New to scootin-- What accessories do I need?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

arbbunny

New to scootin-- What accessories do I need?

Post by arbbunny »

Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum-- we just purchased our first scooter (I've never even been on a scooter or motorcycle before- so wish me luck!) "new to us" scooter-- a 2009 powder blue Buddy 125!

I am looking for recommendations about what accessories have been the most useful to everyone.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!

~Allison
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

A good helmet and a 2 day rider safety course will be a good place to start. See if there is an ABATE rider's ed. chapter near you. Best not to skimp when it comes to safety.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

DeeDee is right, safety may not sound fun but its highly encouraged. I you are using the scooter for all round use, a rack and a trunk. I run SHAD brand trunks. If the dead lights have not been activated by the prior owner, get 'em running. I also like the GenUBin, kinda handy. My friend has a powder blue 125 for sale right now. Great scooter.
skipper20

Re: New to scootin-- What accessories do I need?

Post by skipper20 »

arbbunny wrote:Hi everyone!
I am new to the forum-- we just purchased our first scooter (I've never even been on a scooter or motorcycle before- so wish me luck!) "new to us" scooter-- a 2009 powder blue Buddy 125!

I am looking for recommendations about what accessories have been the most useful to everyone.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!

~Allison
Welcome aboard Allison. You've definitely found the right forum. Since you're a total newbie to riding on 2 wheels, your first "accessory" should be the certificate showing that you've completed the 2 day Motorcycle Foundation Safety (MFS) course. It applies to scooters as well. It will help you to become a safer rider and will also be a direct path to getting that all-important 2 wheel endorsement on your driver's license. Details on where and when the classes are offered should be available at any of your local scooter and motorcycle dealer's stores.
I'm assuming you already have a DOT approved helmet. Even if your state doesn't require one, don't ride without a helmet. You're courting disaster if your head is not covered. Follow this with an armored MC jacket. If you should fall while riding, and most of us have, this will give your upper body some additional protection.
I'm sure others on this forum will have some additional suggestions. Your first priority is to be safe while riding. The second one is to have fun and enjoy yourself while doing so. Again, welcome aboard!

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson (till 3/31)
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium
Clydeo

Dead lights

Post by Clydeo »

If you are new to Scootering, you may not know what the dead lights are. The USA requirements for blinker placement are different from everybody else’s. The blinkers on our Buddy’s are attachments. The production blinkers are on the front of the bike. They have been disconnected and don’t do anything now, something which confuses a lot of newbies. One of the more popular modifications for Buddy’s is to wire these deadlights back up, and use them either as running lights (which is nice, because the Buddy’s headlights are just average), while others hook them up as additional blinkers. How this is done has been discussed on this site. It doesn’t look hard, but I am having our local scooter shop (Carlisle Cycle and Scooter) do it. There charge is more than reasonable. If you are interested, just do a search for “deadlights� on this forum.
Christophers

Re: Dead lights

Post by Christophers »

Clydeo wrote:One of the more popular modifications for Buddy’s is to wire these deadlights back up, and use them either as running lights... [and/or]... as additional blinkers.
VSP is having a clearance sale on wiring kits. Look in the For Sale / Wanted section.
thatvwbusguy also sells deadlight wiring kits.
PM either directly.

Top of your list should still be safety training and safety gear!! And congrats!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
Real_Omar

Post by Real_Omar »

sc00ter wrote:DeeDee is right, safety may not sound fun but its highly encouraged. I you are using the scooter for all round use, a rack and a trunk. I run SHAD brand trunks. If the dead lights have not been activated by the prior owner, get 'em running. I also like the GenUBin, kinda handy. My friend has a powder blue 125 for sale right now. Great scooter.
Do you have top cases for the Hooligan by any chance?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Gloves. Good gloves. And welcome to Modern Buddy!
Last edited by Syd on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

As someone who uses my scooter to commute (cold, rain, and hail suck if you're not dressed for them), I like
  • full-face helmet
  • waterproof motorcycle/scooter jacket
  • waterproof pants (the kind you can slip over your jeans)
  • basket and bungee cord (I just ziptie a metal shopping basket on the back)
  • waterproof backpack/dufflebag
  • good chain and lock
  • summer and winter weight gloves (ok, I have heated gloves for winter and LOVE them)
  • reflective stickers on my helmet (for fun and safety)
  • helmet bluetooth speakers that connect to phone for listening to directions
  • windscreen (I had to remove it to transport it, and I lost some of the attachment pieces... and I miss it!)
Scooter Commuter
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I agree wth the wind screen. I usemine all winter.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Helmet. Armored gear. Gloves. Boots. Training.
Everything else can be figured out as you go.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"