In the SNOW.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

viney266

In the SNOW.

Post by viney266 »

Not a buddy, but there is a cabo in there (we own both). The quasi knobbie tire DID allow us to move in the snow, not great, but we did go anywhere we wanted.

https://carlislecycleandscooter.blogspo ... n-too.html
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

I wonder what the closest thing to a true offroad/ street-snow tire there is for a scoot. Not just tread pattern,but compound, too.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
Clydeo

Snow tires

Post by Clydeo »

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hei ... oter-tires

I have never used them, but the general internet buzz on thems is generally positive. They are pricey though!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This is the most aggressive tire I've seen in a scooter size. It will fit a Zuma and Ruckus. Grippy as hell, Killls your speed on dry pavement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxxis-M6024-S ... .l4275.c10
Attachments
Maxxis M6024
Maxxis M6024
knobby.jpg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Wasatch Scootah

Post by Wasatch Scootah »

That tire looks to have no siping, which would be crucial for a snow tire. Another thing about riding in snow: Inevitably, you will run into ice. No tire compound will work on ice. You need studs. I've gone down on ice. It happens quick!
Clydeo

Chains?

Post by Clydeo »

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever tried using tire chains on their scooters? Are such things even available? My great grandfather used to ride his Harley all year long using them. Of course that was a LONG time ago!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The main drawback with scooters on snow is the two wheels; not the tread pattern, or tire chains, or whatever. As soon as you slip, you go down. If you want to ride on snow and ice........
Attachments
Dog in Ural.jpg
Dog in Ural.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 1979 times
Clydeo

Snow

Post by Clydeo »

My experience with sidecars is extremely limited, mainly consisting of 5 minutes of sheer terror as I tried to ride a friends rig a couple of times around the block. I am sure that experienced sidecar pilots would do fine in the snow, but I would rather stick with two wheels, thank you!
I rarely ride in the snow for fun anymore, but over the years I have found myself forced to do so by circumstances. I have done ok, but I agree that it is hardly ideal! I disagree about the ice being inevitable, though, as when riding in fresh snow in colder climates I have rarely encountered ice. Riding on packed, glazed, and remelted snow is a whole lot sketchier!
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

A Ural with 2 wheel drive and the right tires is great in the snow or whatever. The only way to start riding a sidecar rig is to take your time and gradually increase your speed with a good load of ballast in the hack. I'm at 20,000 km now and still consider myself a rank beginner.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Looks like good, squirrelly fun!
Scooter Commuter
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The roughhouse does ok in the snow. Not as well as the symba did, but it’s manageable. I will say the 70cc kit did not make it more winter friendly though, the power builds up quite abruptly, and then it’s sideways. Not bad sideways, not really good sideways, just kinda keep your feet ready sideways.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"