NCY Rotor and Braided Line Update

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

NCY Rotor and Braided Line Update

Post by GregsBuddy »

This weekend I installed the braided brake line to complete my front brake update. All went quite well on the installation front. The line installed with little challenge. One must force the locating grommet from its metal ring bracket to remove the OEM hose and connect the old and new hoses together with a tye wrap and pull the new line with the old line.
The challenge I had was bleeding the system. I used a MightyVac and the old fashion brake handle stroking methods and neither provided a solid brake. I'm now a bit frustrated because although the brake is more powerful than OEM, it's spongy. I'm not too excited about removing the windshield, headlight ring and upper handle bar cover to work on the brake again. I'll be taking the scoot to a track day on March 4th and will see if I MUST bleed the system more. The brake IS more powerful than the OEM, probably because the rotor is larger in OD, with more mechanical advantage on the wheel/tire.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I've found that sometimes the air bubbles that are trapped in the line, even after bleeding, will slowly make their way to the master cylinder, and be purged. You can also help purge bubbles by just squeezing the brake handle a little bit, like 1/5th of a pull, and letting it snap back. if the cap is off the master cylinder, you'll see bubbles floating up that way. Tedious, and time consuming, but it tends to work.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thanks, Stanza, I'll try that!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Do you have a picture of your brake setup?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I don't know how to attach a photo. :?:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

GregsBuddy wrote:I don't know how to attach a photo. :?:
When you're creating a post, click on "Choose File" in "ADD AN ATTACHMENT". This should take you to the pictures directory in your computer. If it does not, then just click on which ever directory your pictures are stored. Double click on the picture file you want to post. You can add a comment to the picture by typing in the box called "File Comment". Click on "Add Attachment" to add the picture to your post. You can add up to six pictures per post. Make sure each picture is no bigger than 200KB in size though. A picture that is 640x480 is a good size to fit on a typical screen. Pictures also must have one of these extensions: gif jpeg jpg png tga tif . Since most (all?) cameras, including your phone camera take much bigger picture sizes than 200KB, you'll have to reduce the picture file size before posting. I use this free online photo editor: https://pixlr.com/editor/
Works really well and it's free.

From pixlr editor, choose "Open Image From Computer"
Double click on the picture you want to edit from your directory and it will appear in the pixlr editing window. Click on "Image" from the list of commands along the top of the screen.
Choose "Image Size".
A window will pop up allowing you to enter whatever new picture size you want in width and height. Make sure "Constrain Proportions" is selected. This will allow you to enter just the width or height and pixlr will adjust the size of the picture so that the proportions are the same as you change the size.
You can also make any adjustments to the picture from here such as contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc.
When finished editing, click on "File" and choose "Save". If you want to keep the original picture size in addition to the new size as a separate file, rename your edited picture under "Name:". Click "OK" then "Save".
That's it, you're done.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Success! Thanks for the help.
Here's a photo of the finished NCY installation.
Attachments
Sorry it's sideways and fuzzy!
Sorry it's sideways and fuzzy!
Buddy disk.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 958 times
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

What brake line did you end up using

Thanks

Rick
NCY fork, NCY shock, NCY rotor, NCY super trans, Conty Zippy 1 tires,CRG bar end mirrors, Shortened rear fender, Gen-u-bin, Cheeky Seats cover
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

NCY. It's slightly long so I pulled the excess into the area under the front cover and zip tied it to a solid mounting point. The total work took about 90 minutes except bleeding, which is still not done to my satisfaction but I'm riding anyway.