170i At 10,000 Miles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

170i At 10,000 Miles

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hi,
A brief summary of my scoot' at this juncture.
Problems:
Rear brake warped from the showroom. Attempts to get dealer to address the problem failed. Still riding with the "lumpy" braking condition. No other problems.
Upgrades/Changes:
YSS rear damper
NCY forks
NCY rotor, pads, braided brake line
LED headlight
LED running lights replaced Euro indicator lights
Removed side stand for safety. (There's no engine lockout switch on the side stand.)
Maintenance (All DIY)
Synthetic oil and filter changes at ~2,000 mile intervals.
Three valve checks/adjustments (Very little wear).
Second Iridium plug installed at 9,000 miles (Replaced original plug at 600 miles with Iridium).
Belt/rollers/guides - One set at 9,000 miles.
Three tire brands and two rear tire sizes used. (Currently standard size Heidenau K80's).
SUMMARY:
Very reliable and fun scoot'.
Best performance upgrades: YSS rear damper with preload set at full. Front brake enhancement.
Best safety upgrades: Side stand removal and LED headlight.
Most fun activity: Back roads and track days.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Simo4181

Post by Simo4181 »

Hi Greg! Awesome information. I have a 2016 I just purchased with 5 miles. It rides great and feels solid. Can you let me know where to find the YSS Damper? Also, what LED light blue are you using and what iridium spark plug?

Would love to make these upgrades on mine. I did the running lights and they make a HUGE difference when driving at night.

Thanks, Chris
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hi Chris.
Unfortunately, I don't recall where I purchased the YSS.
However, the LED came from Scooterwest. One of the parts people helped me find it. It was not obvious on the website what LED "kit" to purchase.
The NGK spark plug part number is CR7HIX.
Ride it with a light throttle for the first 600 miles. Check the valve clearance and change the oil to synthetic and renew the filter. While you're adjusting the valve you can change the spark plug or wait for a while. The engine starts and runs slightly better with the iridium plug. When the rear tire wears out, change both for Continental Zippys or Heidenau K80's and you'll be set for 3-5 thousand miles with the rear tire and double this for the front. These aren't the only good tires but they're are in the top category.
This scoot is easy compared to its distant Italian cousins.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.