I like a nice rack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Aloha Joe

I like a nice rack

Post by Aloha Joe »

I just ordered a Hooligan and need to get a luggage rack. I recall reading about weld failures - has that been resolved, and is Prima the only option for a Hooligan rack? Is there an OEM option?

And where do we get OEM accessories - anywhere online, or only from dealer?
Last edited by Aloha Joe on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The buddy rear rack mount coming off the frame and the Prima rack are two weak links in an otherwise great scooter. The small steel caps under the plastic contain threaded nuts. The spot welds can fail on these caps, and the weld on the nut can fail as well. Prima changed the design in 2007. It used to have a small tab coming off the cross bar to attach to above the gas tank. Then they started using bent flat stock. I've seen both designs fail more than once. On the new design they will snap at the bend. My rack snapped at the bends. I paid a lawnmower repair guy $25 to weld a big washer on top of the center mounting hole (another area prone to crack) and L iron at the bends.
Attachments
Prima rear rack repair
Prima rear rack repair
rackrepair.JPG (107.12 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Aloha Joe

Post by Aloha Joe »

I found an (older?) Genuine brochure that had scooters and accessories. It didn't have the Hooligan but it had Prima accessories (racks) which leads me to believe the Prima racks are 'OEM approved'.

I posted some thoughts in another thread about this but it looks like the attachment system - particularly for the Hooligan - is very poorly designed by Genuine/PGO. It's a pure cantilevered design with all the load being transmitted either to tack welds that hold the front threaded inserts, or to thin sheet metal brackets at the rear.

I ordered the Prima rack since it seems to be OEM approved. I chose to procure it myself so I could modify the mounts if I can come up with a better design.
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

Any attachment used, whether its a Prima or not, will be the reason your warranty will be useless if welds crack, or something else on your machine fails. I know this because I had my dealer order and install my Prima windscreen on my Hooligan, and in about 8 months the mounting points for the windscreen cracked and broke off, and Genuine refused to cover its repair under their 'iron clad' warranty because its an added accessory, not part of the scooter itself, even though Genuine themselves will recommend the Prima windscreen for the Hooligan if you inquire about a windscreen for your ride. It really was disappointing that they would not cover a repair to the factory mounts the came on the scooter for mounting the windscreen on. Kinda pisses me off, their claims about being such a great warranty is pretty much blowing smoke outta their asses. So, to sum it up, If you expect any warranty coverage, don't add anything but the required fluids, and you may be ok. Add a Prima luggage rack, crack your mounts or frame, your on your own.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I mean, recommended or not, they are still aftermarket, and installed by a third party.