculture and game opportunities.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

We do have a lot of fuel.
We build in areas that have much fuel.
We don't enforce proper clearance to reduce fires jumping to structures (won't help if there's high wind, however).
We are not environmental crazies. We have had plenty of environmental wins from our wisdom. With 40,000,000 people we run into environmental degradation much sooner than other states with small populations and less biodiversity. We are educated and care.
We do not know the connection between climate change and the high winds that are helping to start and spread fires this year. To simply say that climate change and current conditions are not connected is opinion.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

GregsBuddy wrote:To simply say that climate change and current conditions are not connected is opinion.
It's not opinion. It's fact.

Fuel load has nothing to do with climate change. With or without climate change, the heavy fuel load is problematic and the primary reason for the record fires.

If the environment lacked these heavy fuel loads (which is it's natural state) we wouldn't have these record fires irrespective of the climate.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I rode once in 16 F and got frostbite on my right thigh. Once was enough...
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The SIZE of the overall fires was exacerbated by very high winds which MAY be connected to climate change. Not opinion, FACT.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I JUST dug my truck out today! This snow was a shock for us in Norfolk, VA. And riding in it? NOPE! As a mater of fact I crammed the Burgman in the garage for this snow. Our roads are way to dangerous for any 2 wheeler, be it a bicycle to a motorcycle. Stay safe and warm!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

And indoors!
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I've seen a couple of motorcycles on the road. I'm talking the ice isn't even fully cleared yet it's too cold for salt to work.

I'm not sure whether to salute them or look down at them for being incredibly stupid.

It's not great for the scooter to sit for a month or so in freezing temperatures. I usually ride at least once a week in the winter.

But I'm not risking frostbite or hypothermia or sliding on ice (which I've done on a scooter before).
EricV

Post by EricV »

Ignoring the global warming people that don't really understand how trending works, when it's really cold, rubber has pretty good traction on ice. When it's 32F, things get scary.

Heated gear helps a lot, but that's hard to do on the scooter. I've ridden 2k miles in 20F temps and been fine with heated gear on a motorcycle.

I live in the desert, so it hasn't been below 35F and today's high was 50+, yesterday it hit 60F. Sorry, 330 days of sunshine a year. :)

My other property near Tupelo was a lot colder. Lows in the teens.

At the end of the day, if you're not comfortable, don't ride! If you are, venture out. Speedo optional. (just don't post pics, PLEASE).
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

I feel awful, my poor Lola hasn't even been started in like a month or more! Luckily the tank was super full when I parked her last, but more than likely the battery will be deader than a doornail (maybe irreparably so).

As soon as this nasty snow clears I'll try to start her up, maybe bring her around the back alley into the backyard and indoors.

Who needs a functioning formal dining room?
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I go in the garage, crack the garage door, turn on the shop fan blowing towards the cracked open door and start all 3. Zuma 2 stroke, Burgman 200 and Can-Am Spyder. Let all 3 idle away. I then go indoors and sit in the warmth for a few minutes. If I let any of them sit without being started they become a pain in the butt to start. Zuma is the worse, kick start comes in handy! I have ethanol free gas in the Zuma only. Burgman will get ran hard when the weather breaks and I will try to get the Spyder out also. Its almost near 0 with the windchill and the garage is idling away.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

GregsBuddy wrote:The SIZE of the overall fires was exacerbated by very high winds which MAY be connected to climate change. Not opinion, FACT.
Sorry, several of the fires had no winds of significance until the fires themselves burned so hot due to the heavy fuel load they created their own winds.

And it doesn't matter what the winds are doing with a healthy environment. How fast a grass fire moves is inconsequential when there's no problematic fuels.
vintagegarage

Still riding

Post by vintagegarage »

For the past three days here in central Florida, it has been clear, cold and windy. Nightly lows have been around 28 F and daytime highs about 50 F. I'm still riding my PGO My BuBu wearing an old pair of Sears insulated work coveralls, and a helmet with a full face shield. My face gets pretty cold.. need to add a ski mask or something under my helmet and it would be better.

One more cold day today and then next week should be back to 70 F highs and 45 F lows..
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I always take my battery out if the temps fall below freezing. Those electronic fuel injectors take a massive hit on the battery.

No doubt my battery has lost some charge sitting on the shelf in my house, but I do have a charger and will throw it on there to top it off.

My scooter has no kick start so the battery is all I have.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Hey mukaiboston, if we ride in this weather we would so win the Shrinky Dink! If we do it in our underwear we would win the following year also by default! It hit -1 windchill! Go away arctic blast, I wanna ride my Zuma!
CIDDOG124

Post by CIDDOG124 »

So new member with 2013 roughouse in ct. 8500 miles . Temps have been cold 5,15, -7 and so on. Bike starts ant runs fine but sucking up gas like crazy. Had normal consumption same route ? Noticed extra fuel leaking from botTom of carb not bowl drain hose but actual carb out the back of the air cleaner any way too resolve this . Runs fine starts fine as long as it's being ridden or idling on side stand once it's up on center will sstall . Just too cold or is the carb in need of a dust mentioned in choke or reed valves? My first two stroke. Help?
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

CIDDOG124 wrote:So new member with 2013 roughouse in ct. 8500 miles . Temps have been cold 5,15, -7 and so on. Bike starts ant runs fine but sucking up gas like crazy. Had normal consumption same route ? Noticed extra fuel leaking from botTom of carb not bowl drain hose but actual carb out the back of the air cleaner any way too resolve this . Runs fine starts fine as long as it's being ridden or idling on side stand once it's up on center will sstall . Just too cold or is the carb in need of a dust mentioned in choke or reed valves? My first two stroke. Help?
Not sure on the carb thing, but I've heard of bikes that have a cutout switch that prevents them from running while on the center stand. My kick runs fine, but your RH could be different. Unless the literal lean angle of the side stand is somehow affecting your carb?
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

In the north, we go through these long bitter cold spells every winter. 2-3 ft. of ice on our lakes.
Usually put the scooter away in Nov. and if I'm lucky will get it out in late March/April. I keep the battery indoors and charged. Drained the carb. and filled the gas tank. It works out well.
From my experience, humans are over consuming in just about every way. We buy too much. Build too big. Use too much (energy, oil, electricity, water). We plough up or pave over the land, and put nature on reservations called parks, then we get depressed because we are out of whack and disconnected from nature and wholesomeness. And we continue doing this faster and faster.
Plus, there are probably too many of us. I'm not a fan of globalization. We're like a runaway locomotive.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

CIDDOG124, it sounds like you have a float issue in the carb. Check to see if the float drain screw is snug. I had one come loose on a Hyosung, dripping fuel and stalling at idle. If that seems fine, check the fuel line and connections. Still thinking float issue. No cut out switch on a RoughHouse. Should idle fine on the center stand.

ucandoit, Sound a bit like a hippy there. Reminds me of the DRI song Give My Taxes Back. But seriously, you have a point. Unfortunately, money is more important. How many Pet Smarts, Walgreens, nail salons, mini-storages and Wal-Farts do we need? We just lost these fun bmx trails recently in a forest we never thought would get developed. Got a multi-level self storage now.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

ucandoit;
+1 on your human impact message.
CIDDOG124

Post by CIDDOG124 »

So folks here's an update on the roughhouse that was using alot more gas and leaking fuel out the bottom of the air cleaner. It's the carb orator it's shot at 8734 miles . And personal I think it's pethetic. This coming from two 2009 eton sport 50 mopeds that were both used when bought with 780 mile one one and 1190 something on the other. 1500 new when I priced them out four strokes. Ridden same route same weather conditions both had between 11,000 one first one second one had 13,700 something before selling them too various neighbours and ps there both still running and drivable. Those down falls on those were at 2500 mile they both needed a replacement throddle cable once. And the varator and rollers needed too be replaced every 2800 like clockwork. 89.00 every 2800 miles. So Hense I figured I'd try out the genuine brand. Not impressed becides the carb being shot either needing new or total rebuild the rollers and belt need replacing at there wear marks. And this is a 2400.00 scooter in ct new. Seeing the avalability of the 189.00 replacement carb online or one place has a carb rebuild kit for 69.00. Plus belt varator rollers slide boss slide fingers I call it iam realy not impressed with the quilt of this thing for the long term. With one set of tire replace and another pair due before spring three plugs set of front pads and rears in spring iam not seeing it's new off the floor value very disapointed. Won't ever be purchacing this model new for sure. As for the repair at present tank was removed cleaned as precaution new fuel filter carb dismantled and cleaned no blockages now all that was done pissing Gass out of aircleaner more than ever just sitting . Note: wheeled this thing down too the motorcycle shop too double check they took the carb off checked it and said same ththing total repuild of carb or new new would be easier but realy why would I spend the 169.00 for another 8700 miles or so too have the same ghing happen it's not an upgrade it's a replacement of the same quality. Just for shits and giggles I called the closest genuine dealer played dumb told them the prob without hesitation they said over the phone without a dought bring it in its most likely a carb issued anywhere from 300.00 too 425.00 too resolve. Reasonable but way too covenant . This 2014 roughouse is definately a dealers wet dream for the shop hours. Add too the repair of the common leaking rear gear oil seal I snuged up at 5000 so miles and iam told but haven't encountered the front oilseed prob supposively on some runs of these that comes up around 2500 miles. Think I'll Be Trying THE sym/Lance 50 Cc Scoot Next As It Appears Too Be The Closest Thing Too The 2009 Eton Sport 50's That Were Actually Sym Scooter rebagged. And seem too be upgraded too some sort of ceramic cylinder for the lance badged models. 1500 new or 700 ,800 used off our craigslist iam thinkin I should be getting atleast 10,000 miles out of lower grade mopeds these days for the prices. Just too note iam familiar with other brands I own a 2005 burgman that fine can't ride it below 35 degrees or the dam throddle cable freezes up lol which it is what it is and a 1987 honda that always starts and runs with God knows how many miles cause ether odomiter broke at like 9000 miles and he'll it's a honda when it's done it's done at that age just keep changing the oil once a month and when it blows if it ever does gas oil tires and more tires and more tires lol .
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

k1dude wrote:The fires in California aren't due to global warming. They're due to the overwhelming fuel load (which never existed in its natural state) that has been allowed to grow unabated.
The fuel load is due to dry vegetation in a low rainfall year - in this case following a couple of wet years. In a natural environment such accumulation burns periodically. If there aren't houses all over the slopes, that is not an issue. Fire suppression causes the fuel load to increase. High density human use means a lot of structures are at risk. We do it to ourselves.
CIDDOG124

Febuary in ct

Post by CIDDOG124 »

Febuary in ct. Still riding here.in between the icy days there's been a few. Even if the scoots got a sit for more than three days I add that seafoam also cause even if I run it darn near empty there's always alittle gas in the roughouse tank. Also dump what's in the carb bowl for a fresh start .Winter Gas is terrible here in ct.our -10 degree nights have finally broke thank goodness,back in the teens and twentit's bare able bundied up.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

It's 82 F and sunny here today. Going to ride the Buddy as I do every day, and follow up the ride by floating in the swimming pool while watching old episodes of the Lone Ranger TV show on the TV by the pool..